Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #1

Fuel processor Question

Well I think I'll begin with the fuel--I read a post somewhere that someone said if you change your own oil you can hook this up so I'll thats what I will do first. then later air and exhaust--maybe quite a bit later. Question is would this be the first thing to do ? and if so where would be a good place to get one and do they come with instructions and recommended settings to start with? For some reason i leaning towards the cobra--the one that sets itself automatically sounds great but way too much $$$ Thanks for any help--oh yes I just ordered the cam extenders so I will have them when the time comes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozyer View Post
Well I think I'll begin with the fuel--I read a post somewhere that someone said if you change your own oil you can hook this up so I'll thats what I will do first. then later air and exhaust--maybe quite a bit later. Question is would this be the first thing to do ? and if so where would be a good place to get one and do they come with instructions and recommended settings to start with? For some reason i leaning towards the cobra--the one that sets itself automatically sounds great but way too much $$$ Thanks for any help--oh yes I just ordered the cam extenders so I will have them when the time comes.
They are very easy to install. The best place to buy one is wherever you can find the best deal. The internet is your friend - you can find good deals on there all day long.

Dennis Kirk will beat any advertised price by a buck...!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #3

I have the Cobra and I think I'd get the Tecklusion TFI instead. The Cobra works well but there has been a lot of discussion about the Cobra not working at idle on "some bikes". Mine being one of them, I have to rev up to around 1500 rpm before pot 1 kicks in. Pot 1 is the enriching pot so with the Cobra it does not help my low rpm lean condition. The low rpm lean condition is what causes the bike to die or the rpm's bounce when you drop the throttle real fast at low rpm, Say when you just burp the throttle at a stop sign before taking off. On my bike I keep the idle rpm around 1050 to 1100 to prevent the condition described above. The TFI appears to work at idle also from what other forum members report. Other than that there's not much difference, both work well. You get better throttle response and can run lower grades fuel.

I'd do the mods in this order.

Fuel Processor
Intake
exhaust

The bike will not really wake up until all three are completed.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 07-28-2012, 12:06 AM   #4

dobeck tfi is on the way!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

I have a power commander that came with my bike when I bought it. If I had to buy one I would go with the tfi based on everything I have read on this forum

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Who, you want this dobeck tfi, and it is plug n play only these days. The older solder on's are gone from the market so far as i can tell.

With a 06 all stock this device will still help things. The settings WILL NOT be what the TFI instructions say, BECAUSE they assume you have altered both Intake and Exhaust! So the settings will be modest and the increases in power and fuel milage will be as modest.

The good parts will be seen once you have the settings correct for the way your particular engine breaths. The MPG's may improve a little bit and you may gain some power too, but most of all you will be able to run 97 octane fuel and get the best bang for your buck, with a cooler running engine.

This device should eleiminate PING. PING is caused by a overly lean mix, and eats metal like a wild man with a cold chisel, eatting piston edges, rings, piston tops and cutting valve faces and seats.

There is no engineering reason for a engine with compression of 9:1 TO RUN ANY HIGH TEST WHICH ONLY COSTS MORE AND BURNS SLOWER CREATING LESS POWER IN THE FIRST PLACE! but with the BS that BE, and the way things work with bean counters, the system was made with no way to adjust for a proper fuel mix from the factory and these fatory settings are so lean these engines ping even on hi test fuels.

These engine are so lean they strain to just idle.

So when you have the TFI in your hands let us know on the How TO set it up part.

And Cam Extenders? What is the miles on the engine now? Do not install can extenders untill you need them. If these are installed too early it can cause problems.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadbehappy View Post
I have a power commander that came with my bike when I bought it. If I had to buy one I would go with the tfi based on everything I have read on this forum
I never liked the PC III either, since the nomad has stupid injection, meaning it is not a closed loop, but IS a open loop system...

With no O2 sender (lamda sond) there is no feed back to the ecu. So maps do not always match, no matter what is done since there is no adjustment from anything..... it's like waiting for a door to tell you if it has closed or opened.....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Who, you want this dobeck tfi, and it is plug n play only these days. The older solder on's are gone from the market so far as i can tell.

With a 06 all stock this device will still help things. The settings WILL NOT be what the TFI instructions say, BECAUSE they assume you have altered both Intake and Exhaust! So the settings will be modest and the increases in power and fuel milage will be as modest.

The good parts will be seen once you have the settings correct for the way your particular engine breaths. The MPG's may improve a little bit and you may gain some power too, but most of all you will be able to run 97 octane fuel and get the best bang for your buck, with a cooler running engine.

This device should eleiminate PING. PING is caused by a overly lean mix, and eats metal like a wild man with a cold chisel, eatting piston edges, rings, piston tops and cutting valve faces and seats.

There is no engineering reason for a engine with compression of 9:1 TO RUN ANY HIGH TEST WHICH ONLY COSTS MORE AND BURNS SLOWER CREATING LESS POWER IN THE FIRST PLACE! but with the BS that BE, and the way things work with bean counters, the system was made with no way to adjust for a proper fuel mix from the factory and these fatory settings are so lean these engines ping even on hi test fuels.

So when you have the TFI in your hands let us know on the How TO set it up part.

And Cam Extenders? What is the miles on the engine now? Do not install can extenders untill you need them. If these are installed too early it can cause problems.
Did you mean 87?

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 07-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

I ran the Cobra unit for about 2 years, including our 9000 mile trip out west last year. Much improved over stock and in all conditions. Was able to run 87 octane and got between 36 and 44 miles per gallon. One observation was that I had to jack the RPM to between 1500 and 2000 to tune pot 1. However, once done, it cured any hesitation at start up and between shifts. Settings were about 3-/5+/0, but fine tuned based on Mac's procedure. Only other observation was that if the bike got very hot, like when sitting in traffic for an extended period in 100+ degree heat, the idle would sometimes tend to increase. No idea if that had anything to do with the fuel processor. More inclined to think it was related to the ISC's. But overall, I was happy with the Cobra and it did what I wanted it to do.

This past year, I switched from the Cobra to the Dobeck TFI, mainly because I had the bike all apart and was working on it with Mac, who happens to like the Dobeck unit better. He prefers this unit because it works better at idle. He is correct. Pot 1 on the Dobeck unit can be adjusted at normal idle. At the same time, I also added Chuckster's dual plate intake and coasters. Just finished a 2500 mile ride with no issues.

Other than the idle adjustment, everything is about the same, including mileage, between the two units. Bottom line, I could recommend either unit, but would give a slight preference to the Dobeck TFI because it can be more easily tuned for idle.

Mac - That's a great picture in your sig.

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Old 07-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post

Do you need to remove the tank to install? And I assume it's powered by the existing ECU?

Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Do you need to remove the tank to install? And I assume it's powered by the existing ECU?
You have to plug the connectors from the unit into the fuel injectors. If you can do that without removing the tank, then you're okay. I had to remove the tank to do it. It's no big deal, only takes a few minutes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #12

Have a PC lll with 20k miles that has been flawless. Dont know why others have had problems with this unit. Recently my Idle was really rough and fixed that by cleaning the throttle bodies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (97.0 KB, 6 views)

Old 07-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazygene49 View Post
Did you mean 87?
Yes I mean 87, my typo skills are excellent....

Thank you for the correction..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadwest View Post
Have a PC lll with 20k miles that has been flawless. Dont know why others have had problems with this unit. Recently my Idle was really rough and fixed that by cleaning the throttle bodies.
There is nothing wrong with having a PC III, but you do not get the bennies you paid for and the PC III cost more than the TFI.

The PC III requies a lap top too unless you can get a nomad to a desk top. The PC III can loose it's map and again unless you have a lap top on a road trip you are stuck and i saw this happen.

Not stuck like you can't ride but stuck like you don't like the ride.

It also means you are in tune with certain techy data and can preform this on the road.

The TFI is stupid, it has no memeory to forget and no maps to down load. the engine tells you by RPM and tone what it wants and you match it.

Once the settings are correct and I don't mean any number seen on the unit, but when the engine says things are right then the tfi can be plugged up with the rubber cover and forgotten.

The cobra is ok as Tomm says, but to get the indication of what is right you need to turn up the oem black knob like we did on Porshe 914 engine that worked at 2,400 rpm to set up timing and fule ratio.

I am a old school mechanic comfortable with carbs of many kinds and the tfi make the D jetronic system which Nomad have but in Japanese work as if it were SU carbs... Or Holly Carbs.

Pot 4 is a rpm counter and must be turned on.

Pot 1 is next and covered idle and mid range fuel enrichment.

Pot 2 is the accelerator pump, and pot 3 IMO should not be used with out reason*

* the reason is to drown out cackel on the decell mode if it occures.

Tomm yeah I hoped someone would like that shot...photoshop helped! Seems a tad too large though..... if it ends up as a distraction I will remove it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #15

Thanks for all the good info--and mac I have 28000 on my scoot--I just want to have the extenders on hand for when the time comes. I rode a cb 900 custom for 17 yrs. that told me when to adjust cam chain. I'll be listening. However this motor really makes some baffling noises --I am starting to learn about keeping up the rpm's. This here scooter is really at home on the highway. Had ping big time from fuel from dealer once I got 93 octane in it it has stopped pinging completely but I seem to have some funny hesitation between gears --sometime. Anyhow --thanks