Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

I'm about to get kicked off the board-Saying bye

Just saying goodbye to all my friends here on the board.

Trip is near kicking me off, and that rubs me wrong greatly. I hate the feeling of a sword hanging by a thread over my head, but even more so, I really dislike controlling people who want to micro manage what I can say, though he doesn't do it too others who have free reign to say what they want no matter how offensive.

Here's what he had to say in a thread on the debate board, and my reply. Keep in mind that I didn't say anything at all about the Vietnam war, or Vietnam war veterans at all.

It has been great knowing you guys. If you are ever in Colorado, look me up. If you are traveling through Utah, I know about every road there too. Feel free to hit me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
While I'm not a Vietnam vet, I did grow up in that era. I was in the draft, just didn't have my number come up until after Nixon killed the draft. Many of my friends were killed in Vietnam. I hold that time near and dear to my heart.

Dan, to make a statement that we are old farts that don't stand up for what they believe in is a travesty. Ever heard of passing the torch? We can't do it forever. What's your generation doing to help in the fight? Looks to me all they do is whine and speak of their "entitlement".

While I try to promote free speech in this board, I won't put up with name calling.

I don't mind you asking why we aren't doing something, just don't call anyone or any generation a derogatory name.

So Dan, I think an apology to all of the Vietnam Vets and Vietnam era aged gentlemen of this forum is in order. As I have stated before, I have no problems kicking anyone off this board for their actions. You are not entitled and you are not an exception.

You're kidding me???

Not singling anyone out, not saying a thing about the Vietnam war at all, talking about protesters at the 68 National convention and other social change protesters and calling them old farts could get you kicked off the board?

I left my moderator position because Trip told me I couldn't talk about getting a ticket the way I did(wasn't even the visor ticket) because I was a moderator. By the way, go back through the staff board and see who it was the suggested the national rally be at Custer and got the ball rolling there. It was me. See who suggested that we have a National Rally and Regional rallies every other year alternating, it was me. Have the Nation switch sides of the country every other time, it was me.

I've contributed to this site, and I'm in danger of getting kicked off for calling sixties social change protester "old farts"?

First it was the staff site that you were getting too heavy of a hand with saying what can be said by a staff member on the boards(no talk about tickets, and it wasn't even the one with a manbelly, it was the calm as can be one).

You yourself Trip post racist comments, but let them stand. I call a group that perhaps nobody on this board belongs to "Old farts" and I'm in danger of getting kicked off.

This place is starting to get too many rules. And one group is free to say what they want(right wing extremists) and nothing is ever said. But if you say something that doesn't sound Republican enough, you might get kicked off.

A year or so ago I made a post that clipped all the offensive stuff that was posted by others, and it was a huge list of truly offensive stuff, but I might get kicked off for the phrase "old farts"?

Trip, you can have your board just the way you want it. You can hate the president, hate the speaker of the house and call them all kinds of derogatory names, you yourself can make racist comments against all blacks, but I can't say "Old farts" with regard to sixties social change protesters.

It will annoy me too much to try to keep up with what the rules allow. What truly offensive stuff is fine, and what mildly offensive stuff isn't allowed. So I'll save you the trouble of kicking me out, and show myself to the door. Bye.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Oh Dan, you've got to be kidding us right? You love to stirr the pot...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #3

If I were the moderator... I would pull this thread... ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Sounds like a great idea to me GL. Dan I didn't hear an apology from you. Guess you are never wrong. If I am wrong I apologize. You were wrong in saying the things you did about my generation and the ones before me. We damn sure didn't drop the ball.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 07-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #5

As long as the post is on the proper board 'NNR" than I see no issue. Dan's post does not sound directed to any one person but more a general comment. There are many posts on the NNR board that are offensive to me. I just ignore them as I'm here to talk about Nomads. I agree with Dan that the NNR board is biased. A LOT of the post express opinions, which is exactly what they are "opinions" in most cases not facts, that could be considered racist, antigoverment, pro-religious and any other adjative you want to come up with.

It's called freedom of speech. While Trip may own this forum and thereby have the right to do as he pleases, Dan also has the right to speak as he pleases as long as he does not directly attack anyone. Generalized speech should be allowed. Just don't read his posts if you don't like it. I have learned not to read posts on the NNR board made by certain members as they consistently express opinions that I find totally stupid and offensive and should not be allowed to post, however they keep doing it over and over.

Same goes for the lighter side board, if we are going to reject posts because someone took offense than this board should be eliminated. But because it is on the lighter side board it's allowed.

Just don't read it if you don't like it....
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Trip gave us this forum because of all the whiners complaining about posting in the "wrong" forum.... well if we can't let this forum flow in any direction ....

Hey it's not our board and it can be turned into Tiananmen Square or "I'll force this Health Care Bill down you throats whether you like it or not cause I'm the President." as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't care less.

Don't let it control your life or your feelings..... members from the beginning know what BD had to go through as a "once moderator" and I tossed it out with the morning trash...

Feelings are only hurt if you attach meaning to being here. Think about it Dan..

Plan a ride this weekend, have fun and move past this.....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James "Bubba" Andreu
As long as the post is on the proper board 'NNR" than I see no issue. Dan's post does not sound directed to any one person but more a general comment.

It's called freedom of speech. While Trip may own this forum and thereby have the right to do as he pleases, Dan also has the right to speak as he pleases as long as he does not directly attack anyone. Generalized speech should be allowed. Just don't read his posts if you don't like it. I have learned not to read posts on the NNR board made by certain members as they consistently express opinions that I find totally stupid and offensive and should not be allowed to post, however they keep doing it over and over.

Same goes for the lighter side board, if we are going to reject posts because someone took offense than this board should be eliminated. But because it is on the lighter side board it's allowed.

Just don't read it if you don't like it....
Agreed... except some of the verbiage WAS a bit on the edge of being personal attacks. At least that was my impression of the posts.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #8

Seems to me a bunch of people have differing opinions and you're all getting your feeling hurt. The whole thing seems kinda silly to me. I read this and the whole other thread, and none of it would seem to be too outta hand. I've seen much worse on many forums.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
VBA Founder

Dan, you should repost the WHOLE conversation, not just a part. Tell everyone how you slandered all of the Vietnam Vets here on the board.

Cool down or I will be forced to take you off.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #10

It's time for cooler heads to prevail.

Remember it's extremely easy to forget basic social skills while sitting in front of a keyboard.

There are real people out there we are communicating with.

Chill and go for a ride. Then make up.

MT
VBA 936

Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Dan, you should repost the WHOLE conversation, not just a part. Tell everyone how you slandered all of the Vietnam Vets here on the board.

Cool down or I will be forced to take you off.

Trip
I would like to read the whole conversation, where is it?
I don't see anything where he slandered all of the Vietnam Vets and I have read every post in this and the ticket thread. ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #12

TC, read the NNR board thread "Ticket..."
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 07-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #13

James, as I said, I don't see anything where he slandered all or any of the Vietnam Vets and I have read every post in this and the ticket thread.
The first mention of Vietnam Vets was posted by Trip. Unless I missed something or something was deleted. ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #14

No TC you have not missed anything IMHO. I was just pointing you and anyone else interested to the original thread so everyone could make their own assessment on the full story.

This is a very unfortunate issue being worked thru by the group. I know ultimately it's strictly between Trip and Dan at this point but I feel this forum goes a little further than most forums in that the folks that post here have more of a family relationship. As with any family there's always going to be strife but in the end I hope the principals can work it out and the rest of us just keep doing what we always do....ride and help each other out each the best way we can!

VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Dan:
I understand what you are saying, but it's not so simple. Not from either point of view. That being said, I think you could have edited your thoughts, delivered the same message and not offended anyone. At the very least apologize for the misunderstanding. I am hoping you didn't mean to come across as strong as some inferred, and if so, just say your sorry and lets move on. I think you have your points, but it came out worded incorrectly. I think you have a lot to offer your fellow Nomad owners and we like to have you around. This really isn't that important of an issue to make it insurmountable in terms of patching things up. Please reconsider.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Closed Thread