Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #31
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

It sounds like you have the right attitude, and you will have a great day with them.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #32

Bashing Harley's

The AMF era really did some permanent “image-damage” to Harley -- something even they believe they'll never entirely shed. Some of what occurred in the manufacturing of the bikes then caused major problems that many talk about and think still exists.

Comments on the shifter location were the same for me when I first got my Ultra. I was so used to the Nomad’s location and clearance that I considered having the shifter moved. I even spoke to BD about how to adjust it. But, after many more miles it isn’t a problem anymore… I simply got used to it and currently find that I now like its location better.

With any vehicle you ride or drive regularly, you get used to "its" particular feel and setup -- and any change from that "feeling" feels strange, different, and sometimes just plain-wrong. So, I suggest it is difficult to tell if you would end-up liking a new bike or not. I am confident that at first you are going to find it feels "different".

Regarding the "tighter" rider-space on an Ultra and the Voyager... I have noticed that all metric-cruisers/tourers I have been on seem to "splay" your body out over top of the bike. Your arms are typically reaching forward, the bars are wider from grip-to-grip, and you are leaning "over" the bike.

When you sit on a Voyager, or an Ultra, you find it doesn't "splay" you out (as you are familiar with). The bars come back a bit further, the grips are closer together, and you are seated-back a bit more. This will immediately give you the feeling that you are cramped. However; as this thread's OP stated; many go through a lot of money and effort to help remove the splayedd" feeling with different seats, bars, and risers.

I would have owned a Voyager now if it weren't too tall for me. I think the bike provides a lot of features as stock that many are having to add-on to their current bikes.

As far as styling-changes... it seems everyone complains that HD doesn't change their styling enough. HOWEVER... when Kawasaki makes a change, many are not happy. Very interesting observation to me...

I will agree, I like the look of the old bags. They were the best-looking out there. I also believe the change in the look of the bags were the biggest mistake Kaw made and is one reason sales on the Voyager are muted. They simply didn't realize how many bought the Nomad based on the look of the bags alone.

I would bet if Kaw would have used the Nomad saddlebags on the Voyager, they would have sold more by now.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

Or even modified the bags to be a bit wider. I emailed Kawasaki before the voyager was know and asked them to build this:

He fabbed the bags and trunk himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
The AMF era really did some permanent “image-damage” to Harley -- something even they believe they'll never entirely shed. Some of what occurred in the manufacturing of the bikes then caused major problems that many talk about and think still exists.

Comments on the shifter location were the same for me when I first got my Ultra. I was so used to the Nomad’s location and clearance that I considered having the shifter moved. I even spoke to BD about how to adjust it. But, after many more miles it isn’t a problem anymore… I simply got used to it and currently find that I now like its location better.

With any vehicle you ride or drive regularly, you get used to "its" particular feel and setup -- and any change from that "feeling" feels strange, different, and sometimes just plain-wrong. So, I suggest it is difficult to tell if you would end-up liking a new bike or not. I am confident that at first you are going to find it feels "different".

Regarding the "tighter" rider-space on an Ultra and the Voyager... I have noticed that all metric-cruisers/tourers I have been on seem to "splay" your body out over top of the bike. Your arms are typically reaching forward, the bars are wider from grip-to-grip, and you are leaning "over" the bike.

When you sit on a Voyager, or an Ultra, you find it doesn't "splay" you out (as you are familiar with). The bars come back a bit further, the grips are closer together, and you are seated-back a bit more. This will immediately give you the feeling that you are cramped. However; as this thread's OP stated; many go through a lot of money and effort to help remove the splayedd" feeling with different seats, bars, and risers.

I would have owned a Voyager now if it weren't too tall for me. I think the bike provides a lot of features as stock that many are having to add-on to their current bikes.

As far as styling-changes... it seems everyone complains that HD doesn't change their styling enough. HOWEVER... when Kawasaki makes a change, many are not happy. Very interesting observation to me...

I will agree, I like the look of the old bags. They were the best-looking out there. I also believe the change in the look of the bags were the biggest mistake Kaw made and is one reason sales on the Voyager are muted. They simply didn't realize how many bought the Nomad based on the look of the bags alone.

I would bet if Kaw would have used the Nomad saddlebags on the Voyager, they would have sold more by now.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #34

Bashing Harley's

Are you saying these are not Kaw bags? ...that he made these himself?

Aw... skip that... I see where he widened the bags. Good idea.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 AM   #35
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

Go here: http://www.rolfshemsida.se/
Her fabbed it himself. I think if kawasaki made this bike for the voyager, it was have sold like hotcakes. In usual order, Kawasaki ignored their customers. I wasn't the only one that sent them the link to his bike. I even talked with a moto journalist who thought this was the bees knees. Go figure. Kawasaki thought they knew better.

Quote:
Are you saying these are not Kaw bags? ...that he made these himself?

Aw... skip that... I see where he widened the bags. Good idea.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #36

Bashing Harley's

I remember seeing that now.

The site now shows the lowers he designed and made for the bike. Looks good.

It must be great to have the skill, knowledge, time, and tools to do some of what this guy does.

I would assume Kaw might have some sort of problem with using someone else's design.... who knows. It could also be that Kaw just simply didn't want to have a bike looking like any other bike...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

I thought the 1999-2008 Nomad was more original. The newer one is more like HD in some ways. I don't know. They could have taken some of the ideas, like larger versions of the original bags. The fairing and lowers not so much. The voyager trunk is sort of HD like, but doesn't seem to be as big. One more thing as Steve likes to say... I think Kawasaki should have increased the gas tank capacity to 6 gallons. Or how about make the low speed handling about the same as an HD? That's one area I would think would be ok. It's interesting how we or I second guess them, but I guess in the end it's whether they sell all the bikes in their respective year. While it's normal to see leftover jap bikes, not so much with HD, although this recession has shown there are some, but normally no.

Quote:
I remember seeing that now.

The site now shows the lowers he designed and made for the bike. Looks good.

It must be great to have the skill, knowledge, time, and tools to do some of what this guy does.

I would assume Kaw might have some sort of problem with using someone else's design.... who knows. It could also be that Kaw just simply didn't want to have a bike looking like any other bike...
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

[quote author=ponch board=general thread=19854 post=298962 time=1284821427]Go here: http://www.rolfshemsida.se/
Her fabbed it himself. I think if kawasaki made this bike for the voyager, it was have sold like hotcakes. In usual order, Kawasaki ignored their customers. I wasn't the only one that sent them the link to his bike. I even talked with a moto journalist who thought this was the bees knees. Go figure. Kawasaki thought they knew better. [quote]

That thing is big enough to be the family truckster. :)

Old 09-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #39
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

Those bags are awesome. I would love a set of those monsters....Wished I had that talent!

Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #40
Mega-Contributor

Bashing Harley's

I'm sure all of us, perhaps with the exception of Jared, remember the New Coke. What a marketing blunder that was.

Last weekend, I was at a local Kaw dealer and they had a 2010 Nomad on the floor, from the front those bags look hideous! They brought them so far away from the shocks, it looks like they are universal fit aftermarket bags.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who bought a 2009-2010. It is what it is.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

They won't change anything. Probably cost too much in tooling. Who knows. I have to wonder who the f they brought in for focus groups when they designed it? Did they even do that? Or was it designed in a cave and then unveiled to the world? Scott, you are a programmer, no? It's like ignoring the business side requirements when designing software. Getting the right requirements and delivering on them is the only way to satisfy the customer. That's the one thing you can say about HD: They know their market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I'm sure all of us, perhaps with the exception of Jared, remember the New Coke. What a marketing blunder that was.

Last weekend, I was at a local Kaw dealer and they had a 2010 Nomad on the floor, from the front those bags look hideous! They brought them so far away from the shocks, it looks like they are universal fit aftermarket bags.

I mean no disrespect to anyone who bought a 2009-2010. It is what it is.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #42
Advanced Member

Bashing Harley's

Lets not get pulled down to their level or they will beat you with their expertise.
There are plenty of good people to ride with and if you can't find any come ride with me.
Even though I've been called an asshole but I like all kinds of bikes in fact I'm saving for a Connie or zx14 for next year to go with the nomad
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #43
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman
Lets not get pulled down to their level or they will beat you with their expertise.
There are plenty of good people to ride with and if you can't find any come ride with me.
Even though I've been called an asshole but I like all kinds of bikes in fact I'm saving for a Connie or zx14 for next year to go with the nomad
I would go with the ZX14 and a tank bag. ;)

Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Bashing Harley's

I'd have to change the ergos of either just to ride it. risers, peg lowering kit and a different seat... Thought about the C14...If I rode only solo, it would be a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman
I would go with the ZX14 and a tank bag. ;)
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT