Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #31

Baxter vs. Kawasaki Motors

Only people that will get anything is the lawyers. It had to go "class action" because as an individual,he wouldn't gotten it heard in court.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2010, 09:16 PM   #32
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
It says in my letter if I want to opt out all I have to do is send a request for exclusion by March 22, 2010.
I got it today. Guess what day it is. March 22, 2010. :-/
I think the sound of those stock pipes is getting to you TC.....you better go get you some A/M's quick so you are not a month ahead!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #33

Honda went through a very similar lawsuit a few years ago with their cars. A guy who leased a Honda was charged an mileage fee when he returned the car with too many miles on it. He claimed that since the odometer was racking up extra miles this cost him some money since he actually didn't travel as many miles as indicated. He has a good point. I don't know the outcome of the lawsuit.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #34

I believe the law he is citing says that the odo has to be accurate and that they did something specific to intentionally make it innacurate. Most companies wouldn't risk doing antything like this unless there was a profit to be made and they seiously felt they wouldn't get caught. Since the warranty is unlimited miles the only potential profit would be in increased service fees, but since the intervals are measured in thousands of miles, it really wouldn't benefit that much, perhaps just a few extra oil changes over the life of the bike. Definitely not worth the risk of bad publicity.
Given the power, I would not have allowed this to come to court. Until we eliminate commisions for lawyers and make losers actually pay costs of the winner, then there is no down side to filing crap like this.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 02-22-2010, 10:54 PM   #35

Got mine today too. I have checked my odometer with the mile markers on the highway several times and after 10 miles on the markers, my odometer is at almost 11 miles so I would guess it's off about 8% fast. The same holds true for the speedometer. If I get any money for that I pledge to put it right back into the bike. Maybe a gallon of gas!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
(Has anyone else noticed an unusual increase in "complications" for Japanese manufacturers that sell products in the U.S. lately? ...or has it just been a coincidence relative to "other" issues here? ???)
Good question Greg. I'm starting to wonder also. Toyota has major problems that are being investigated by the very people who own GM and Chrysler. Now MaKaw is being threatened with a potentially very costly lawsuit. It may all be coincidence but the timing is interesting.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
Would the second owner of a bike get one? Maybe that is why I didn't get one.
If you went to Ma Kaw and tranferred the owner info into your name then you should get one. I am the 2nd owner and did the transfer at the dealer. To get warranty, recall, and class action lawsuit info.

I received my notice today as well. My odometer adds more miles than driven as compared to my gps. There has been some debate whether the speedo is related to the odo on the bikes. Some say their speedo is correct and the odo is off. Some say the speedo is off and the odo is correct. I am in the class that both are off. Oh well. I'll supersize my burger meal if/when the check arrives.
Do you are anyone else know if this is something that can be done on Kawis website or if I have to go into a dealership?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 AM   #38

Send a message via Yahoo to ruruson1

I've never check mine. can't say I care to much. I know where I want to go so I go there. just enjoy the ride not the numbers.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #39

I got one as well yesterday, my experience with class action law suites is that the lawyers are usually the only ones who make out . also they tend to wast taxpayer money and clog our courts.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:22 AM   #40

I got mine yesterday too, though I really haven't lost much sleep over the milage error.
VBA #00671

Old 02-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #41
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBob

If you went to Ma Kaw and tranferred the owner info into your name then you should get one. I am the 2nd owner and did the transfer at the dealer. To get warranty, recall, and class action lawsuit info.

I received my notice today as well. My odometer adds more miles than driven as compared to my gps. There has been some debate whether the speedo is related to the odo on the bikes. Some say their speedo is correct and the odo is off. Some say the speedo is off and the odo is correct. I am in the class that both are off. Oh well. I'll supersize my burger meal if/when the check arrives.
Do you are anyone else know if this is something that can be done on Kawis website or if I have to go into a dealership?
I did it at the dealer. 5 mins. They just change the VINs to your name for MaKaws records. You will need registration/proof of ownership.

Its always a good thing to do on ANY late model vehicle you own, that you are not the original owner, to get the latest info.

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 02-23-2010, 09:58 AM   #42

I'm not saying that I'm waiting for a $2.00 check but as I said before there's no reason to be that far off. Large companies need a kick in the pants once in awhile to make corrections that effect consumers. You know many companies put money first and consumers after, and even Toyota is suspected of not handling their car problems in a timely fashion. You know years ago I wish that someone would have sued Ford for the front end set up on the F-150. No zerks to put grease in and I'm not sure that's ever been corrected. That resulted in front ends needing parts replaced at the consumers expense. Just think of it, ront end parts because $.50 part and a little extra time.

Yea I guess I'm in the minority as far as the lawsuit goes but if there's an issue, correct it then.

Do I think there's some kind of timing issue with this lawsuit...........NAAAAAA.

Although...........maybe one of those Harley guys wanted to cost Kawaski more money so they'd raise the price of the Nomad so it get's closer to the price of a Harley.

[/quote author=nomadwest board=general thread=15670 post=245597 time=1266897259]Got mine today too. I have checked my odometer with the mile markers on the highway several times and after 10 miles on the markers, my odometer is at almost 11 miles so I would guess it's off about 8% fast. The same holds true for the speedometer. If I get any money for that I pledge to put it right back into the bike. Maybe a gallon of gas!

[/quote]

Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #43
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney

I got mine yesterday. Pointless lawsuit. Great way to make the lawyers rich.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #44

:-[ OK guys, the wife just told me it is still February. I got on here hoping no one would notice my brain fart but I shoud a know better. ;)
Wait till they get my letter opting out of the law suit and telling them they should mail stuff before the due date if they expect us to get back to them in time.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #45
Top Contributor

The more that opt out will increase the settlement for those who don't. If there is one.

Just think, if he wins the lawsuit and enough people opt out, those who stayed in may get enough to buy TWO cups of coffee rather than only ONE!!!!!!!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009