Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

1700 Heat Issue

I met another Vaq rider on the weekend who was told by his mechanic that Engine Ice might help lower the high operating temp on the bike. Anybody know anything about it? Is it a gimmick product? If it does cool things down, how cool is it going to be once the bike is rolling and the temp comes down anyhow?
Aux Driving Lights
Kuryakn Offset Pegs
Thunder Tornado Air Intake
Thunder Intake Gasket
Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro
V&H Twin Slash Slip-ons

1998 Virago 1100
Street-Ex Windshield
MC Engine Bars
Clocks for Bikes Handlebar Clock
V&H Classic II Exhaust
Saddlemen Teardrop Bags

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2014, 05:49 AM   #2

I bought engine ice and live in Edmonton, Alberta and have a oil temp guage as a dip stick on my bike. I have not noticed a difference in the temperature as the bike runs at about 192 degrees roughly and we have not had a real hot day here yet.

I would not suspect it would make a large difference in temperature at all just a small one but my idea is any heat loss is good for the bike and me. But as I said have not as of yet noticed a difference. With such a small amount of fluid in the system and only the heads on this bike being cooled I again suspect it might not get a chance to do its job really as you only add about an ounce or just a bit more to the system. Not the whole bottle of product. I will keep watching as the season progresses and update this post.

Last edited by buckey1313; 05-29-2014 at 05:52 AM.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #3
Top Contributor

I doubt you would notice any difference to the temp of the bike using Engine Ice.
Once you are rolling there is no "issue" and I have only felt the heat from the engine on 2 occasions where it was noticeable. Both times it was over 90f and stopped in traffic. Not an issue for me.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback guys. Redjay, I tend to agree with you. I have friends who ride HD deckers, they complain about the same thing, and I have also experienced some uncomfortable heat sitting in traffic on my Virago on a hot day. Bottom line I guess is if you don't want heat, don't ride a v-twin!
Aux Driving Lights
Kuryakn Offset Pegs
Thunder Intake Gasket
Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro
V&H Twin Slash Slip-ons

1998 Virago 1100
Street-Ex Windshield
MC Engine Bars
V&H Classic II Exhaust
Saddlemen Teardrop Bags

Old 05-29-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Top Contributor

If its over 90f you are going to feel heat from the engine when stopped in traffic.
I think that happens with a lot of motorcycles, not just 1700 Vulcans.
In my humble opinion the "heat issue" has been blown out of proportion on the 1700's.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by redjay; 05-29-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to dabull
I've heard from several Voyager riders that the engine ice does indeed help... Got no facts to back it up... Just seat of the pants--so to speak :)

Old 05-31-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Top Contributor

I dont doubt that the Engine Ice might bring the engine temp down a few degrees but on a hot day can you tell the difference between 95f and 98f :)

Old 05-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #8

If the temp dial is not pegged all the way to the Right of the temp gauge then you're fine. They just read hot but they're not. Just ignore it...My Kawasaki zx14 use to do the same, it's just a Kawasaki error on their gauges

Old 05-31-2014, 01:15 PM   #9

I used engine ice in a 08 nomad my friend has an identical set up on a 07 nomad. My fan runs a whole lot less than his. So I think it does help.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-31-2014, 04:11 PM   #10

"Coolent Enhancer's"..regardless of how -cool- your coolent runs, ..IF your thermostat is operating correctly..your engine operating temperature will remain the same !

However...if an additive will help dissapate heat from your coolent out/thru the radiator...Your cooling fan may indeed...run less often !

Old 05-31-2014, 07:50 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I'm with Sam. The thermostat will set the temp it seems to me?
Rockford Fosgate Punch PEQ Equalizer
Garmin Nuvi 4555 GPS Unit
Kawasaki Aux Light Kit
Ipod Kit w/4th Gen Ipod
Laam Custom Seat w/modified Backrest
Avon Grips w/RACNRAY's mod
Aluminum Mirror Risers
Clearview Large Windshield
Chuckster Trailer Hitch
12v accessory plug
VROC Member #36236

"I have not failed, I just found 10,000 ways that won't work" - Thomas A. Edison

Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Advanced Member

To a point the thermostat will set the temp but at some point it will be wide open. I can't speak for this bike or others....but on cars the stat goes wide open around 180 or so. Our bikes are considerably over that. If Engine Ice works it would keep it lower...but the stat would still be wide open.

Now, here is my thing with Engine Ice. I believe it works...it keeps the temp gauge lower by some amount. But there is this thing in physics, the law of conservation of energy. Energy is a constant...and heat is energy. If the engine is lower in temp that heat is going somewhere. I would assume it is going into the air as it passes through the radiator and then over us.

Not sure that Engine Ice will change the amount of heat we feel by any noticeable difference. But for the sake of the people trying it I sincerely hope I am wrong.

Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #13

Very interesting comments. It's always difficult to separate the wheat from the chaffe without some form of "controlled" testing, but I have to agree with Tonik, I hope it works if you are using it. Even if its just a placebo effect, if you feel more comfortable, you are more comfortable.
Aux Driving Lights
Kuryakn Offset Pegs
Thunder Intake Gasket
Cobra Fi2000 PowerPro
V&H Twin Slash Slip-ons

1998 Virago 1100
Street-Ex Windshield
MC Engine Bars
V&H Classic II Exhaust
Saddlemen Teardrop Bags

Old 06-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikketySplit View Post
Tonik, I hope it works if you are using it.
Not me, I'm not using it. I came from an 06 Nomad to a '13 Voyager with KAMS. I'm a very happy guy heat wise. So for me it's not broke and I am not going to fix it. However I get how others might not be happy so they should certainly try it. Can't hurt to try.

Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #15

solution!

yeah bikes get hot...i'm in tx we had 60 days without rain and 100+f last summer...ive tried engine ice, didn't cool off when fan kicked on though...now i use 30% coolant, 70% distilled water and about 5-6 oz of water wetter...wrapped pipes, tornado air kit, v&h slip ons, PCV with ignition, and custom dyno tuned map....still runs hot - RACNRAY just posted on the other forum that he removed the cover that says "6 speed" on the clutch side of the bike - where your floorboard is, and made a heat sink for the stator...i took off the cover and my bike is running fantastic!

Take off your 6 speed cover on the left floorboard side and enjoy a cooler bike (in 90f weather riding 90mph 2 up for 2 hrs never got to halfway on the coolant temp), slower to heat up much quicker to cool down and in less than 50mph speeds it still runs cool....fantastic mod and cheap too!!!!

just waiting on ray to get that heat sink made!

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...6&postcount=29

that is the link to his post!