Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #46
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers View Post
I have one of the first plates Joe made which is a 9" with a car cover and on the other side I mounted a Harley horn cover.
Is there anything behind/in it, or just a empty horn cover?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #47
Top Contributor

cosheese72 and krash --- That's what the dual plate looks like withOUT the dog bowl? That's awesome! Looks like I'll be ordering the dual plate. Since it looks so good without the dog bowl, I can always add the dog bowl if I'm planning a trip in the rain or not. Or...who knows. Now, I'm stoked.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #48
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
cosheese72 and krash --- That's what the dual plate looks like withOUT the dog bowl? That's awesome! Looks like I'll be ordering the dual plate. Since it looks so good without the dog bowl, I can always add the dog bowl if I'm planning a trip in the rain or not. Or...who knows. Now, I'm stoked.
Call and talk to Chuckster. If you notice, mine has a couple of holes where the plate screwed in, and the center screw basically for the dog bowl. Krash's seems to have been ordered without those side holes. Mine was also plain and done that way out of the box, where Krash polished his up allot. Depends on the look you want. I have since sprayed the dog bowl flat black and put it back on.

Rain won't hurt them anyway, they are oiled which will prevent issues.

Side view

Blacked dog bowl

Last edited by cocheese72; 12-23-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #49

Quote:
I still have the original cover Chuckster sent with the dual plate and one he made for me chromed. I found the Vulcan cover at a dealer in a discount bin. it was a special order for a 1500 i think but just happens to be the same size as chucksters plate. Chucksters plate has the hole offset (see prior post) so I had to make a bracket to mount the vucan cover.
Let me know if you want one. I still have one of the vulcan covers and the chrome plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cover.jpg (88.7 KB, 35 views)
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 01-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #50

A couple of Nomad riders on another forum have indicated to me that I would be wasting my money on a Chuckster intake unless I change the pipes as well. As I might have mentioned previously, I am over loud pipes and will be keeping the stock pipes + goats bladder, but am considering an intake change to free up the airflow a bit from the stock setup.

One suggestion I got was: "No need to remove cross section, keep the left side stock change the right side to a 9" k&n air filter kit for a car you throw away the base plate and use the rest." This seems logical as you you get air from the stock air intake plus use an additional K&N round filter on the RHS. The same person also said to leave the air solenoids and run a length of fuel hose from each to the left dog bowl via the crossover tube to eliminate the noise.

I will ask Joe Norris direct for his thoughts on this, but does any one have any thoughts to add??

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #51
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramakill View Post
A couple of Nomad riders on another forum have indicated to me that I would be wasting my money on a Chuckster intake unless I change the pipes as well. As I might have mentioned previously, I am over loud pipes and will be keeping the stock pipes + goats bladder, but am considering an intake change to free up the airflow a bit from the stock setup.

One suggestion I got was: "No need to remove cross section, keep the left side stock change the right side to a 9" k&n air filter kit for a car you throw away the base plate and use the rest." This seems logical as you you get air from the stock air intake plus use an additional K&N round filter on the RHS. The same person also said to leave the air solenoids and run a length of fuel hose from each to the left dog bowl via the crossover tube to eliminate the noise.

I will ask Joe Norris direct for his thoughts on this, but does any one have any thoughts to add??
Most people gut the left side and use the right solely. The left is not going to be adding much to the system if you open up the right. Better to remove the left side along with the tube and get some air flow between the jugs for cooling. Using a DIY filter or Chucks is going to be about the same, so if you think Chucks is a waste, the DIY is also a waste. Opening the intake but still having the constricted exhaust is probably not worth the time, and will leave you eventually doing the pipes and fuel processor, if you want real change.

Old 01-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #52
Top Contributor

Just an fyi, the V&H with the stock baffles is pretty quiet for aftermarket pipes. Not OEM quiet but still not bad. I prefer loud and proud so I'm going with UBs.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-08-2012, 03:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Just an fyi, the V&H with the stock baffles is pretty quiet for aftermarket pipes. Not OEM quiet but still not bad. I prefer loud and proud so I'm going with UBs.
I have heard that, though I did test ride a 'Nad with A/M pipes before I bought mine. Don't exactly know what they were, but they 'droned' a bit much for my ear. I am probably just paranoid after my 900 with Cobra Swepts (they ARE loud!!).

I'll have to check out the V&H "baggers" and maybe reassess my plans. Obviously quality pipes should produce a quality sound. I would assume that because the V&H Baggers are long and of reasonable diameter, should provide space for decent sized baffles.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
Most people gut the left side and use the right solely. The left is not going to be adding much to the system if you open up the right. Better to remove the left side along with the tube and get some air flow between the jugs for cooling. Using a DIY filter or Chucks is going to be about the same, so if you think Chucks is a waste, the DIY is also a waste. Opening the intake but still having the constricted exhaust is probably not worth the time, and will leave you eventually doing the pipes and fuel processor, if you want real change.
cocheese, thanks for you response. I wasn't actually inferring that the Chucks intake was a waste, just repeating what I was told on another forum, that Chucks or any other similar intake won't have much of an effect without new pipes as well. This is what I was asking about as to whether anyone had tried an intake mod, without changing the stock pipes apart from the debaffle. If people thought that bypassing the goat belly would help but still using stock pipes, I might try that too.

I am just nervous about A/M pipes being too loud after my experience with Cobra Swepts on my 900. They are OK for short runs but long distance / overnighters, which is what I bought the 'Nad for, would be a pain if they are too loud.

Cheers, Craig D.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #55
Top Contributor

Ramakill --- You could always just debaffle the stock pipes. Slightly more sound, slightly deeper rumble but not nearly what aftermarket pipes sound like. Could be what you're looking for.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #56

I found the debaffle to be not quite as effective as Id like, the V&H pipes give you quite a few possibilities on how loud you want them tho be. You can even make a quite baffle for them if you someday change your mind.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #57
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramakill View Post
cocheese, thanks for you response. I wasn't actually inferring that the Chucks intake was a waste, just repeating what I was told on another forum, that Chucks or any other similar intake won't have much of an effect without new pipes as well. This is what I was asking about as to whether anyone had tried an intake mod, without changing the stock pipes apart from the debaffle. If people thought that bypassing the goat belly would help but still using stock pipes, I might try that too.

I am just nervous about A/M pipes being too loud after my experience with Cobra Swepts on my 900. They are OK for short runs but long distance / overnighters, which is what I bought the 'Nad for, would be a pain if they are too loud.

Cheers, Craig D.
Ramakill, I have a 900 too, with Cobra's. I have the Nomad with V&H. The 900 is significantly louder and with no adjustability. You can wrap the V&H with material that can quite it. Another suggestion if you do not already do it, is grab some soft foam ear plugs. They are cheap, disposable, and just throw in your pocket. They, more than anything will make all the difference in your comfort, whether you go with pipes or not. Wind noise gets about as loud as pipes on the highway.

Old 01-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #58

Quote:
Ramakill --- You could always just debaffle the stock pipes. Slightly more sound, slightly deeper rumble but not nearly what aftermarket pipes sound like. Could be what you're looking for.
Hi Chris and thanks for your comment.

My 'Nad already had the "bafflectomy" done before I bought it, I cleaned up the end of the pipe by removing the 'lip' left behind and I am quite happy with the sound.

My main reason for the post was for comments from the more experienced 'Nad owners to see if I would get any benefit from changing the tortuous stock intake with something less restrictive along with keeping the stock debaffled pipes.

I have also heard other suggestions re gutting the goat belly, but it seems the general consensus is to leave it as is.

Cheers, Craig D.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #59
Top Contributor

I never gutted my goats belly (went straight from OEM to V&H) so I don't know what effect that would have on sound or performance. Everything I've heard says it doesn't add much noise but doesn't add any power, either. Nothing to lose and everything to gain with an open intake. Think of it this way....you wanna breathe through a 1/2" straw or a 3" hose?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #60

Quote:
I never gutted my goats belly (went straight from OEM to V&H) so I don't know what effect that would have on sound or performance. Everything I've heard says it doesn't add much noise but doesn't add any power, either. Nothing to lose and everything to gain with an open intake. Think of it this way....you wanna breathe through a 1/2" straw or a 3" hose?
Yep I agree, will probably do a 2 step process. Intake first as Chuckster's mods will clean up the whole look of the engine, plus remove all the extraneous hardware associated with the air solenoids. I can really hear them when I ride, sounds like a chaff cutter!!

After that, with the finance minister's approval, can look at the exhaust. V&H definitely the way to go, a lot of options available with baffles - wrapping stock V&H or even adding Hard Kores.

Ride safe!! Ramakill