Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #46

I may be wrong. But the way I understand it is, the computer looks at both the front and back sensors. It takes a sample in a set amount of time and compares both.
Each window in the disk will send a pulse to the computer. It may sample every 100 pulses. I'm sure there is an allowed +5% -5% or something like that or you would get false faults.
If the tires are different sizes but within the range allowed, no issues. If the difference is too large or outside the window, then you will have this issue. A flat tire will set it off according to the manual.

2010 Voyager on the DARKSIDE
2008 Concours
2005 Classic

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHACK666 View Post
I may be wrong. But the way I understand it is, the computer looks at both the front and back sensors. It takes a sample in a set amount of time and compares both.
Each window in the disk will send a pulse to the computer. It may sample every 100 pulses. I'm sure there is an allowed +5% -5% or something like that or you would get false faults.
If the tires are different sizes but within the range allowed, no issues. If the difference is too large or outside the window, then you will have this issue. A flat tire will set it off according to the manual.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking and why I asked what the tire size was that the Harley dealer put on. If this is true then armed with that size compared to what others have put on and had no issues a good idea of the limits could be determined and a value to others on here in the future.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #48

Ok got my bike bac. Told them to put the Harley tire bac on. Even thou the Harley tire is a 18/70/16 , by numbers, when put next to each other, it is cearly very much a larger tire! Don't understand, numbers almost match, but wen sitten next to each other the Harley is much larger. So? Well I will just burn that tire up, and replace it wen worn out!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #49

Sorry I ment 180/70/16

Old 07-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #50

I assume the old tire was an 170/70/16. You can detrmine the hight difference easy enough. 170 is the tread width in mm. 70 is the side wall height in mm but is a pecentage of the tread width, so the side wall height is 70% of 170 or 119 mm. By the same formula a 180/70/16 will have a side wall hight of 126 mm, so the Harley replaced one was taller, but was it too tall to fall within the systems accepted tolerences, and why do some not have an issue with a 180/70/16?
I can only guess that due to Differences in tread style and how round the tire is from tread edge to tread edge may have an effect on the 180 measurement between manufacturers.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #51

Sounds reasonable to me, but!!! Sence I got the bike bac, ABS light comes on like normal at startup, then turns off, but not it doesn't come bac on after a few miles like it was doin? So? What the hec is goin on????

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaderwatiamriden View Post
Sounds reasonable to me, but!!! Sence I got the bike bac, ABS light comes on like normal at startup, then turns off, but not it doesn't come bac on after a few miles like it was doin? So? What the hec is goin on????
You have the Harley installed tire back on now right. Hey I'm just throwing ideas out here, but maybe we are back to something not plugged in or adjusted properly when the Harley guys did it and it was corrected when the Kawa guys reinstalled the tire. Another thought is was the tire balanced by the Harley shop? If not or not done well maybe the continual bounce of the tire affected the sensor?
What ever it was, it sounds like your Ok now.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #53

The abs light on mine goes on at start up and then stays off, I think it will only go back on if it is activated under braking, and being the prudent and careful rider I am, I have never seen it come on.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 07-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
The abs light on mine goes on at start up and then stays off, I think it will only go back on if it is activated under braking, and being the prudent and careful rider I am, I have never seen it come on.
If it's anything like a car system... the ABS light only comes on briefly at start up as an indication that all is well, and will never come on again at any time - except if there's a fault.

I had a previous car (Subaru) that had a solenoid used to jam open, turn the light on... I got quite good at finding the right solenoid & giving it a sharp tap with a screwdriver to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomaderwatiamriden View Post
All as it should be I'd say... You should worry if you see the ABS light lit - not if you don't.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 07-17-2013 at 12:00 AM.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #55

Ok an update, it has worked as it is saposed to, but the dealer said it wouldn't until I swap out that Harley tire! So something they did corrected the problem, either they do not know what they did, or they do know, but do not want me to know, and are just playing dumb!!!