Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #1

Need help with Vaquero taillight disassembly

I am trying to disassemble my taillight so that I can vinyl wrap it to match the rest of my project. I have removed it, that is the easy part... But does anybody know how to remove the red lense from the chrome surround? From the rear it looks like 2 pieces, but I don't want to break it if I do it wrong.

HELP!!! I thank you for any help you can provide.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #2

The chrome surround has a couple screws on the back side, then it takes a bit of pressure to snap it off the assembly. Very doable though. I've seen several painted black, and mine is a hydrographics wrap/paint too.
formerly 2005 Nomad - black/silver

Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Thanks! I had those screws out but it wouldn't come off. I was afraid I was going to break something! As long as you say it will come apart I will get to it when my new vinyl shows up!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #4

At idea how to remove e handles from the saddlebags completely? I would like to wrap them completely, and to do it properly I need to remove them. I have had the cover off of them, but it seemed a little daunting in there.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

I was doing the exact same thing today, got the chrome off the front light back light and removed the crash bars. I removed the cover for the handles and stopped. From what I can tell there is a sort of c clip on one side of a pin. Remove it and slide the pin out maybe? It wasn't so much removing them it was putting them back on that scared me. Fat fingers and small parts are a bad combo.
Good luck

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCaunuck View Post
I was doing the exact same thing today, got the chrome off the front light back light and removed the crash bars. I removed the cover for the handles and stopped. From what I can tell there is a sort of c clip on one side of a pin. Remove it and slide the pin out maybe? It wasn't so much removing them it was putting them back on that scared me. Fat fingers and small parts are a bad combo.
Good luck
I am in the same boat... I am sure I could probably get them out, but back in concerns me. They are basically the last part I have to do! The powdercoat and other vinyl work is already done.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #7

Both of you are ahead of me there. I haven't even tried to remove the bag handles yet.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #8

I took one handle out... wasnt too hard. Just be careful not to drop anything inside the handle area as it falls into the liner of the bag. I now have to take off the entire front of the bag to get it out... not excited about that. However, the handle removal was easier than expected, just take your time. There are small liners inside the spring and the black plastic where the rod goes through... so you need to watch those as well.

Not as hard as you think! I am going to wrap one side up and reassemble later today once I accomplish something useful around here first!!! Almsot riding time here in PA!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZVaquero View Post
I took one handle out... wasnt too hard. Just be careful not to drop anything inside the handle area as it falls into the liner of the bag. I now have to take off the entire front of the bag to get it out... not excited about that. However, the handle removal was easier than expected, just take your time. There are small liners inside the spring and the black plastic where the rod goes through... so you need to watch those as well.

Not as hard as you think! I am going to wrap one side up and reassemble later today once I accomplish something useful around here first!!! Almsot riding time here in PA!
Just wondering exactly how you removed it?

thanks for any info James

Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCaunuck View Post
Just wondering exactly how you removed it?

thanks for any info James
First I removed the black plastic outer with the 5 screws... Then it snaps in there so gently pry it off.

Next I used needle owe players to remove the spring from the top and lower them gently into the hole to release the tension, also with pliers.

Then remove the c-clips from each end of the rod which holds the handle in place. Just inside the c-clips there are small liners which the rod slides through, DO NOT let them fall into the inside of the bag! Use pliers and remove me now. You can then use pliers to slide the bar slowly out one side, also be careful of the liners which are located inside the springs. Next the black center comes out, then continue removing the rod. It gets stiff when all the way to one side, so just use gentle force to get it nearly all the way out. The handle will then come out as one big piece.

My only real advice is to be smart about the small parts and make sure not to drop them inside the liner! Otherwise it is pretty simple! I just removed, wrapped, and reinstalled one bag in about 30 minutes!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

What wrap did you use? Pics and specs Please.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
I used 3M Matte Black. I bought a 5x3 piece to cover all the stuff I did. I am hoping to finish tomorrow and wipe the bike down. I will then post pictures. I just need to finish 3 hinges, and maybe redo one gauge trim.

I am very happy with the wrap, and the overall bike. It was my first time wrapping anything, and it was easier than expected.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZVaquero View Post
I used 3M Matte Black. I bought a 5x3 piece to cover all the stuff I did. I am hoping to finish tomorrow and wipe the bike down. I will then post pictures. I just need to finish 3 hinges, and maybe redo one gauge trim.

I am very happy with the wrap, and the overall bike. It was my first time wrapping anything, and it was easier than expected.
How was difficult was removing the gauge trim? I've been considering having my inner fairing painted next winter (ran out of cash this winter ) - I'm a little disappointed in the bare plastic we were left with on the Black Vaqueros I fear what will happen long-term if I don't get it painted.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestephens View Post
How was difficult was removing the gauge trim? I've been considering having my inner fairing painted next winter (ran out of cash this winter ) - I'm a little disappointed in the bare plastic we were left with on the Black Vaqueros I fear what will happen long-term if I don't get it painted.
Really easy, just be gentle as some of the clips WILL break no matter what.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...279#post501279

Here ya go!