Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 PM   #1

Intake leak

Hey guys,

Is there an easy way to tell if my 2011 Voyager has the infamous intake leak without taking the intake apart? Or am I just being a baby and taking the intake apart isn't that big of a deal.
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #2

Dont know about intake leaks on these big assed bikes...

But spraying a little carb cleaner around the intake gasket area on a car..while the engine is running will expose a vacume leak...as the engine will pick up some RPM if the cleaner is drawn thru the "leak" ...good luck !

Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

I use starting fluid to check for leaks, you'll know if you have one.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

I've not heard of these bikes hving intake leak issues, either with stock or aftermarket intakes. Is it acting in a way that makes ya think it's got a leak?
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Old 03-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #5

Thunder Manufacturing sells a gasket to install behind the throttle body to seal the common intake leaks there.

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=472
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #6

Intake leaks on the 1700's has been well documented, so much so that after my thread on intake leaks and my fix way back in 2011...here's the link

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25279

It became such common knowledge that Thunder Mfg came up with a nice gasket to go between the t/b and intake manifold circumventing the machining process I used way back then.

I will NOT tune a 1700 on my dyno unless it has at least the gasket installed as any vacuum leak, large or small, will interfere with proper tuning and the quality of the results.

RACNRAY

Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Intake leaks on the 1700's has been well documented, so much so that after my thread on intake leaks and my fix way back in 2011...here's the link

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=25279

It became such common knowledge that Thunder Mfg came up with a nice gasket to go between the t/b and intake manifold circumventing the machining process I used way back then.

I will NOT tune a 1700 on my dyno unless it has at least the gasket installed as any vacuum leak, large or small, will interfere with proper tuning and the quality of the results.

RACNRAY
This is what is making me ask this question. After reading Ray's thread again, it seems as though it gets worse over time. With my bike only having 2300 miles on it I can already here some "muffled" gurgling going on on deceleration. With Vance and Hines slip-ons on my mind, I'm trying to nip the issue in the bud so to speak.

Ray, should I go ahead and order the Thunder gasket to fix the issue or is it more involved?
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons

Old 03-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #8

The method of checking for the leaks works as they said. Be careful though if your engine is real hot, that stuff can catch fire. Best to do it on a fresh start up.

Ray's thread has on the info also on re-installing the intake manifold with sealant.

My bike came new with throttle response issues so eventually I just pulled it all off all the way down to the ports. I put the intake manifold back on with hylomar blue sealant and installed the Thunder Mfg gasket on the throttle body. The thunder gasket does the job, it's a thin paper type gasket. But for the money it'll cost you can get better material at a local auto shop if you're good at punching the holes and cutting the pattern out. Autozone sells a 4x6 Karropak for less with no shipping.

I put some gasket sealer on both sides of the Thunder gasket, it seals good. I didn't really notice a whole lot of difference on my bike afterwards. Evidently I didn't have a leak. I later got the throttle issues ironed out with the PCV tuner.

I'd try testing the leak first, it's a pretty fair chore to pull it all off and put it all back on. Not real hard though, just better if you don't have to.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaquero convert View Post
This is what is making me ask this question. After reading Ray's thread again, it seems as though it gets worse over time. With my bike only having 2300 miles on it I can already here some "muffled" gurgling going on on deceleration. With Vance and Hines slip-ons on my mind, I'm trying to nip the issue in the bud so to speak.

Ray, should I go ahead and order the Thunder gasket to fix the issue or is it more involved?
Get the gasket, it's a step in the rite direction.

RACNRAY

Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #10

Being to lazy to read the info...and being an old school baby boomer...is it only the "gurgleing" on decelleration that indicates a leaking intake ?

The reason I inquire..is because my 02 nomad 'chuckles" a little on decelleration...and pre-imission's/craputerized, era vehicles all did a bit of chuckling, when you let off the throttle...so I'v assumed my Big Assed Bike has been acting "normal" ! ?

Old 03-23-2014, 09:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
Thunder Manufacturing sells a gasket to install behind the throttle body to seal the common intake leaks there.

http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=472
Haven't noticed any issues so far with my '13 Vaquero, but for the price of that gasket, I may just order one to have on hand.......
VBA#02576

Old 03-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Get the gasket, it's a step in the rite direction.

RACNRAY
Will the gasket work with the stock air box in place? Some have said the cross over tube does not fit right after using the gasket.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorgski View Post
Will the gasket work with the stock air box in place? Some have said the cross over tube does not fit right after using the gasket.
It worked fine with mine. It's not that thick, I don't see it causing any problems with air duct fitting together.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Being to lazy to read the info...and being an old school baby boomer...is it only the "gurgleing" on decelleration that indicates a leaking intake ? . . . . . .
No, if it's bad enough an intake leak is also characterized by a stutter or misfire on throttle roll on. Reason is the leaked in air is down stream of all the sensors and the ECU has no idea that much air is getting in. So it creates an abnormal lean condition.

Old 03-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #15

Thanks for the clairification R W B...

My Big Assed Bike just Torque's Into a steady speed gain with no problems so I'm good !