Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #31

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarleybill08

i don't think i will learn anything by reading the perils of others. recognizing and avoiding danger comes pretty much natural for me. if it does'nt , you better not be riding a motorcycle.

That's not how it is for most humans. Cops, Blue Angel pilots, and all kinds of people get complacent, and need reminders to stay on top of things.

I know that when Cactus Jack or someone posted about the garbage truck running over 5 or so bikes stopped at a light, I was at least a little more diligent at looking in my mirrors.

If you truly don't need any reminders to stay vigilant, you are always riding with the intensity of a top level racer, riding in one of the most important races of the year. Top level Olympic athletes get at least a little more focused during the Olympics. Look at all the records that get set there. People are at their best there.

I can't maintain that level of concentration all the time, and neither can almost every other human. For me, reminders help me stay at least a little more focused on what ever category of slip up caused the accident that I read about.

I wonder if any of the Blue Angels have ever ducked out of their roll call/safety briefing saying, "Hey, I don't need any reminders; I already know everything I need to know, and if the rest of you don't already know it, you shouldn't be pilots" then puts his helmet on and walks out to the plane skipping the safety briefing altogether?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #32

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:

i don't think i will learn anything by reading the perils of others. recognizing and avoiding danger comes pretty much natural for me. if it does'nt , you better not be riding a motorcycle.

That's not how it is for most humans. Cops, Blue Angel pilots, and all kinds of people get complacent, and need reminders to stay on top of things.

I know that when Cactus Jack or someone posted about the garbage truck running over 5 or so bikes stopped at a light, I was at least a little more diligent at looking in my mirrors.

If you truly don't need any reminders to stay vigilant, you are always riding with the intensity of a top level racer, riding in one of the most important races of the year. Top level Olympic athletes get at least a little more focused during the Olympics. Look at all the records that get set there. People are at their best there.

I can't maintain that level of concentration all the time, and neither can almost every other human. For me, reminders help me stay at least a little more focused on what ever category of slip up caused the accident that I read about.

I wonder if any of the Blue Angels have ever ducked out of their roll call/safety briefing saying, "Hey, I don't need any reminders; I already know everything I need to know, and if the rest of you don't already know it, you shouldn't be pilots" then puts his helmet on and walks out to the plane skipping the safety briefing altogether?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #33

Please Take No offense!!

Quote:

Old 07-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #34

Please Take No offense!!

Funny you mentioned the Blue Angels Dan... I just spent some time in Orlando with a former BA. His whole session was about learning from mistakes (your own and others); and mentally staying on top of the game.

Many might not know it; but the BA's actually go through their entire show while sitting in a room -- and sometimes holding little model F-18's. They say all of the instructions they'll speak for the maneuvers; and some will even "grunt" when they know at that point of the show they'll have to contract their stomach muscles against g-forces. This is done before every show; every time without fail.

Then after the show they do a very similar thing in a review session to discuss any of the mistakes that were made.

(as a side note: the BA pilots do not wear g-suits for their performances... they have to "gut it out" during high g-force maneuvers.)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Please Take No offense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson

Many might not know it; but the BA's actually go through their entire show while sitting in a room -- and sometimes holding little model F-18's. They say all of the instructions they'll speak for the maneuvers; and some will even "grunt" when they know at that point of the show they'll have to contract their stomach muscles against g-forces.
I see you still must be playing with your Tonka Toys Greg!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads