Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
Top Contributor

I surrender to V-twin Lifter Noise

Hey kawgirl....I was out riding this morning and think I figured out the chirping you were talking about.

It's a sound I have always wondered about. When I had my Shadow...when I had drag pipes (straight no baffle) when I went over a bridge with concrete K-rail style sides on it...i heard what sounded like a belt buckle or saddlebag buckle rattling.....I looked and looked trying to figure it out.......I finally chalked it up to the Shadow.

So, got the Nomad....road about a 1000 miles no similar sound. Put the V&H baggers on it and guess what...the same sound!!!

May be just mine and your ears....but I am wondering if it has something to do with the harmonics of the sound bouncing back or something...you know..like your bike sounds different (not as "beefy or low)with you riding it as it does when it goes by on the road...let someone take it out for a spin and see how different it sounds..

Professor Blowndodge probably will know what causes this.

Anybody else experience this or is it just the little man in our heads trying to mess with us???

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #17

I hear nothing....

Old 09-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #18

when i first purchased my 2005 nomad it had a considerable tic noise coming from the engine area. upon installing v/h pipes and getting rid of the goats belly i found that the nad would backfire alot so i marbled the air injection hose and the tic went away. the tic was in fact coming from the air injection solenoids. hope this will be of some help to you

Old 09-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Okay, I give up. The lifter noise is normal. Everyone says it is suppose to be that way and I know they are right but I am still fighting the sound because the last bikes I owned before the Nomad were Gold Wings. Any phycho analyst out there that can make me metally accept this noise?
Resistance was futile, you have been assimilated"

Old 09-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #20
Top Contributor

get used to the lifter noise GUYS, it ain't going away!! mine don't after a 5 mile warm up, or 10 miles or 500 miles, the lifters are loud and part of the Nomad mystique. Love it.

Doc

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Hey kawgirl....I was out riding this morning and think I figured out the chirping you were talking about.

It's a sound I have always wondered about. When I had my Shadow...when I had drag pipes (straight no baffle) when I went over a bridge with concrete K-rail style sides on it...i heard what sounded like a belt buckle or saddlebag buckle rattling.....I looked and looked trying to figure it out.......I finally chalked it up to the Shadow.

So, got the Nomad....road about a 1000 miles no similar sound. Put the V&H baggers on it and guess what...the same sound!!!

May be just mine and your ears....but I am wondering if it has something to do with the harmonics of the sound bouncing back or something...you know..like your bike sounds different (not as "beefy or low)with you riding it as it does when it goes by on the road...let someone take it out for a spin and see how different it sounds..

Professor Blowndodge probably will know what causes this.

Anybody else experience this or is it just the little man in our heads trying to mess with us???

Must be the little men in my head!!!! or my freekin' wrecked hearing!!

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #22

Hey todd my shadow would chirp sometimes too after I put V&H on. I have stock pipes on my nomad and never get a chirp. I bet you're right mith the harmonics at just the right rpm is what does it.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:19 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Quote:

<marquee>did you say little man in our heads or little head on a man???? </marquee>

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #24

<marquee>THAT'S IT!!!! IT SPLINTERED RIGHT OUT MY SIDE! </marquee>

Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
Top Contributor

either way i guess

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
Greensboro, NC

Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #26

Quote:
[quote:lgwom6d0] Before I put the cobra exhaust on, the Nomad was so quite that if there was any wind at all I couldn't hear the bike run, I had to feel the bike to know when to shift gears.
JIM, you may want to look your bike over real good. I think your dealer may have kept the nomad motor and slipped you a Yamaha in line four or something along those lines. It sure don't sound like you are riding on a 1600 V-Twin. ???[/quote:lgwom6d0]

That was normally going down the interstate at 80-85mph....When I was riding in the twisties at 30mph to 45mph I could hear the motor and a low exhaust note.....I just got back from a 2 day 835 mile ride and the only time I noticed the lifter noise was in the morning when the Nomad was first started, but I have the Cobra Exhaust now and I ride merrily down the hwy without a care, unless a deer runs across in front of me ???
VBA #146