Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #46

Update - - My Next Mod - An I Pad - - No!

I went to a conference in Florida back in February and also won an Ipad 1. I already had a nice company purchased Dell Laptop. And while having the free Ipad is a nice thing I would never have shelled out the money they wanted for them as I could do so much more with the laptop. My impression was if you just want to just do email, internet, maps (similar to gps) and have access to Wifi the cost was too great. After having it a while I am finding more and more apps (many free) that are available for them too. I recently purchased one of the droid phones and I can't find anything that I can't do with the phone that I can with the Ipad. The Ipad does have a bigger screen than the phone. I use the hotspot feature on the phone and access the internet with the Ipad. So after having it a while I could easily get by on a road trip with the phone and the Ipad and easier to pack than the laptop. And if you had the Ipad2 it has the aircard and you would not need the smart phone. For my daily home or work use I would still want a desktop or laptop.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #47

I received an email this morning from Apple stating that the ipad 2 16gb that I won shipped today and will arrive on the 7th. I am looking for a case for it this morning. Zagg makes a very nice alluminum case with the built in Bluetooth keyboard for $100 with free shipping. Don't know if the case would come in before leaving for the National next Sunday. I'll just pick up a cheap protective case at Bestbuy so I can bring it with me to MV.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
I received an email this morning from Apple stating that the ipad 2 16gb that I won shipped today and will arrive on the 7th. I am looking for a case for it this morning. Zagg makes a very nice alluminum case with the built in Bluetooth keyboard for $100 with free shipping. Don't know if the case would come in before leaving for the National next Sunday. I'll just pick up a cheap protective case at Bestbuy so I can bring it with me to MV.
Mitch, I bought the magnetic screen cover for mine. I really like it because it protects the screen and also folds to create an angled support for desktop use. Most full cases will cover the camera lens, so that can be problematic (if you use the camera). I definitely wouldn't spend too much on a case until after you've had it a week or two and see how you actually use it. I really like how thin the iPad 2 is, and it sort of defeats that feature when people put in a thick case. But it really does depend on the environment it will be used and transported in.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 06-04-2011, 08:39 PM   #49

I purchased a neoprene padded sleeve for it. This will be fine to make the trip. I saw many folding leather cases that can angle the ipad like you mentioned Daryl. I'm not going to invest in anything fancy until I see how much I'll use it. Thanks.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 06-20-2011, 12:02 AM   #50
Top Contributor

Okay...I finally broke down and bought myself a little Fathers Day gift. Ran over to Best Buy with my son (23 yrs old....way more tech savvy than me) and bought a small HP Netbook for traveling. Most hotels have free Wi-Fi, so it should work great for checking my email, weather, the forum here...stuff like that. It is not the greatest thing out there, but a modest middle of the road unit that should serve my purposes well enough and I couldn't argue the price. If it lasts for a couple years it becomes almost disposable at that point.

Even in the case it is pretty compact, but I'll need to get more creative for the power cord and mouse. I need the mouse as I hate doing that finger thing on laptops. Should be a nice little tool. I'll get to use it here in a couple short weeks as I'll be off on a 2500 miler July 1st!

I know this is not earth shattering stuff to most of you, but for me, a guy who still uses a plain cell phone....this is a big accomplishment... ;) .

HP Mini Model: 110-3131dx
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 AM   #51

My plain cell phone is a 3 year old Casio Exilim. My 1st & only computer is a black 4 year old MacBook. Both bought before the $$$ started to get tight. At the time 240 gb was a big deal, now, not so much. Patricia got her HP for a $25.00 raffle drawing. Thats about 1/100th of the MacBook at the time. It works just as good. Both of them are going to have to be good enough until we close on the house in Lynnwood. I'm not even up on what this box can do. Find myself wishing I had the $$$ back that I dumped into it.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 06-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #52
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57
My plain cell phone is a 3 year old Casio Exilim. My 1st & only computer is a black 4 year old MacBook. Both bought before the $$$ started to get tight. At the time 240 gb was a big deal, now, not so much. Patricia got her HP for a $25.00 raffle drawing. Thats about 1/100th of the MacBook at the time. It works just as good. Both of them are going to have to be good enough until we close on the house in Lynnwood. I'm not even up on what this box can do. Find myself wishing I had the $$$ back that I dumped into it.
The real difference is the operating system, although Apple integrates their hardware and software better as they control both. I have a Casio G'zone Brigade. I used to have a Boulder.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to ken

I think you went in the right direction with the netbook/notebook. I've had mine for a couple of years and it goes with me when I travel - business or vacations. Right now on vacation and using it. My problem is like Netnorske, I hate the built in mouse so I have a small USB mini mouse along and disable the mouse pad. Other problem is a I find the keyboard too small for comfortable typing so I drag a full sized keyboard along as well, at least when traveling with the car (gotta buy one of those flexible keyboards for travel). I also at times carry an external hard drive an/or a thumb drive. Might be too much junk for a road trip but the netbook/notebook provides the flexibility that I like, although in fairness I know nothing about iPads or other such items....just not interested now that I am 100% retired.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #54

My HP Netbook worked great on my way to and from MV.

Using free Wi-Fi (most of the time a McDs) I was able to dodge some very nasty thunderstorm cells and/or cool my jets while the cell passed.

Lot's for fee Wi-Fi in the east and south, but going west on rule roads not so sure.