Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

Question Tire pressure monitoring system

Who has one on their bike? handle bar mounted, hard wired, wireless, or the key fob style? Any problems , pros and cons? Thanks in advance everyone.

Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2014, 01:53 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

How would TPMS sensors be hard wired? I think they all use RF to communicate with the main unit.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
Who has one on their bike? handle bar mounted, hard wired, wireless, or the key fob style? Any problems , pros and cons? Thanks in advance everyone.

Voyager
I have one. Handle bar mounted. Works great. Hard wired into the electrical system. No problems. When powered up, it takes 6 minutes to communicate/ calibrate with the sensors on the wheels. But when you turn the key on and a tire is low, it will warn you immediately. The sensors can be used inside the tire or outside, but if out side you can't use rubber valve stems. It has a large red warning light that can be remotely mounted besides the one on the control unit. The kit provides all the necessary hardware. I've had it for almost a year and it works great. It is made by DORAN www.doranmfg.com/tirepressuremonitorproducts.htm. The only down side I see could be the price. About $200.00. But it is a good set up, well made and IMHO worth the peace of mind. You can see what your tire pressure is when the day, pavement and tires are hot . You can see what the pressure is in the morning and at night at a glance. Check them out.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #4

I use the key fob type, and really love it. Had it about 6 years, and only replaced the batteries in the senders once, about 2 years ago. The fob uses one AAA battery, and I think I've changed it 3 or 4 times. This is the one I have, but it can be found cheaper

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ea...Fe4F7AodtlIAtg

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #5

Digital tire gauge. Mounted in right saddlebag pocket.
Sorry, couldn't resist!

Illegitimati non carborundum
-
Gen. Joseph Stilwell

1999 VN 1500 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2014, 03:27 AM   #6

..Mine is a mini..with a magnet..stuck under the back seat back mount

Old 06-21-2014, 03:32 AM   #7

How's it Kevin, I use the same one as Vulcan E, works great.
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

Been using TireGard for over 6 or 7 years based on a coworkers recommendation.

Coworker's unit failed after 6 months. He kept it on an accessory shelf and the receiver got wet. To be fair, the unit was under warranty and he didn't bother to try and get a warranty replacement. TireGards now offer a cover for the receiver but it's a shock cover, not waterproof. Don't know why they won't fix that.

The receiver does look a bit cheezy/cheap. I wish they'd made a simple box out of it so it could be velcro'd easier. I installed the transmitters and took them off to confirm the pressure with a pencil gauge, then reinstalled. They agreed within a couple of pounds (I figure it's at least as accurate as a pencil gauge) and it was some small comfort that when I took the transmitters off the receiver began flashing and buzzing indicating a loss of pressure. Less than a month after first install (on a Triumph) I was pushing back from the garage getting ready to go to work. The unit began flashing and buzzing (I keep it in the tankbag map pocket). My first thought after reading the poor reviews was, well, the unit finally failed. Just to be sure, I got off the bike and did a tire check (it alerted on the rear). I kicked the tire and it felt OK, but I spun it slowly and in fact found a nail embedded in the tire. I confirmed the pressure was dropping. The unit worked as advertised.

2 additional coworkers purchased Tiregards based on my experience. One rides a Wing, the other an FJR1300.

I've become accustomed to having tire pressure available at a glance and appreciate that it has replaceable batteries at both ends. The receiver is switched on/off. The transmitters 'come to life' on rotation or pressure change so you can't go out into the garage late at night and expect to get a current reading. It will hold the last reading (when the transmitters 'go to sleep' as it were). When riding you can see the tire pressures increase as the tires warm. If you pick up a nail when riding, the unit will alert at a low pressure level you set. You can get an indication of an impending situation and at least have an idea of how far you can go before it becomes critical. I've gotten in the habit of occasionally looking down and checking the pressure, because now I can. Some ride with the unit in a pocket which pretty much defeats having a gauge available. I feel better looking at the numbers just like the other gauges.

Over the years and tens of thousands of miles I've only used external TPMS with rubber valve stems and never had a stem fail (never had a stem fail yet for anything). Have hit potholes large enough to bend my front rim, ridden up to the axles in water, and the unit continued without flinching. That's not an endorsement for going on an enduro ride with it, but you probably could.

I also used a TireWatch internal system on a BMW (it wouldn't work on tubed tires). On a trip to Alaska I replaced a rear tire on the return leg in Canada. The next day the TireWatch alerted while on the road. I had picked up a nail within a day of getting the new tire. I wanted to believe the unit failed... but it didn't. What it did tell me was that with topping up the tire every morning the leak was slow enough that I could deal with it when I got home, I could actually see it as it went down through the day. It had a nicer receiver that looked much better than the TireGard and it came with metal valve stems to use with the senders. The TireWatch was not designed to have user replaceable batteries in the senders. You're suppose to replace it when they die... You can actually break them open and solder in new batteries, but it's a PITA.

I would recommend anyone get a TPMS. If not the Tiregard, then a competitor. I like the technology and got another set for my DR650.

Oh, I also have a digital gauge that I keep in the tankbag. You know how often it has told me I picked up a nail and had a slow leak while riding? Yes, you know.

Edited: So it appears TireGard does in-fact now offer a more reasonable handlebar receiver

Last edited by jjg3; 06-28-2014 at 12:24 AM.