Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #1

Turbulence when riding double

Hello from Ohio. I've owned my Vaquero since April but also have a couple of other bikes I enjoy riding so the mileage is still very low but sure to go up once I figure out how to make it comfortable (wind turbulence) when carrying a passenger. I riding by myself like the small stock shield, but the wife and I decided to go for a quick ride a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how my head was getting shoved around by the air from carrying a passenger. I'm close to being 6'2" with a 32" inseam, and wondering if going to a different shield will alleviate the problem, and if so how tall of a shield will I need to go with?

Loving the bike so far. Had some concerns before buying it with what I read about the heat issues but so far have not experienced anything uncomfortable or that would have been a deal breaker. Looking forward to doing a lot of riding hopefully with the wife on back so need to get the turbulent air problem solved. Thanks in advance for any help. Mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum from Arizona. The general rule is the top of the windscreen is level with the bottom of your nose or even with the mouth. With the Vaquero and Voyager that might be around 16" to 18" with your height. This will normally throw the air just above the helmet and help reduce the turbulence. Besides the OEM windscreens there are several different after market windscreens and you might consider them. Cee Baileys and Clearview are some of the more popular ones.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 06-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

I'm 6'4 and the 16". OEM shield works well for me. Wife much shorter and rarely rides but don't think she's getting much buffering either. Her big complaint - and justifiably so - was the 3/4 in of padding they call the passenger seat. Replaced stock seat w Mustang and she's much happier. Good luck getting it set up! They're great bikes!
VBA #2354

Old 06-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #4

Welcome from another buckeye!!! Where abouts you located? I am up along the Lake on the eastern side.

Old 06-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #5

welcome from Wyoming.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2013, 05:10 PM   #6

Clearview makes a shield for the vaquero that has a recurve on the top.
This recurve really works on my 08 Nomad so I think it would for you too.

And air wings should really really help.

http://www.bakerbuilt.com/bbairwings/voy17.html
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikexup View Post
Hello from Ohio. I've owned my Vaquero since April but also have a couple of other bikes I enjoy riding so the mileage is still very low but sure to go up once I figure out how to make it comfortable (wind turbulence) when carrying a passenger. I riding by myself like the small stock shield, but the wife and I decided to go for a quick ride a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't believe how my head was getting shoved around by the air from carrying a passenger. I'm close to being 6'2" with a 32" inseam, and wondering if going to a different shield will alleviate the problem, and if so how tall of a shield will I need to go with?

Loving the bike so far. Had some concerns before buying it with what I read about the heat issues but so far have not experienced anything uncomfortable or that would have been a deal breaker. Looking forward to doing a lot of riding hopefully with the wife on back so need to get the turbulent air problem solved. Thanks in advance for any help. Mike
Shield is fine, you need longer/larger lowers. I made a longer ,wider set the 2nd day I had my bike. Works just fine,and NO BUFFETING !!!!

Old 06-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #8

I'm 6'2" and ended up with the 11" from Cee Baileys. It's perfect for me. Most of the wind is off my face, but enough still crosses the top of my head to keep me cool. Cee Baileys is also one color instead of having the chrome strip.