Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #1

Loud Pipes under attack

I sat in on a city council meeting the other day for personal reasons...

There was a proposal put before the council to start ticketing motorcycles with loud pipes as they are offensive to good image of our city. They had a detailed list of testing methods and standards and it all came down to a judgement call on the part of the police officer. The premise is that if the officer can hear the bikes exhaust for more that 100 feet, under normal conditions, they could initiate a stop and check for baffles in the pipes. If there are no baffles, automatic ticket as it fails a standard Texas motorcycle safety inspection. If there are baffles, they would use a Db meter to measure the sound of the pipes at three feet from the end of the pipe at 1000 Rpm and issue a ticket with the amount of the fine dependent on the level of the reading. During the stop the officer could also issue tickets for additional safety violations such as having too tall of "ape hanger" bars, no signal lights on a bike that was originally equipped with them, lack of a working front brake, etc.

I asked to and was permitted to address the council and suggested we all step outside for a little demonstration. They agreed (small town) and I asked a PO to mark off 100 feet in the parking lot. I pulled my bike to one end of the marked off area and had the council stand at the other. I asked them if they could hear my exhaust at that distance and all agreed that they could hear it clearly. I pointed out that my Nomad had stock OEM pipes with no modifications, so under the proposal pretty much every motorcycle on the road would be open to receive a ticket.

We all went back inside to continue discussions and it turns out the council member just built a new $250K+ house within three blocks of an MC's clubhouse and wants to force them to move to improve the property values. They also feel that as our town is now on the map for temporary residents from northern climes, we should improve our image by reducing the number of motorcycles in the city. Everyone knows that motorcycles are nothing but trouble and their riders don't contribute to the local economy to any real degree. I was very happy to point out that approximately 50% of those temporary residents that they were speaking of rode motorcycles and that if we make it tough on the bikes, they will probably go somewhere else to stay the winter.

This is the kind of stupid things that happen if we don't pay attention. If someone hadn't spoken up this could have become a city ordinance with very little trouble.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Loud Pipes under attack

Sounds like a "witch hunt" to me. The council member who built the new house was trying to use city ordinances for his/her own personal enrichment. You are right, a lot of retirees or "snow birds" ride. There are hundreds of thousands of them here in the Phoenix area, and I see lots of them on bikes, mostly Goldwings and Harleys.

I don't think it is simply loud pipes they were after. It sounds like they'd be happy to rid your town of motorcycles altogether.

Thanks for standing up for the rights of all bikers by bringing common sense into a meeting where common sense seems to be in short supply.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Loud Pipes under attack

Yes thanks "gunner". Glad you were there. It must be a small town if they'll entertain suggestions from the peanut gallery.

And Scott, no plans on banning bikes in Phoenix are there LOL. Cause there's a real good chance I'll be buying down there some time soon. I'm hopeful. Talking with a Realtor off and on now.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Loud Pipes under attack

Nah, just stay out of the town of Carefree, they have a vehicle noise limit. It's kind of funny because there are a number of big biker hangouts there and the town is biting the hand that feeds them.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-19-2010, 05:51 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Loud Pipes under attack

@ afgunner - suggestion you contact the AMA and ask for their help in killing this planned city/town legislation. I read often in their mag about cities and towns trying to ban motorcycles. Not a legal eagle here but there is something about federal government funds using for roadworks and that would be a hindrance in passing this kind of law. Contact them and discuss it...it might be a big help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Loud Pipes under attack

It is a good thing that you were there to present the other side of the argument. Too often "group think" takes over without any dissent present and the participants will follow one another down a rat hole that makes no sense.

On the other side of this discussion I can certainly sympathize with the noise issue. There are several MC owners in my neighborhood who feel that EVERYONE needs to delight in the tones of their pipes even if they come home at zero dark nothin'. Communities need to find a way to control the obnoxious while still welcoming the law abiding. It is a puzzle.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #7

Loud Pipes under attack

Its good that you just happened to be there during that meeting. Often council will suggest some lame brain idea just so they feel like they are doing something.
Here they banned lawn pesticides last year for residential use for enviromental concerns. However we live in an area that is surrounded with dozens of golf courses, and many ponds, and creeks, and they are excempt from the ban. A golf course will spray more chemicals in a week than most homeowners will in a season or more easily. It all depends on how hard you pound your drum.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #8

Loud Pipes under attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)

On the other side of this discussion I can certainly sympathize with the noise issue. There are several MC owners in my neighborhood who feel that EVERYONE needs to delight in the tones of their pipes even if they come home at zero dark nothin'. Communities need to find a way to control the obnoxious while still welcoming the law abiding. It is a puzzle.

I agree. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy. I've heard baffelectomy bikes, and don't consider them annoying or damaging to our sport, but I've heard many other straight pipes that are.

There is a big intersection about 2 blocks from my place, but it's not on the street I live on. At times I can hear a bike approaching it (so further than 2 blocks away) Hear it blip while sitting at the red, and hear them leave it and go through all the gears. All in all, I can hear it in an obnoxious way for 6-8 blocks.

People like me who ride don't like it, and people who don't ride hate it even worse. From an evolutionary standpoint, wanting everyone to know you are in their neighborhood by being so loud is a way of "bulking up" for perceived deficits in manliness. Generally from small body size, or a small p***s. ;)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:37 AM   #9

Loud Pipes under attack

+1 ON WHAT KEN SAID.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Loud Pipes under attack

I agree with all on this subject. We have all got to pay attention to what goes on politically whether it be bikes, cars or guns. One thing that really burns me is dark, tinted windows. Most states or cities and towns have ordinances against this. But, I see cars everyday that I can't see into. I sure wish they would enforce that one.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM   #11

Loud Pipes under attack

Sounds like you found the secret to the PC police... its the non-smokers shooting at the smokers, its the vegitarians shooting at the meat eaters, its the diet pop drinkers shooting at the regular pop drinkers and so on and so on........ all the way to how your motorcycle sounds and is it even safe to ride them. Not to mention if you ride a motorcycle, what kind of person that means you are..... the prudes are running the country and counties now....

Personal Freedoms have progressed to a be defined in the eye of the law creators and their "limited" vision of what they dont or do. Basically if it doesnt effect them, it should be outlawed.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 04-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #12

Loud Pipes under attack

Realy, loud pipes bother some people ???
I did not know that ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Loud Pipes under attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I agree with all on this subject. We have all got to pay attention to what goes on politically whether it be bikes, cars or guns. One thing that really burns me is dark, tinted windows. Most states or cities and towns have ordinances against this. But, I see cars everyday that I can't see into. I sure wish they would enforce that one.
Ever been to Las Vegas or Phoenix? Everyone has tinted windows. It's how we keep from bursting into flames while driving.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Loud Pipes under attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
@ afgunner - suggestion you contact the AMA and ask for their help in killing this planned city/town legislation. I read often in their mag about cities and towns trying to ban motorcycles. Not a legal eagle here but there is something about federal government funds using for roadworks and that would be a hindrance in passing this kind of law. Contact them and discuss it...it might be a big help.
You also might try alerting your local or state ABATE chapter about this, if you have one.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #15

Loud Pipes under attack

Who is going to enforce the noise law? There is already a federal law that prohibits tampering with vehicle exhaust. Nobody seems to care.
I would gladly support noise ordinance laws in residential areas at night. Some people are plain selfish and would ride with straight pipes at night waking everybody up. That's stupid and very arrogant.
Back when I lived in Phoenix we had a problem with a Harley rider. He would leave for work at 3 AM and rattle windows a block away. I think he really enjoyed setting car alarms off too. A few calls to police took care of that. They nailed him and he deserved it.
On the other hand some people would love to see all bikes gone just because they don't like them.