Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #16

As to why, to maybe help with the head shake I get every time I start off with the tires I have on now, and the tires I had on before, and yes, I have tightened the steering bearings, even changed them for tapered rollers, nothing helped. Running michelin commander II front and rear.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #17
Mega-Contributor

Then you have another problem. The head shake is not caused by the lack of a steering damper.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Then you have another problem. The head shake is not caused by the lack of a steering damper.
didn't say it was, but I said it may help. I have a feeling it is yet again that the bike doesn't like the tires, but I do, so I am willing to live with it. I will be checking the steering stem later on to see if it has loosened at all. Tires are balanced, wheel bearings are good, alignment is on, rear swingarm is good, nothing is loose or wiggling, so i can only assume tires or steering stem, and as I have new steering bearings in this year, well I guess we will try tightening them a tad more.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #19
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
didn't say it was, but I said it may help. I have a feeling it is yet again that the bike doesn't like the tires, but I do, so I am willing to live with it. I will be checking the steering stem later on to see if it has loosened at all. Tires are balanced, wheel bearings are good, alignment is on, rear swingarm is good, nothing is loose or wiggling, so i can only assume tires or steering stem, and as I have new steering bearings in this year, well I guess we will try tightening them a tad more.
All I meant was you are addressing the symptom, not the problem. If these bikes needed a steering damper, Kaw would sell one or it would come with it. Take another look at those steering bearings, I'll bet they are a little loose.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Having had "the tank slapper" I've wondered it a stabilizer would have helped me. I looked a long time ago but never found one for the 06' Nomad.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #21

Quote:
All I meant was you are addressing the symptom, not the problem. If these bikes needed a steering damper, Kaw would sell one or it would come with it. Take another look at those steering bearings, I'll bet they are a little loose.
Understood, and that is the first thing I am going to check when my hands won't freeze to the tools, I have a feeling they may have settled a little since they were installed.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #22

..NOT BEING A STEERING STABILITY EXPERT...

It has -seemed- to me, to be affected by the type, and wear level, of the tires I am running...

I WAS running Metzler ME 880's, Those are the best tires I have found at reduceing "steering-snatch", and front "wobble" ....but they began selling those tire's imported from Brazil..(orig were from Europe)... and the Brazilian -rears- are terrible quality ! (5-6k miles and massive tread separation occures..see my photo album)

So I went to a "Harley Type" Dunlop, on the rear of my 02 Nomad...while continueing to run the Metzler on the front, because I'v had no problem with the -front- Metzler's

HOWEVER..NOW..I have encontered some moderate front End Wobble, while riding at 35-45 mph..on "un-even pavement", and only using the throttle hand, on the handle grip ! ...I think it's possible that its the Dunlop..on the rear causing it... !! ??

(I had Dunlops on the bike when I bought it @9500 miles, and it -wore me out- fighting the "steering snatch" on uneven spots in the pavement

Old 11-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Just a point of note: All touring bikes have a tendency to oscillate when decelerating. The degree to which they do is not constant between even makes of the same model. I know of Harley deckers that do it to some degree and Kawi's and Yamaha's also! My Nomad with the fairing and trunk will if I don't stay totally on top of the steering head bearings / swingarm, etc! It is always there - even if just slightly but it is there! It is to what degree it exhibits is the problem. I am sure there are people out there who have never felt the twitch and others pick it up right away! A steering damper I believe ( IMHO) would probably be just enough stiction to stop the head from starting to want to wobble. I know when mine is starting to loosen off (any or the maintenance items not perfect) if I take my hands off the bars and decal ( I am not stating to do this, but only for figuring out what and why) and it starts the slow beginnings of the wobble - all I need to do is put on finger back on the handle bar grip and it will stop. So, if steering head bearings are on the loose side - this means it takes the length of half the bar width of leverage to stop the start of a wobble - so a small damper near the head would do the same thing - thus stopping the start of the wobble from the bearings being from at max spec torque to just min torque spec.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #24

no problems on decel, just accel, my guess the load is off the front more which would amplify steering stem not tight enough as it would take the weight off more, whereas decel would transfer more weight and downward pressure to the steering and basically "load" the bearings more.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
I WAS running Metzler ME 880's, Those are the best tires I have found at reduceing "steering-snatch", and front "wobble" ....but they began selling those tire's imported from Brazil..(orig were from Europe)... and the Brazilian -rears- are terrible quality ! (5-6k miles and massive tread separation occures..see my photo album)
Wow that's some UGLY. Are those green popsicle sticks jammed under the flaps?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Nasty lookin tire! I am runnin a Metzler right now - it was free. I was running the E3's but the rear started to howl about half way thru it's life. May try another one or maybe go to the Darkside. I will keep an Eagle eye on the Metzler!! I stopped using them after I had 2 seperate on my Venture's. Nothing as bad as yours!

Old 11-22-2013, 01:27 AM   #27

HEY..Those are "Strike Anywhere" Wooden Matches...I'd NEVER Carry those worthless strikum on the box matches ! ..these are good for camping..tooth pic's, lighting my Double Corona Montecristo's.and harpooning them so I can smoke um down to Clem Kadiddlehopper length,..and a couple match-tricks, to entertain the girls !

Old 11-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
Mega-Contributor

Jeez, Clem Kadiddlehopper? There's a reference I haven't heard in a looong time.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #29

Received reply from Lehman. They do not offer a steering damper for 1600 Nomads.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 11-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #30
Advanced Member

I know the 900 is very close and on their Storm 900 Kawi trike they show it. If you got to "trikezone.com" then to Lehman 900 Storm and there it is. Another picture on another site I was sure there was one, butI could be wrong. I wonder if they would sell the 900 one and if it could be plopped on the 1600?