Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #16
Advanced Member

Air Dam

Wow we discovered years ago that filling the space between the fender and headlight bucket stopped about 50% of the buffeting experienced on a Nomad. I have posted that a fork bag works a number of times.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #17

Air Dam

Yes that would definately work and have a second use too. I found less buffeting too.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #18
Advanced Member

Air Dam

Fork bag, larger lowers, and engine guard covers is the combination to stop all of the buffetting.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #19
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Air Dam

CC ...nice to see you hang'in around. Have you sold those two beauties yet? Or perhaps you changed your mind.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 07-14-2011, 05:40 AM   #20

Air Dam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Fork bag, larger lowers, and engine guard covers is the combination to stop all of the buffetting.
Or drive a car or truck.... :)
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Air Dam

Both Nomads are gone-Brian's sold first, a week after putting it on Kijiji, and mine went 3 weeks later. We got a really good price for both, despite the higher mileage, and both went far enough away that we probably won't have to see them being ridden by someone else.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:36 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Air Dam

recumbentbob - good for you if you like buffeting- personally I didn't like the feeling that my head was going to be ripped off.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Air Dam

Any plans for another bike CC? I don't recall why you sold them.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #24
Advanced Member

Air Dam

We always knew that having 2 cruisers was an expensive hobby but until we got the quads we never realized how expensive. A typical weekend of gas for the Nomads was costing us $150 whereas we can run for a month on the quads for that. We are enjoying the quads, not quite the same thing, but close enough and sometimes better.

As an example, we just spent 5 days in Kalispell, our favorite holiday spot, and we rode the quads everywhere. They are street legal and since they are Kawasaki 650 v-twins, they will go highway speed, so getting anywhere is easy. In fact easier than the Nomads - no more weight to hold up when stopped, no more careful maneuvering in parking lots, no more shifting, no more leather to clean, and best of all, they have reverse. We can explore more of the countryside on the quads since we can now go down the gravel roads instead of turning around when the pavement runs out. The downside? Quads are not street legal in Canada. But there are thousands of off-road trails in BC and Alberta that are more fun than highway riding.

The Nomads were also getting old, and like us, were starting to act and show their age. We got more than we thought we could get for Brian's, especially with 110,000 kms, and what I wanted for mine so we made out ok. We parked the Nomads the middle of August last year, and didn't ride them again; it's been almost a year since we rode the last time and even though I miss my Ruby, I don't miss her as much as I thought I would. We didn't see any point to having them sitting in the garage not being ridden when someone else could be riding and enjoy them as much as we did.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #25

Air Dam

Quote:
We always knew that having 2 cruisers was an expensive hobby but until we got the quads we never realized how expensive. A typical weekend of gas for the Nomads was costing us $150 whereas we can run for a month on the quads for that. We are enjoying the quads, not quite the same thing, but close enough and sometimes better.

As an example, we just spent 5 days in Kalispell, our favorite holiday spot, and we rode the quads everywhere. They are street legal and since they are Kawasaki 650 v-twins, they will go highway speed, so getting anywhere is easy. In fact easier than the Nomads - no more weight to hold up when stopped, no more careful maneuvering in parking lots, no more shifting, no more leather to clean, and best of all, they have reverse. We can explore more of the countryside on the quads since we can now go down the gravel roads instead of turning around when the pavement runs out. The downside? Quads are not street legal in Canada. But there are thousands of off-road trails in BC and Alberta that are more fun than highway riding.

The Nomads were also getting old, and like us, were starting to act and show their age. We got more than we thought we could get for Brian's, especially with 110,000 kms, and what I wanted for mine so we made out ok. We parked the Nomads the middle of August last year, and didn't ride them again; it's been almost a year since we rode the last time and even though I miss my Ruby, I don't miss her as much as I thought I would. We didn't see any point to having them sitting in the garage not being ridden when someone else could be riding and enjoy them as much as we did.
Sounds pretty neat. I have never ridden a quad but sure see a lot of them around here.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Air Dam

A quad is definitely a different ride than a Nomad and I am enjoying it.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #27

Air Dam

Quote:
A quad is definitely a different ride than a Nomad and I am enjoying it.
I'd like to see a photo of them................. :)
VBA #01084

"

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to dabull
Air Dam

BDOG...if you are looking for a second opinion I know someone interested (me me me me me :)

I've seen the like on other bikes and have oft thought of trying to fabricate something like you done...but alas, I have no skill....

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #29
Advanced Member

Air Dam

recumbentbob We are headed over the Logan Pass on the week end, for the first time this year since it only opened 2 weeks ago, and will get some pics of the quads in front of the 'big drift' The drift is supposed to be over 30 feet deep and they cut the road right through the middle of it so it should be pretty cool to see this year. The snow pack at the Logan Pass was still at 139% a month ago so there should be lots of snow left at the top of the pass.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #30

Air Dam

Quote:
recumbentbob We are headed over the Logan Pass on the week end, for the first time this year since it only opened 2 weeks ago, and will get some pics of the quads in front of the 'big drift' The drift is supposed to be over 30 feet deep and they cut the road right through the middle of it so it should be pretty cool to see this year. The snow pack at the Logan Pass was still at 139% a month ago so there should be lots of snow left at the top of the pass.
Sounds really neat, I'm looking forward to seeing them........ :)
VBA #01084

"