Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #1

I'm cheap...

and don't have a service manual. I was wondering if anyone has a service manual for a 2004 Nomad and can tell me how to remove the pinion gear in the final drive? Looks like I might have to screw some bolts in and use the slide hammer to get the retainer out.?.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #2
Advanced Member

I'm cheap...

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=15841

Here a link to a manual

Old 07-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #3

I'm cheap...

Thanks! I didn't think the final drive would be the same for my 1500 and the 1600.
So, based on what I see now does any one have a creative way to remove the bearing seal off of the pinion gear without taking the preload off of the bearing?
Sorry, this should probably be moved to the garage now.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #4

I'm cheap...

If you remove the part and have to reset the preload, you may need to buy some new shims or crush washers depending on the method othey used. Ive never worked on the type you have, and am unfamiliar with it. Why do you have to take it apart? A leak I imagine.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

I'm cheap...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
If you remove the part and have to reset the preload, you may need to buy some new shims or crush washers depending on the method othey used. Ive never worked on the type you have, and am unfamiliar with it. Why do you have to take it apart? A leak I imagine.
Yeah a leak...
I have gear oil all over the rear tire on the right side only. Also when I remove the final drive from the drive shaft it is filled with gear oil... the cavity where the pinion gear installs into. So, I'm thinking that I need to replace all of the seals at this point. I already replaced the large seal on the inner gear assembly and all the bearings in the final drive look good and feel good so...
If I do have to take the pinion gear apart I will need to purchase the pinion gear holding tool. Anyone know where to get one or know how to put 94ftlb of torque on it and hold it without damaging the pinion assembly?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

I'm cheap...

Well you can order the tool (pinion gear holder) from the dealer for $107 and if you have the pinion gear out they will replace the seal for about $30 + parts. Figure I won't be able to use the tool enough on my bike alone to make it worth while. Maybe we should pool some Kawanow cash to get all the specialty tools we need for our bikes and start a loaner program
Try shipping OEM parts overnight... good luck. Maybe if you live in Japan :) It also costs around $80 to overnight some seals that won't get to you for a week or so.?.
I'm gonna have them do that seal and I will replace the rest.
Thanks for the help!!