Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Sheep skin ?

After a weekend trip last week to the beach and back on my new mustang seat I need a little extra to help for my rear end. After I ride 100 miles my cheek bones get to hurting I can stop for gas and I am fine when I start to ride and after about 30 miles the pain comes back. I am thinking of getting an Alaska sheep skin pad. Does anyone have one and how good are they any help.

Thanks,

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #2

Sheep skin ?

I have the exact same issue with my stock seat. I tried the sheepskin and it helped but not much. Same with the Airhawk. Both were borrowed so no financial loss.

I think I have 2 options...buy a Day Long Russell or just live with it.

Good luck and please let us know if anything solves the problem.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 04-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #3

Sheep skin ?

If I had it to do again I would of sent my stock seat off to Russel daylong.
I have $635.00 in the mustang and still have a sore butt. The mustang is better than the Corbin I had. I will let you know if I come up with something that helps. I have 4 weeks before I go on a 4 day trip with friends. I wish I was 21 again I could ride on a brick for a seat with no problem.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Sheep skin ?

I have an Alaska Leather sheep skin and I had a Mustang seat on my Nomad. Honestly, it wasn't a night/day difference. If your Mustang seat hurts you after 100 miles, the sheepskin isn't going to stretch that to 200 miles. There is a break-in on Mustang seats, and I think they say around 500 miles. Of course, that will vary from rider to rider. I was good for maybe 50-60 miles on the stock seat, the Mustang allowed me to go 400-500 miles before I was ready to give up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #5

Sheep skin ?

i had a mustang on my shadow - ;loved it
gotone for the nomad, hated it, sold it
(the seating postion was too far forward)
I'm back to stock - i don't mind it, but I have the grasshopper bckrest

I have a sheepskin rug, bought from costco, which I thow over. i don't think it makes that much differnence for comfort, more that it helps with sweat and is nice to change things up

2004 1500fi - Blue and Grey
Ultra Nomad - In progress

CMC#12065 - Edmonton

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #6

Sheep skin ?

Seating comfort has a lot to do seating position--how your are positioned in the seat. The problem with cruisers is that many of them have you sitting leaning slightly back, which places most of the weight directly on the "ischial protuberances." Or, if you will, the butt bones or sit bones. They'll get sore fairly soon, no matter what you sit on, and a sheepskin pad won't help that any. You can experience a difference if you scoot your butt to the rear of the saddle pocket, then lean forward slightly. You'll feel the weight move forward slightly to the tops of the thighs, which equalizes the pressure on your backside. Problem is, you just can't ride like this very long.

The only way to remedy this is to have a truly custom made seat fashioned for you by someone like Russel. They will make the seat do just what you want and need it to do. Believe it or not, you can even get Corbin to custom make a seat for you if you call them and arrange it. Otherwise, when you order a seat from them, they merely pull one off the wall, box it up, and send it to you--a generically made seat with foam formulated for your approximate weight, but it won't be custom for you, either the foam or the seating position.

I realize that a seat like a Russell is expensive, but that's the only way to get a truly custom made seat fashioned just for YOU. You can even ride in to their place in person and do it that way. That way, you know right off that it will fit right and you won't have worry about sending it back in for an adjustment later on.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:58 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Sheep skin ?

I've got the Alaskan sheepskin seat pad and no, it really doesn't make a difference on a long ride. I think stopping and stretching every hour or so is the best relief for the old butt. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Sheep skin ?

Here is another post where some of us don't have an iron butt. I use a skin with an Airhawk.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...=17811&start=0

Old 04-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #9

Sheep skin ?

I have had a daylong seat for 4 years. They are $$$ but I believe it is a must mod for these bikes. You can ride for hours with no discomfort. They are great to work with before, during and after the sale. ( IMO )

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #10

Sheep skin ?

I have the sheep skin, love it and it keeps you warm in the cold and cooler in hot weather! Thats its purpose,not so much a softer seat but somewhat helps there. I have just put on a mustang seat and not sure what it is like yet. The rain is going to have to stop to find out:)

Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #11

Sheep skin ?

I also have mustang seats on my nomad and they are quite comfortable for a few hundred miles. I bought a high quality sheepskin about two years ago and frankly - it is not worth all the hype. It is collecting dust somewhere in my garage.
KawaNOW #00755

Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #12

Sheep skin ?

I use a lamb skin, Lamb is in my freezer, skin is on my bike. Add's a bit of comfort, helps on a cool and a warm day a bit. Not a game changer, but helps a bit here and there.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #13

Sheep skin ?

I have the Alaskan sheep skin. I think it's a good product but it doesn't make a bit of difference in the stock seats cushion-y-ness?.
It does keep the seat from getting hot in the sun, and wards off "monkey butt".

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Sheep skin ?

Rick, do a google search for, "WalMart Relaxation Seat Cushion". When I came off my plush "03 Nomad seat & went to the wing I had a terriable time getting comfortable. I had the same problem you're having with your seat. The WalMart cushion in addition to the IKEA sheep skin, ($24) solved everything seat wise for me. In fact I wore the first cushion cover out & will be on my second by this summer....-Rich

Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 PM   #15

Sheep skin ?

Best mod I ever did for the bike was my Russell Day Long. It's nice and wide it's like sitting on a park bench. No more issues of sore butt cheeks and having to bail off the bike to get a break. Expensive, yes, but most soon realize the necessity of being comfortable over the long haul. P.S. I have a Mustang set with back rest for sale.

My Russell Day Long