Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #1

Finally got a tach!

My birthday present came the other day, a 3" Barons Tach with white face dial. The intallation is so darn easy it took all of 45 minutes. It's just fascinating to see how low the Nomad revvs at any given speed; I almost feel like I lugged her for too long. Now I have a way better means of making the best out of every gear.

My handlebar is fully decked out now, with switch for the light bar, a Barefoot Willie's drink caddy, RAM GPS mount and the tach

For anyone looking to add a tach to their scoot, I think the Barons are the top of the line (I was told they are way better than the Cobra but I have no factual comparison). Fully chromed, very heavy construction, the inner dial can be rotated in case you mount it off center, back-lit. Absolutely no comparion to those cheapo $50 ones offered on eBay. About $170 at the usual online stores; you need the 1-inch version for the Nomad handlebar.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
VBA Founder

Finally got a tach!

Cool...glad you got one. I had mine installed right after I got my Nomad. It is interesting how low a twin can rev and still have the torque it has.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 04-10-2009, 09:12 AM   #3

Finally got a tach!

I would love to see a pic of it.
Chris

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #4

Finally got a tach!

Hello on the Isle of Long! Will try to make a picture as soon as I get a chance and it's not raining ;)

The site from where I bought it with pics and description can be found HERE.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Finally got a tach!

Pictures would be great as a tach is on my short list (how hard would it have been for MawKaw to have added a digital tach to the LCD display?) I would like to have known where the rev limiter kicked in in first and second gears when i hit it.

530 miles, I think it is broke in now ::) ::) ::)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

Finally got a tach!

Jack, the rev limiter on the 1600 FI's kick in around 5,900 rpm but you will only reach that in 1st and 2nd, maybe in 3rd. Interestingly, the max torque is produced at only 2,500 rpm, stays flat for a little while and then drops sharply. Goes to support Gadget's suggestion never to shift below 2,500 rpm for maximum performance. Again, pics as soon as I can get out to make one, probably on Sunday.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #7

Finally got a tach!

I shift when the limiter kicks in..

Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #8

Finally got a tach!

personally i think all bikes should have a tach.i have the OEM
unit on my 1600.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 04-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Finally got a tach!

Glad you got one moenke. I have been wanting that same tach for a couple yrs. That $170 is a good price, ususally $200. Did you put it between the riser? i have Phatt ll risers so I guess it would fit? What hot wire did you wire it too for the light? Enjoy

Dennis

Old 04-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Finally got a tach!

Whoever wants one better hurry up, sale ends today. That will probably be one I get sometime this year. I agree they should be stock.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #11

Finally got a tach!

Hi Dennis,

first off, greetings to Austin, my home for 2 years in the mid-90s. Lived near the Arboretum and can only imagine how things changed. Wonder if Dan McCluskey's Steakhouse is still there - I will never forget their steaks ;)

Actually I had to mount the tach on the right side of the handlebar; in the middle is my RAM mount for my GPS, which I didn't want to switch too far to the right as not having to use the throttle hand to operate it. I will have a picture of my setup by Sunday eve.

The hook up is the most simple procedure ever (and I have hooked up a few electrical things on bikes before). You don't even have to go into the headlight bucket at all, nor do you need a single fire adapter like you would on the VN900 or VN2000.

I ran the entire tach cable (containing 4 wires) to the right side ignition coil, which I could easily reach without removing the tank. The tach comes with all connectors you need, so you connect the green wire to the black (negative) wire of the coil by means of a stack connector (all supplied). Red and blue wires from the tach connect to the other (positive) side of the coil (a green/orange wire if I remember right). Again with a stack connector. Then you have one wire left from that tach which is black (ground) - connected that to one of the screws that secures the coil to the frame with the supplied ring connector. This way it's a clean, simple installation and can be undone just as quickly if you ever sell the bike.

BINGO - turn the key, the backlight comes on. Fire her up and the tach comes to life.

There is not a lot of space to mess with the connectors and the coil but I did it, partially with help of a pair of needlenose pliers, but mainly just with my hands.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 PM   #12

Finally got a tach!

LOL, Jamie, I promise you the sales doesn't end tomorrow - that website always lists their product as "Sales ends ... (today) or (tomorrow's date). Just a gimmick, I am quite sure that price will be good for a while longer ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep24
Whoever wants one better hurry up, sale ends today. That will probably be one I get sometime this year. I agree they should be stock.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:20 PM   #13

Finally got a tach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moenko
My birthday present came the other day, a 3" Barons Tach with white face dial. The intallation is so darn easy it took all of 45 minutes. It's just fascinating to see how low the Nomad revvs at any given speed; I almost feel like I lugged her for too long. Now I have a way better means of making the best out of every gear.

My handlebar is fully decked out now, with switch for the light bar, a Barefoot Willie's drink caddy, RAM GPS mount and the tach

For anyone looking to add a tach to their scoot, I think the Barons are the top of the line (I was told they are way better than the Cobra but I have no factual comparison). Fully chromed, very heavy construction, the inner dial can be rotated in case you mount it off center, back-lit. Absolutely no comparion to those cheapo $50 ones offered on eBay. About $170 at the usual online stores; you need the 1-inch version for the Nomad handlebar.
I went to the site. What exactly does this tack do that my cheapo $50 one that I bought on Ebay won't ???
Mine tells me RPM's and left me $120 for gas ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #14

Finally got a tach!

Well TC, why do we spend any money on name brands like Küryakyn? Because they look better, are sturdier build and because we like to have the best possible because we love our bikes ;) I used to have the eBay tach on the C50. Needle was shaking like leaves in fall up to 2000 rpm and the whole unit just looked flimsy. I have no stakes in Barons, just like the quality and looks of it (bullet-style rear). It weighs about 2 pounds and is fully chromed. Just a personal choice, bud!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Finally got a tach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moenko
LOL, Jamie, I promise you the sales doesn't end tomorrow - that website always lists their product as "Sales ends ... (today) or (tomorrow's date). Just a gimmick, I am quite sure that price will be good for a while longer ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiep24
I fell for that too when I ordered a cobra luggage rack back in February from cruisercustomizing. It's still on sale, but hurry sales ends today. ::)