Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #1

New Clutches in the Nomad

Ok first...does anyone else feel that the design of the 1500 Nomad is a little insane when it comes to the clutches. I spent all day on Friday taking the beast apart and installing new EBC clutches, Judge's washers and a Mean Streak spring. Most of that time was spent in taking all of the stuff off just to get to the clutch cover. I followed the directions on Gadget's page and it went fairly easy. My original impact wrench didn't have enough guts to get "The Nut" off, so I ended up buying a good one to get the job done. All together it took me around 3 1/2 hours to do the job, not counting trips to town to get the impact tool.

Now, I have had to learn to ride the bike all over again. There is absolutely no slip in the clutch anymore. In fact, If you are going to do the same procedure, I would recommend going ahead and replacing your drive shaft u-joints now. From experience I can tell you that an older set is probably not going to stand up. I missed a down shift and blew mine to hell and gone. So now I have new clutches, a new rear tire (flat spotted the old one), new drive shaft (replaced the whole thing rather than try and fix the old), new rear shocks (why not) and a full tune up.

She rides like a brand new bike if the new bike had a seriously evil disposition.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #2

I replaced my clutch spring a few years ago, it took me less than two hours to do, usually the clutch plates measure up within spec and rarely need replacing.
The Judges washers sure do make the clutch feel a lot better than stock.
I had to replace my U joint as well after a couple seasons, but I used an aftermarket part. I found that it shifted a lot sooner when I was done.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Ring,
The change took me three hours due to some stubborn bolts and the care I used to avoid breaking anything. I expect that I could do the entire job in less than an hour now that I know how everything comes apart and goes back together.

The combination of EBC clutch disks, Judge's washers and the Mean Streak spring make for one heck of a lot of grab in the clutch. There is absolutely no room for error when you ride. I got used to the lenient nature of the old clutch and got bit hard by complacency. I think that I am really going to enjoy the bike now.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #4

I have had two Nomads and both got new Barnett clutch springs at 10,000 miles. Took a while to get use to the new no nonsense clutch action.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #5

Both my 1500a and 1600 Nomad have Barnett springs w Judge's washers before 10,000 miles. The 1500 was slipping but the 1600 was preemptive because I much prefer the stronger more responsive feel
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #6

Yesterday I installed a Barnett MT-25 spring in my 08 1600. Last year I rebuilt the clutch with a gorilla clutch and spacers and a Barnett MT-19 spring. I installed the MT-19 on Sherms advice. They said the MT-19 with the gorilla clutch would be more than I would really need.

The clutch still felt soft, and after a year I decided to install the MT-25. It went smooth and now the clutch is very stiff.

It took an hour to take every thing off. Probably only about 30 minutes to install the new spring, but for some reason I changed around one of the steps in the install and it took me about an hour to figure out the correct way. (Some times your mind will insist on doing some thing different than what it should be, and you are convinced it is correct so keep doing it over and over trying to make it work).

I had ordered Judges washers with the idea of maybe installing them if I needed more strength in the clutch. I did not install them and I doubt I will need them.

The MT-25 moved my clutch lever much closer to the handle bar, before dis engaging. Now when I let the clutch out it starts to engage about 1/4 inch from the handle bar, which is what I was looking for.

When the clutch is pulled in fully there is no drag on the clutch, it is completely dis engaged.

Only draw back is now I need to work the clutch lever several times a day to build more strenght in my left hand.

The MT-25 has made a world of difference in how the bike responds, I feel I have a positive connection now.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
Both my 1500a and 1600 Nomad have Barnett springs w Judge's washers before 10,000 miles. The 1500 was slipping but the 1600 was preemptive because I much prefer the stronger more responsive feel
I have the spring hanging up in my garage waiting for slipping, but have yet to install it. I like the idea of a more responsive clutch, so perhaps I'll make the change preemptively like you have.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Personally I think the stock clutch action is fine. It engages smoothly and doesn't slip. I see no reason to change anything with regards to the action/springs etc. I put the clutch washers in when I did my JOG. Other than that I'll run it till it slips or otherwise malfunctions. Even then, I'll just use the stock pieces/parts.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 11-29-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

My issue with the clutch in my bike was it felt soft from the day I bought it new. In its original state it only engaged the last quarter of an inch when the lever was all the way out. I always had problems finding and maintaining the friction zone.

I would get in the friction zone for a low speed manuever and all at once the bike would lose power to the rear wheel, even if I twisted the throttle and let the clutch out more and the bike would start to drop.

I fried it last October in an enchanced skills riding class. So I upgraded to a gorilla clutch because the friction plates were destroyed.

After I installed it the clutch was better, I used the Barnett MT-19 but the engagement point was still out at the end of the lever. If I pulled it in a quarter of an inch the clutch was completely dis engaged.

I have tried several other bikes of different makes, and the clutch always engaged much closer to the handle bar and gave a much more positive feel.

Now with the MT-25 I have some working room in the friction zone, and I can feel the power there. It starts to engage about 1/4 inch out from the handle bar and has a good feel to it.

I don't know of any other Nomad owners that have had the type of issues as I have, I think it was just a fluke with my bike.

Usually just the clutch disk may wear out over time, but the friction plates are fine.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #10
Advanced Member

In your case I'd have to agree and do something about it as well. I got my 99 Nomad last year with 5,240 miles on it and have had the privelege of putting the next 15,000 on it. The Previous owners didn't have enough miles on it to screw anything up, so it was in good shape when I started riding it.

One thing I did notice when I installed the clutch washers is how badly the clutch spring was wearing at the contact point. It wasn't terrible, but definitely noticeable and at only 20,000 miles. Hopefully the washers will slow down the wear process some.

Just noticed you're a neighbor. I'm in Glendale.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 12-02-2012 at 09:21 AM.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #11

Just noticed you're a neighbor. I'm in Glendale.

Cool, We'll have to do a face to face sometime or a ride.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Absolutely

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Old 11-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
One thing I did notice when I installed the clutch washers is how badly the clutch spring was wearing at the contact point. It wasn't terrible, but definitely noticeable and at only 20,000 miles. Hopefully the washers will slow down the wear process some.
Thats were all the springs wear over time, The washers will help a lot, and the spring should last a lot longer than the original setup.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-29-2012, 09:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
I have the spring hanging up in my garage waiting for slipping, but have yet to install it. I like the idea of a more responsive clutch, so perhaps I'll make the change preemptively like you have.
Jared. I highly recommend it. I absolutely prefer the feel of my clutch now w the Barnett spring and Judge washers. My Nomad didn't need it but my 1500a felt so much better that I just went ahead and did the Nomad. I've never been a fan of the squishy clutch. It's now much firmer and more responsive.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 11-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #15

You are not the only one to burn a clutch at a skills class.

The Kawi clutch is not designed for the abuse such a class puts on them.

MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdog View Post
My issue with the clutch in my bike was it felt soft from the day I bought it new. In its original state it only engaged the last quarter of an inch when the lever was all the way out. I always had problems finding and maintaining the friction zone.

I would get in the friction zone for a low speed manuever and all at once the bike would lose power to the rear wheel, even if I twisted the throttle and let the clutch out more and the bike would start to drop.

I fried it last October in an enchanced skills riding class. So I upgraded to a gorilla clutch because the friction plates were destroyed.

After I installed it the clutch was better, I used the Barnett MT-19 but the engagement point was still out at the end of the lever. If I pulled it in a quarter of an inch the clutch was completely dis engaged.

I have tried several other bikes of different makes, and the clutch always engaged much closer to the handle bar and gave a much more positive feel.

Now with the MT-25 I have some working room in the friction zone, and I can feel the power there. It starts to engage about 1/4 inch out from the handle bar and has a good feel to it.

I don't know of any other Nomad owners that have had the type of issues as I have, I think it was just a fluke with my bike.

Usually just the clutch disk may wear out over time, but the friction plates are fine.
VBA 936