Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Dark side derision

Still relatively new to the Nomad, the discussions about the darkside only became interesting as the bike started over 8k miles. I resolved I was switching at the upcoming change.

Didn't work out that way.

Angie and I set out on a 10 day excursion to the upper midwest. I thought the back tire had sufficient tread.

Near Springfield IL, when I checked my air, the rear tire was low. I filled it and the next morning, it was severely low.

Short story: I got a pirelli mc tire from the oldest Kaw dealership in the US (so says Irvin outdoor sports in Keokuk IA.)

The interesting part is the absolute disbelief of putting a car tire on. I can understand the dealership--which may be biased. However, while I was in Quincey IL trying to find a place to do the Nomad back tire, the local Kaw. franchise didn't stock or service tires and referred me to a custom cycle shop.

I pumped up the tire and rode over to "Mean Cycles." He would swap out the tire if I could find one. When I mentioned the possibility of a car tire, he and a friend laughed with derision. I patiently tried to exain the benefits to no avail.

He said he'd do it, but I'd "be signing a waiver." No tire places had the SP5000 in stock, then I found Irvins.

The intensity of the derision surprised me. It was like trying to talk politics or religion with people who are not nearly as open-minded, mentally-gifted, generally-good looking and as on the right track as myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Dark side derision

Most negative reactions are from people that have not done any research and react only to the concept. The arguments are always the same, and they refuse to listen. Two of my friends would fit that category, until they rode my bike with the CT and realized the bike handles fine and the only noticeable difference they both found was the bikes desire to 'stand up' when cornering without a little more input. My dealer had the same reaction, but could care less what they think after some of the service work they have done in the past.

For me the reality was that there are a lot of guys doing it, with no horror stories directly related to the CT that I have ever heard.

It works for me, but is not for everyone or every bike. Each person should do the research, read, read, read to make sure they understand the differences before jumping to the Darkside, but once there I have no regrets.

2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 08-04-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

Dark side derision

Personally speaking, and probably an unpopular view, car tires are for cars and motorcycle tires are for motorcycles.

Think about the amount of tire thread gripping the road on a sharp turn. For my money, and safety, I'd rather have a rounded motorcycle tire than a flat car tire... Seems logical... ::)

Now, let the discussion begin :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhamlin
Still relatively new to the Nomad, the discussions about the darkside only became interesting as the bike started over 8k miles. I resolved I was switching at the upcoming change.

Didn't work out that way.

Angie and I set out on a 10 day excursion to the upper midwest. I thought the back tire had sufficient tread.

Near Springfield IL, when I checked my air, the rear tire was low. I filled it and the next morning, it was severely low.

Short story: I got a pirelli mc tire from the oldest Kaw dealership in the US (so says Irvin outdoor sports in Keokuk IA.)

The interesting part is the absolute disbelief of putting a car tire on. I can understand the dealership--which may be biased. However, while I was in Quincey IL trying to find a place to do the Nomad back tire, the local Kaw. franchise didn't stock or service tires and referred me to a custom cycle shop.

I pumped up the tire and rode over to "Mean Cycles." He would swap out the tire if I could find one. When I mentioned the possibility of a car tire, he and a friend laughed with derision. I patiently tried to exain the benefits to no avail.

He said he'd do it, but I'd "be signing a waiver." No tire places had the SP5000 in stock, then I found Irvins.

The intensity of the derision surprised me. It was like trying to talk politics or religion with people who are not nearly as open-minded, mentally-gifted, generally-good looking and as on the right track as myself.
This is the common response you'll get. The place that mounted my car tire would accept cash only and they wouldn't provide me a receipt because they didn't want a paper trail.

It's just ignorance and fear (of a lawsuit). I didn't even bother asking my dealer the question. I did inquire at another dealer who owns 2 stores and they told me "no way, too dangerous".
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #5

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe (mrfuni) #250
Personally speaking, and probably an unpopular view, car tires are for cars and motorcycle tires are for motorcycles.

Think about the amount of tire thread gripping the road on a sharp turn. For my money, and safety, I'd rather have a rounded motorcycle tire than a flat car tire... Seems logical... ::)

Common argument, but the testing shows that there is actually more tire in contact with the road on a CT (with the proper inflation). The CT 'deforms' keeping a larger contact patch, when you get to the angle that this would be an issue, you are already in more trouble than a MT will get you out of.

But like I said, everyone has to be comfortable with what they ride, and for some it is not an option.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dark side derision

Just like the misconception that a round tire has more tread on the ground in a turn than a car tire Joe!

It's been shown on camera and in testing side by side that a car tire delivers more rubber on the ground in a turn than motorcycle tires but non believers are just that!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #7

Dark side derision

i'll side with joe on this one.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 08-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Dark side derision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe (mrfuni) #250

If I believed this I would never have switched to a car tire.

However, I have absolutely no interest in trying to change anyones mind. If someone asks about my experience with a car tire I will glady relate that to them. But, I will not try to convince them that they should try it.

It's well known that the motorcycle tires work.

It's also known, albeit less well known, that certain car tires on certain motorcycles work just as well, if not better.

If a person doesn't want to consider other options it really doesn't matter.

Each person has to do what they're comfortable with doing.

It's definitely not worth arguing about.

P.S. My bike has a slightly greater lean angle than a 1600 Nomad with a stock 170/70-16 motorcycle tire. This is due to the fact that my 195/80-16 is three inches taller than the stock tire. Therefore I can lean at a sharper angle than a bike with the stock tire. I have dragged my boards on many of the turns in the Dragon with my car tire. I really doubt that anyone with a stock 1600 Nomad with a stock tire (no sticky racing tires) can go through the Dragon any better than I can with my car tire. Maybe they will even be slower due to their limited lean angle.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #9

Dark side derision

You wouldn't believe the guff I got when I posted that I put a ct on my Nomad on a shooting forum I belong too. The un informed usually go nuts with wild conjecture, and false reasoning. I have been kind of surprised at the reaction I get when I tell people face to face. Usually bikers themselves, they look at my bike, look at the tire, and it usually ends up with a lot of curiosity. I tell them all that I would not recommend it, but then give equal time to telling how it has changed my ride, and how I will not be going back to a mc tire, at least on this size bike. A lot of people who ride cruisers are very receptive to the idea, and when actually seeing how much tire is on the ground while it sits on the kick stand, people actually say, "I will have to look into that". Like I said, I wouldn't recommend it, but I am hooked, and wouldn't change for anything. I love it. I agree with what has been said before, DO YOUR RESEARCH. I did mine, you need to do yours, it is worth the time. I also agree, it is certainly not worth arguing about. I found that on the shooting forum, most of the people that had a problem with it are, well, I don't like to insult them horses with the long ears if you get the picture. Know it alls who know everything, no matter what. If you don't like the idea, don't do it. Something else I found interesting, in all my research, I never found one instance where the car tire caused, or was related to an accident. I would be interested if anyone else found the same thing in doing there research. You would think that since so many people are Darksiding, that if there was a problem, we would have heard about it.

Guess the bottom line is "you want me to climb into that thing, and it is going to fly? No thank you, if God wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings". Sorry if it sounds sarcastic, but it kind of fits.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #10

Dark side derision

I put a ct on my bike on June 17th. That was over 7000 miles ago. Since then I have travel from Pacific to Atlantic, from 12,183 feet about sea level (Rocky Mtn. National Park) to 282 feet below sea level (Death Valley National Park) and I have NEVER had any instance where the ct gave me problems or concerns. I'm very happy with it and glad that I still have plenty of tread to last me the rest of the season-and next season-and probably the season after that.

:)
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Dark side derision

I would be more concern if an experience gear head like Mac stated "motorcycle tires are for motorcycles and car tires are for cars and that's that!! :(" title="" border="0"/> :(" title="" border="0"/> "

I've enjoyed the "inovative thinking" that lots have on this forum. Kinda of like taxes: 5% pay 90% of the taxes and:

5% of the members come up with 99% of the solutions to problems or questions or modification to Nomads.

90% of those 5%ers run car tires!

Can't paint any clearer picture than that!! ;)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #12

Dark side derision

I was at a charity ride a couple weeks ago and we got talking about car tires. There was an older rider there who wouldn't even listen to the fact thay guys are using them with no problems. He insisted on how its not possible and how the bike would slide out from under you on corners. Some people just seem to walk around with blinders on.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Dark side derision

Il'd be dead meat if I DIDN'T have a CAR Tire on the back and right now!

This thing is over blown first off, and just shows how new dealers and riders are to riding in the first place.

Just look at old HD adds and old HD pics and you will find square tires on all of those bikes..

No cruiser comes close to the lean angles Sport bikes do, not even Dan Lund can lean his Nomad over as far as a good sport bike rider can on a sport bike.

This is 81 feet of fried on the road rubber from last Saturday night, and while my ft fender took a beating that was all of mine that took a beating.

Some math tells me I needed 11 more feet. The tire is a Dunlop Sport SP 5000 in 195/60 R 16. The ft is a new D251F radial same as Vn 2000 ... That rubber is there too, but thinner and so invisable.

The break is my trying to get the wheels to turn again.

The side patch next off to the right is from someone else some other time.

The Cherokee Jeep I hit stopped dead with no brakes what so ever. I mean right now, stopped dead, right here right now....

On a 1600 Nomad there simply is no good reason to ride on a mc tire period, on the back.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Dark side derision

Good to hear you still typing mac. :-)

Old 08-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Dark side derision

Well it works fer me, but I dunno how it is for the rest if youy guys

06 1600 Nomad