Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-05-2010, 02:51 AM   #31

The new nomads

I love the look of the new voyager. I think it's a great value over the competition. However, as much as I love my 05 nomad, I wouldn't buy another just for the fact of pricing. The voyager has alot more to offer and isn't that much more than the Nomad. If I trade I'd trade up. Never had belt but wouldn't mind it. Taillight on the new models is very nice looking IMO.

vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #32
VBA Founder

The new nomads

I'm going to jump out on a limb and give my opinion, even though I've been crucified for doing so in the past. There's just something about the leader of the pack giving his opinion on an issue that doesn't set well with some ...

For what I use my Nomad for (traveling the US), I prefer a shaft drive over a belt. With a shaft, all you do is change out the rear gear oil every 15,000 miles or so and it only takes me about 10 minutes to do so. Other than that, I don't have to constantly check my belt or worry about rocks or debris getting in the track. I also don't have to put up with a whine like many of the newer Nomad owners are experiencing. I realize that most , if not all of the manufacturers are going to belts, but I think it's the manufacturers way of putting more responsibility on the owner for less manufacturing cost. And, I don't have to spend the money replacing the belt at 50,000 miles.

True, I put up with a little less horsepower to the back wheel and I don't have the option of replacing my pulley's (more money?) for more power and speed. But, when I'm on a 3,800 mile trip, the last thing I want to worry about is getting a rock in my belt or putting up with a whining noise from my drive train.

Now, having all that said, I will say that I like the styling of the new Nomad and Voyager. I like the rear light and I like the fact that Kawa has gone to a 1700 engine. I'm of the opinion that they need to eventually go to an 1800 with a 6-speed tranny and a shaft drive. ;)

I'm not a lover of the new hard bags. I would rather have the clam-shell style like what's on my 2005, but, I could adapt and probably learn to like them. To save money, Kawa has gone to a black ABS cover on some items (brake master cylinder covers, etc) which is "chromed" ABS on earlier models.

If I were to buy another bike right now (don't worry, I'll be keeping my 2005 Nomad till I die) and add to the stable, I would probably get a Honda Valk or another Nomad.

So, in conclusion, it doesn't matter what year of Nomad you own, just remember, it's a good one...get out and ride it. Oh, and tombstone, I like the trunk you have on your new Nomad. Gives the bike a "cool" look, in my opinion.

Just my 2 centavos worth.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #33

The new nomads

I agree with Trip on everything except what I would buy if I was getting rid of my Nomad.
I would look for a very low mileage 1600 Nomad. Preferably a 2007 like i have now and switch all my acc. over to it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #34
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
The new nomads

I like the voyager looks except I didn't like the bags.

Old 07-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #35
Sr. Contributor

The new nomads

I've only sat on a Voyager and it seems a little more cramped than my Nomad. What concerned me the most was the space behind me. It seemed cramped and the tour pak isn't adjustable at all, so you are stuck with the passenger ergos. My wife isn't small, so it's important. It seems to me they went a long way to make this bike like a HD, but without the ability to change what needs to be changed. For a couple grand more I can get the HD.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-08-2010, 02:08 AM   #36

The new nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Oh, and tombstone, I like the trunk you have on your new Nomad. Gives the bike a "cool" look, in my opinion.
Just my 2 centavos worth.
Thanks! :)

Old 07-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #37
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
The new nomads

Well I have owned two belt and two shaft. I like belt the best, though, on my new Connie with the Tetralever Shaft, that is the best. There is no lash, which I didn't think the Nomad had, until I rode the Connie. That feels just like belt/chain drive. I couldn't believe the difference. I am glad it is shaft rather then chain as the annoyance of chain lubing would get to me after a while. I know I lose a bunch of power to the rear wheel, but at 134 hp at the wheel, I think I have plenty to spare. I have just over 1k miles on the new Connie and I love the bike. I used to think the Nomad was powerful, that is until I dropped 200lbs and doubled the HP.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #38
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
The new nomads

Oh and while at the dealer I looked at the new Nomad, I can't stand the new bags. From the front they look a little off today. Yeah you may be able to check tire pressure easier, but I use and look at the bags daily, I only messed with the pressure of the shocks twice in two years. You do the math.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #39

The new nomads

I found the trick to fixing the whining noise from the rear of the bike was to get rid of the old girlfriend. I suspect she had her baffles removed...

Old 07-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #40

The new nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz
I found the trick to fixing the whining noise from the rear of the bike was to get rid of the old girlfriend. I suspect she had her baffles removed...
LOL

Old 03-07-2011, 03:11 AM   #41

The new nomads

My 2006 Black Nomad is absolutely the best bike I have ever owned. Runs like a swiss watch (after spending a couple thousand $$$ with Guy Mobbley at Sherm's Cycles in Reedsport, Oregon. ). I am near 71 now....so my '06 will be my last ride....sad to say. Sure do love her tho!

Slots
2006 Black Nomad
VBA #342
VROC #5921

"The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." -- William Blake

Old 03-07-2011, 07:55 AM   #42
Sr. Contributor

The new nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slots
My 2006 Black Nomad is absolutely the best bike I have ever owned. Runs like a swiss watch (after spending a couple thousand $$$ with Guy Mobbley at Sherm's Cycles in Reedsport, Oregon. ). I am near 71 now....so my '06 will be my last ride....sad to say. Sure do love her tho!

Slots
You should try the new Vaquero, my dad said something new can take years off the old chasis. ;)
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #43

The new nomads

I liked almost everything about the 2009 Nomad except the bags (for all the faults previously mentioned) and it felt cramped.
My wish list:
I think they should have kept the old frame maybe even add an inch or two for leg room, kept the old bags, increase the engine to a 2000cc with a taller cam and better air flow,kept the new belt, tail light, cruise control and the 6 speed from the 2009.
I like comfort above all else so I chose the 2008 over the 2009.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #44

The new nomads

The Mustang seat fixed the cramped seating problem for me.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #45
Sr. Contributor

The new nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO
The Mustang seat fixed the cramped seating problem for me.
The problem I have had with the different manufacturers is, if you are going to make it, make it right. If you are not going to have lots of accessories to choose from, don't make it smaller and cheaper. Forcing potential buyers to look else where for their purchases, or to be Macgyver's to make that thing right.
When I bought my '01, I was thrilled that I didn't have to make any changes to suit me. 10 years later I still haven't made any changes. I've tried the 1600 and 1700's also the 2000. I'm still stuck on my 1500. I've sat on the Vaquero, I like it. But I haven't ridden one yet. I do like the looks of it compared to the Nomad and Voyager. JMO
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]