Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #1

Head Cam Plug Oil Leak

There have been several post about an oil leak in the round plug in the head half covered by the chrome valve cover. Well I've got one. I've been looking at it and haven't figured out how to be sure I get a sealant plumb to the top of the plug with any certainty that it is sealed. But the chrome valve cover sounds like it is made of plastic and is shaped like a double ridge barn roof. I'm thinking I could cut, if it's plastic, the cover a little larger than the plug as high as the lower ridge. That would give me space to insure that the sealant gets to every place it needs to be. Aside from the change in appearence, can any one think of any problems that this may cause for the engine? Since I am truely mechanically declined and the budget won't allow haveing some one pull the motor, I'm looking for a solution that I can do myself. I've looked at the Service Manual that Trip posted and it looks like it is just a plug that is not attached to any thing and it recommends a sealant. There ain't a bunch of info in the book about that flippin' little plug. I'm wondering if I cut the cover, can I just replace the plug and how tuff that might be. Any ideas or info please.
Thakns for your time

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #2

don't cut yet. try to seal it first. worst case, you don't, and you get back to square one and then look at off the wall options (like cutting). Use a q-tip, lie on your back, try permatex (black), silicone, or JB Weld. Just make sure you let it set for half a day (i let it set for a day) before cranking. Before you try, use some engine degreaser to remove any traces of oil. Rough up the edges of the plug and the aluminum before trying to seal it. I'm going to retry this weekend using some of these tricks (rough up, use silicone and degreaser). I've gotta remove my tank and re-seal the water pipe in that same rear cylinder anyway (small coolant leak). might as well 'ringading' both of them up with silicone at the same time :-)

VBA #02442
VROC Member
PGR (Patriot Guard Riders)
MMCI (Masonic Motorcycle Club International)

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Author Unknown

01 Kaw Nomad 1500 (Vintage Red)

Old 11-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #3

Sonny, mine did the same. I cleaned it good with some spray brake cleaner then spread some black RTV silicone over the plug with a razor blade. It held for a while then started leaking again. I finally pulled the motor out and installed new plugs and rocker cover gaskets. No leaks now. You don't want to try and cut it. It's thicker than you think. It's hard to get under the chrome cover to seal it but you can do it.

Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Last edited by zoom45; 11-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #4

I certainly wouldn't cut anything. give it a real thorough cleaning in the cam plug area and work in the Permatex, it does work most times, but removing all traces of oil around the cam plug is very important.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #5

You shouldn't need to cut. I changed my high mileage Nomad over to synthetic quite late in life... which seems to bring on the cam plug leak fairly quickly as others have found.

Twice I cleaned it out as best as I could, and tried to pack that black permatex in there, and twice it began weeping slightly again after a few weeks.

So the last time I had to do it, I cleaned up the area once again as best I could, scraping off all the old permatex etc... then cut a couple of small squares of polycarbonate sheeting I had lying around the place after I made my own lowers. I cut the squares so that they were a little larger than the cam plugs, but I could fit them up under the overhanging chrome cover. Then I just slopped a whole lot of permatex all over the back, pushed them into place over the cam plug, let them go off for an hour or two, and then applied a little pressure for another 24 hours.

Not even the slightest leak ever since, and the permatex backed polycarbonate looks like it belongs there, if you even notice it at all.

I wouldn't think you need to use polycarbonate... any flat material that's moderately heat resistant (and polycarbonate certainly isn't that) would probably do the job.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #6

Thanks for the info ya'll. I reckon I'll leave the roto-zip alone. But Paul kinda got me to wonderir timeng if going back to Dino oil would make a difference?
Thanks for you

Old 11-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny View Post
Thanks for the info ya'll. I reckon I'll leave the roto-zip alone. But Paul kinda got me to wonderir timeng if going back to Dino oil would make a difference?
Thanks for you
Chances are that the synthetic oil actually cleaned the engine and seals of some sludge and gunk from the dino oil and exposed an already damaged seal. This is due to the qualities of the synthetic. When this happens (the leak), it usually has nothing to do with the synthetic, but it has actually unmasked a problem with the seals that already existed.

Going back to dino may slow or stop the leak, but it could simply be returning your engine to a dirtier operating environment and exposing it to more substantial long term damage.

Synthetic oils are far superior to dino and have proven their worth over many years. Stick with the better quality oil and deal with the underlying problem as best you can.
1st Officer, CMC 093 Ottawa Valley

VBA #02129
VROC #26950
VRAC (Original 10)

Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #8

Well..with the inventing of "The Smog Device"....as opposed to the old fashioned "Crank Case Breather Tube"

We all now have internal crankcase pressures...the existing tech, is supose to suck all that crank-vapors into the induction/exhaust/catelist..and clean the air of major portions of "pollution"....so Now Ya Got LEAKS caused by internal pressure build-up ! (Because ANY Government Designed -Any Thing, ... Wont Work Right)

A possible way your cam-seals might be persuaded to stop seeping...is to purchase a small "crankcase breather"...

My 2002 Nomad was seeping oil, at the rear cam-plug,..Above, in front of, the exhaust port.. so I ordered a $16 chrome,mini breather..and using a "T" fitting I used some clear fuel line (to be able to see any "blow by") and hooked it into the front crankcase breather hose, on the front engine case (down at the base of the front cyl) then I mounted the cute little chrome breather on a handy dandy bolt over on the frame, above the shifting lever

The seeping oil stopped ! ...12,000 miles ago !

ADDENDUM 1-15-2014 ..DING-DANG-IT..I just discovered my rear cam plug oil seep is "Active" Again !..tho very slight ! ?..I got about 15,000 miles of seep-free riding with the crankcase-breather..(perhaps I have a cam-chain,plug-well wear through)

Last edited by Silent Sam; 01-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #9

Sam....

Sounds like a smart move on your part. Wonder if you could post more info about the "chrome, mini-breather"....it's source or a link if possible. I'd like to follow your example and have not yet located a breather similar to your description.

Thanks in advance.

Slots
2006 Black Nomad
VBA #342
VROC #5921

"The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." -- William Blake

Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #10

Put mini crankcase breather into the E-bay search and you will get a lot of variations. Know what size tubing you want to use when you do it.

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #11

If you cut it you still can't replace the cam plug. The head has to come off. The plug has a raised edge that fits into the two head pieces. There is NO way to replace it without removing the engine from the bike.

MT
VBA 936

Old 11-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

Here's The One I Bought...(Amazon.com) BIKER CHOICE Die Cast Mount,
CRANKCASE BREATHER-Replacement
FILTER 74065A

...$10 - $13 plus shipping

Old 11-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #13

I have the same leak. Sounds like I need to clean it really good pack the area whit black RTV and put on a crank case breather. Than I'll have to do something with the side cover since the T6 has runined the finish on it and the tank at the rear mount tab.
VBA #656
Black 2007 1600 Nomad

Old 11-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelie View Post
I have the same leak. Sounds like I need to clean it really good pack the area whit black RTV and put on a crank case breather. Than I'll have to do something with the side cover since the T6 has runined the finish on it and the tank at the rear mount tab.
Don't understand why T6 would ruin the finish on the tank and side cover. I had this leak and ran Rotella T6 and it didn't hurt any finishes on my bike. Mine has now been repaired by rebuilding the engine and I plan to continue to run the T6

DC

VBA/KawaNOW #01625
Christian Motorcyclists Assoc.
Wheels Of Destiny Chapter #735
PA Wilds NE/Eastern Canada regional rally July 2012
Eureka Springs National 2015
Rolling Thunder Washington DC 2016
NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC 2016
VRA Eastern National at Maggie Valley 2017
99 Nomad G1 gone but never forgotten traded 4/8/17 for a 2017 Indian Roadmaster

Last edited by minst7877; 11-30-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #15

Thanks

Sam,

Got it. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Slots
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Here's The One I Bought...(Amazon.com) BIKER CHOICE Die Cast Mount,
CRANKCASE BREATHER-Replacement
FILTER 74065A

...$10 - $13 plus shipping