Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #16

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Frankly, I didn't like it.

Some things are best when not mixed. For instance take orange juice and vodka, why would people mix them instead of enjoying one in the morning and the other one after 5. That I could never understand.

Back to the bike in question, each competent has its own character and visual features suited to the overall design. I really like the VTX line up, the Harley's touring bikes and the bags on Classic Nomads on their own.

Mix and match don't work for me.

E.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

Some things are best when not mixed. For instance take orange juice and vodka, why would people mix them instead of enjoying one in the morning and the other one after 5. That I could never understand.

Back to the bike in question, each competent has its own character and visual features suited to the overall design. I really like the VTX line up, the Harley's touring bikes and the bags on Classic Nomads on their own.

E.
Where is your sense of adventure?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 PM   #18

Nomad/Honda/Harley

DITTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis

E.

Old 12-18-2010, 08:14 PM   #19

Nomad/Honda/Harley

not bad looking but the bags seem a mounted a lil too high for my taste!

Old 12-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Nomad/Honda/Harley

The bags are too high. But you have to like the ostrich seat. Money was spent here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #21

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Any of you notice that, with *very* few exceptions, Honda and many other brand bikes still have a flanged tank? To me that is a definite turn-off! One of the reasons that the FI Classics and Nomads have always been at the forefront of good looks is because the stylists at Kawasaki knew what they were doing and ditched the cheap look of a flanged tank back in 2000. Next time you're around other brands of bikes, take a look at their tanks. Then you thank MawKaw for the beautiful custom looking gas tanks we have on our Nomads and Classics.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas
Any of you notice that, with *very* few exceptions, Honda and many other brand bikes still have a flanged tank? To me that is a definite turn-off! One of the reasons that the FI Classics and Nomads have always been at the forefront of good looks is because the stylists at Kawasaki knew what they were doing and ditched the cheap look of a flanged tank back in 2000. Next time you're around other brands of bikes, take a look at their tanks. Then you thank MawKaw for the beautiful custom looking gas tanks we have on our Nomads and Classics.
Good point.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #23

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Mix and match is good..if it matches with flow. I think he spent a lot of doe on this project and got ripped off as a end result! Just moo. The bags are too high and the seats suck! but to each their own eh...John

Old 12-23-2010, 05:53 PM   #24

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Seems like a lot of work and expense went into it and in the end it is definately a "combo" bike. I think the world's best looking hard bags (Nomads) do not look good on anything else. When the Nomad was laid out on paper they intentionally used the diminishing radii of the front fender, rear fender, side covers and seat in designing a bag that not only is in itself gorgeous but flows with the rest of the bike. This is the same for Harley hard bags. They have those straight angles and slants that just match up with the bike, put them on something else and it doesn't fly. When a designer does it right everything just melds together and combines in one unique silhouette that defines the bike. This is why a fairing or trunk can make or break the flow if not done right. If you don't care how it looks but just how it functions that is what "adventure" bikes are for. But if you ride a cruiser or dresser like a Nomad you probably have an appreciation for design and with the right paint graphics it gets done right most of the time. (some of the fairings and trunks in pics of the member's bikes on the forum are outstanding - you know who you are!)

I never thought I would like hard bags other than Harley hard cases. I admired them for fifty years. One day at a stoplight some time ago a green Nomad pulled up on the right just ahead of me and the lines of the fender, bags and the rest of the bike blew me away. What an absolute perfect form it was, simple, clean and elegant at the same time. Kawasaki had my number! Compare the pics of the bags on the Honda with the side view of 'Jared's' Nomad, both orange bikes, look at the curves on the entire bike, where the sun and light bounces off the high spots and follows the curves of the sheet metal. The Honda came out okay but the Nomad pops! The new Nomad body shares the same careful design silhouette management but some people think the depth of the bags is too great. I think this was a bit of "function" being introduced for touring needs although the bike is still a unified design of beauty.

I owned a '82 Suzuki GSGK with factory bags that were designed with smooth lines but nothing like the Nomads but they were better (I thought) than the Yamaha Venture bags that cut back toward the front at the rear of the case, it just ruined the lines. All through the 70s and 80s there were aftermarket bags that either went with the "Flash Gordon" style or "Art Deco" design themes. I hope the individual that came up with the Nomad design received the recognition he deserves for the results.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #25

Nomad/Honda/Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims
I hope the individual that came up with the Nomad design received the recognition he deserves for the results.
Jim, well said! With your evaluation of the visual design features, I think, you hit the nail on the head.

Elvis