Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

Good for you, and it's paid for is it not?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #17

Paid for, heck yes since sept of 2007 no payment book is the coolest thing abou it.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
I never seemed to have a problem. I guess it's a weight to power ratio.

Seriously though, I can't even imagine reaching for a 6th gear on the 1600 Nomad until over 70mph.
You would be right. You don't even think of using it on the voyager until at the very least 70mph. Closer to 80 really. Of course this would be relative to your specific gravity.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600

Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #19

You could add a trunk fairing and lowers and have the same as a voyager with a lot less money. The guys around here can help you through it all no problem. Bunch of good knowledgeable people on here Im just not that mechinicly inclined as some are good luck to you and ride safe.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #20

Whatever year it was that K came out with the 1600 Nomad, '05 maybe. The first time I saw one on the showroom floor I fell for it instantly. I called the wife, and she even came over and we did a test sit. She liked it too, but alas, the timing wasn't right. I knew for me, that was a special bike. Fast forward to September 2012 and we are shopping for a cruiser, something we can both be comfortable on. We stumbled across an '08 Nomad with 791 miles on the clock. We took it out for a test spin, then went back to the dealership and bought it.

I really like the 1700's. I think they are good looking bikes. I don't think Mama K gets the respect she deserves for her cruisers. They are as good as anybody's - and I mean anybody's! But for me, I am glad I managed to get a 1600 with the shaft drive and the side opening bags. I have a feeling we will be together for a long time...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Top Contributor

I suspect you are correct. The 1600 Nomad is a winner for sure. I put 54k on my '08 and loved every mile!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #22

I have been going through the same thought process all year with my 2004 Mean Streak. Absolutely love it, it is paid for, new tires, battery, brakes, big three, leather bags, windshield, mustang seats, etc. and very nice condition at 11k miles. In my mind I think I really want a '12 Voyager (for the furniture [fairing, trunk, hard bags, lowers, running boards, etc.], and with the hopes that I could convince my wife to ride with me on a Voyager). I am also afraid that putting any more money in the Mean Streak is just throwing it down the toilet as far as resale.

However, everything I ride the Mean Streak, I absolutely love it! I just wish it were a little more comfortable and warmer in the cold weather. Also, I don't think my wife will ever ride on it. (She always points to the Gold Wing as a bike she might ride with me.)
I am so torn as to what to do. Luckily, I am near broke as my wife lost her job a few months ago (she made more than me) and we are very paycheck to paycheck since. That helps make the decision for me. I have even begged her to let me sell my truck to pay some bills and add to the bike, but she doesn't think that is a good idea.

I commute to work about 3 miles everyday, and do a weekend ride once in a while. I'll never do overnight camping, etc. unless I can get her to go with me. I like the storage for running to the store and picking up stuff. Adding the leather bags to the Mean Streak has helped me enjoy it a lot, but I kind of wish I had hard bags for security and weatherproofing.

Oh the hell we put ourselves through thinking of what is and what might be...

Old 04-05-2013, 10:45 PM   #23

had a Nomad 1600 that I got used in 2008, low mileage good price, loved it, my first big v-twin cruiser. Been riding for 44 years and usually go with the 4 cylinder sport touring type but then my back starting acting up and I made the switch to Cruisers when I retired from the Military, keeping in mind I wanted to do some long distance touring and couldn't afford a newer model wing.

Traded the Nomad on a new 2010 Voyage with ABS mainly because I had the Nomad all decked out with fairing and Harley top box so figured may as well get it stock.

First thing I noticed was the seat, not too bad, and probably one of the better stock seats I have seen in a while, but no back rest, a much needed item for long distances. So I got the custom world one, big difference. Next was the handlebar position, to much stretch and not enough height, a set of Phat risers solved that problem.

I was impressed with the way it handles despite the weight, but then i was used to the Nomad, which is a pretty heavy bike as well. I find it actually fairly nimble considering, I have the Commander II on front and rear and the bike likes them, as do I.

The things I can find fault with are the gas mileage, I would have liked a little better but with the Hypercharger and 2-1 pro pipe, I get around 37 or mpg (imperial). Not too bad but could be a little better.

6th gear is a nice to have but could have been geared to be better at around 60mph or so, it just lugs the motor on the 2010, I heard it was geared better on the later models.

The KAMS kit was also a big improvement as the heat was another problem, especially at slow speeds and when stopped. With the KAMS now installed, I expect to see a big difference and hopefully it will help.

The radio is nice but the price they want for the XM and CB add ons are ridiculous and should be included in the sticker price. The radio should have also included SD card and possibly USB plug in for IPOD use as well, to charge what they do for those cables you need is highway robbery, especially up here in Canada.

The trunk needs to be a sliding trunk, ala the old Voyager XII, I loved the fact you were able to move it back quite a bit.

That's all I can think of right now, not bad actually for what you get. I will stick with the Kawasaki Vulcan line as I like their style and the price is a heck of a lot less than HD and the other vtwin makers.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
had a Nomad 1600 that I got used in 2008, low mileage good price, loved it, my first big v-twin cruiser. Been riding for 44 years and usually go with the 4 cylinder sport touring type but then my back starting acting up and I made the switch to Cruisers when I retired from the Military, keeping in mind I wanted to do some long distance touring and couldn't afford a newer model wing.

Traded the Nomad on a new 2010 Voyage with ABS mainly because I had the Nomad all decked out with fairing and Harley top box so figured may as well get it stock.

First thing I noticed was the seat, not too bad, and probably one of the better stock seats I have seen in a while, but no back rest, a much needed item for long distances. So I got the custom world one, big difference. Next was the handlebar position, to much stretch and not enough height, a set of Phat risers solved that problem.

I was impressed with the way it handles despite the weight, but then i was used to the iNomad, which is a pretty heavy bike as well. I find it actually fairly nimble considering, I have the Commander II on front and rear and the bike likes them, as do I.

The things I can find fault with are the gas mileage, I would have liked a little better but with the Hypercharger and 2-1 pro pipe, I get around 37 or mpg (imperial). Not too bad but could be a little better.

6th gear is a nice to have but could have been geared to be better at around 60mph or so, it just lugs the motor on the 2010, I heard it was geared better on the later models.

IThe KAMS kit was also a big improvement as the heat was another problem, especially at tslow speeds and when stopped. With the KAMS now installed, I expect to see a big difference and hopefully it will help.

The radio is nice but the price they want for the XM and CB add ons are ridiculous and should be included in the sticker price. The radio should have also included SD card and possibly USB plug in for IPOD use as well, to charge what they do for those cables you need is highway robbery, especially up here in Canada.

The trunk needs to be a sliding trunk, ala the old Voyager XII, I loved the fact you were able to move it back quite a bit.

That's all I can think of right now, not bad actually for what you get. I will stick with the Kawasaki Vulcan line as I like their style and the price is a heck of a lot less than HD and the other vtwin makers.
I love my Vulcan 1500a and my 08 Nomad. When the time comes for a new bike it'll most likely be a Vulcan
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I loved my '08 Nomad, traded it for a 2012 Voyager....and recently traded that for a 2013 Victory XCT. Ultimately....it was comfort for my wife and I that made the Voyager not a good fit for us. The 1700's in general are more confined than your 1600. I like to ride with a drivers backrest and on the Nomad with my Mustang seat, it was no problem for us. On the Voyager with a Corbin seat and backrest, my wife was squished like a pancake back there, and the trunk is not adjustable like it is on an HD. If it were, you could make more room back there.

If you ride solo most of the time, the Voyager is a fine bike with lots of power and a 6th gear that is a dream come true. That said, if you ride solo, a Vaquero might better suit you. The Voyager seat sits higher than the 1600 Nomad, so if you are of the short legged variety like me, you will have a tough time backing up the bike in parking lots and such. It also runs hot and your right leg will get warm, although the KAMS does help a bit.

For us personally...the XCT is everything that the Voyager was not in terms of rider/passenger comfort. We can ride two-up with a drivers backrest and the roominess is similar to our 1600 Nomad. All the other great amenities and performance improvements are just a bonus.....
Thought you said you weren't going to be on the forum much because you wanted to be on the victory sights and explore that community.
Vulcan Bagger #01989
2013 Road Glide Ultra
2013 Softail Deluxe
2011 Voyager 1700 ABS (traded)
2004 Vulcan Classic 1500 (traded)
2009 Vulcan 900 Classic (Gone but not forgotten)
2007 Vulcan Classic 1600