Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #1

Question Question for Clearview Shield owners

I installed a medium Clearview Shield on my Vaquero last night. I am thrilled with the new airflow, at least from this morning's ride. Going to be in the high 80s when I leave work, see what I think about it after an hour in that.

I did notice that the OEM shield is about twice as thick on the bottom mounting area as the shield portion, and even the top part appears a little thicker than the aftermarket shields. I have seen a few comments concerning the thickness of all the aftermarket shields and folks wondering if the extra length of these replacement shields would result in them cracking out without additional support. So to the question: Did you use anything between the washers and screws and the shield? I don't have the pretty, but expensive, metal strip. Even if I did, I would have to have it powder-coated black. I thought about putting the OEM shield behind the Clearview. That would certainly provide a lot of support, but the holes in the Clearview would not line up. Interestingly, I saw that the Clearview behind the OEM shield did line the holes up, so I mounted it that way. It still provides the very thick base of the OEM across the entire width of the Clearview. I haven't decided if I like the look or not. It does provide a great place to string yellow LED lights though! Anyway, just looking for opinions and what others have done.

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

I bought the strip and had it powder coated (cost $10). I went an extra step and bought second gasket as I had squeak that wouldn't go away ( fine now).

I think it looks good but I'll get a pic on here tonight after work so you can see it and decide for yourself.
VBA #2354

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #3

Here's a few...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368664828.472640.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1368664853.717290.jpg
VBA #2354

Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #4

That would look really good on my Black Magic ... but I'm poor (cheap? same diff) so I gotta get a better price than what I've seen so far!

Americas Guardians PS MC
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Would be perfect on black Vaq. I hear you on price - not cheap.... But with 16in windshield I didn't feel I had a choice. Also looked odd without it with a clear shield. I'm starting to powder coat parts so thought the black looked better than the chrome.
VBA #2354

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Another question for you Clearview owners, are they all recurved? I am interested in the M or L and want a dark tint. In some of the pictures on their site it doesn't look like its recurved and in some it looks like it is. Yet I dont see an option to select for recurve.

Old Bear, how tall are you and is the airflow over your helmet?

Thanks guys!
VBA #02389
VROC #24810

Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post
Another question for you Clearview owners, are they all recurved? I am interested in the M or L and want a dark tint. In some of the pictures on their site it doesn't look like its recurved and in some it looks like it is. Yet I dont see an option to select for recurve.

Thanks guys!
Their site didn't list options the way I wanted, I called and asked if I could get such and such, and they said yes

VBA #01898

Old 05-26-2013, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
poor (cheap? same diff)
Sorry but I find this to not be true.
Poor financially means not having the money to buy stuff.
Cheap means having the money but not willing to spend it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Sorry but I find this to not be true.
Poor financially means not having the money to buy stuff.
Cheap means having the money but not willing to spend it.
But the end result is usually the same was my point. In my case, nearly all income goes to paying off debts created by an EX-partner that I was stupid enough to sign on to. So doing without things, or having to take months to scrape enough together for those things, is my punishment for trusting others. I don't know if that makes me poor or cheap, but stupid and sucker fits rather well. But I keep on keeping on!

Americas Guardians PS MC
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero

Old 05-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_law23 View Post

Thanks guys!
I had a Clearview on my 1500... Not all their shields are recurved. Recurve is a option.

Clearview puts out a good shield but their prices are twice as much as Cee Bailey prices, and having had both (I have a Cee Bailey on my Nomad), I've seen no differences in the two to justify the difference in cost. This at least applies to the Nomad. I don't know if it would apply to the Vaquero.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad

Old 05-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWind View Post
I had a Clearview on my 1500... Not all their shields are recurved. Recurve is a option.

Clearview puts out a good shield but their prices are twice as much as Cee Bailey prices, and having had both (I have a Cee Bailey on my Nomad), I've seen no differences in the two to justify the difference in cost. This at least applies to the Nomad. I don't know if it would apply to the Vaquero.
_________
IntheWind
'08 Nomad
The Cee Bailey is $150 before tax & shipping for a Dark 15" shield, looks like clearview is $130 shipped for a 14.75". Maybe pricing has changed? I don't know how it used to be as this is my first bike that has had a shield.
VBA #02389
VROC #24810

Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #12

130 For 16 in. including shipping clear view light tint. Not a true recurve but works well.