Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Ever try a Motorcycle Dolly - the ones you park the bike on and push around

I may be spending a lot of time next year away from home and I am thinking that if I could find a storage place near where I will be I could store my 2004 Nomad so I have it.

Many storage units in cities are inside units and the halls can be pretty narrow to muscle a 700 plus pound bike around. So, I am considering one of the Harbor Freight motorcycle dollies to make it easier.

I figure a 5x10 space will be just big enough for the bike on the dolly but I do need to measure the overall dolly length to be sure.

If I had ore money, I would just buy a cheap dr400 or dr650 dual sport and use that but that is plan B for now. Obviously the smaller bikes would be easier to move but not so much fun for a several hundred mile ride back home on weekends.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

I have one of those low profile dollies and it works fairly well for me. Unfortunately my garage floor has a few spots where the surface concrete crumbled and if I don't maneuver the dolly correctly it gets stuck. Once that happens it becomes a real pain the ass to move. My garage is long but narrow. With this dolly I am able to park the bike flush against the wall all the way in the back of the garage and still fit my wife's car in with room to spare.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 11-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #3

I have the one from Harbor Freight and it works. The floor must be very smooth like BigRed states or it will be stuck. For the money it is OK. Bought mine with a coupon and I don't remember what I paid for it. What I do remember is it took a few months to have it in stock. It is either popular for the price or they ran out. Not the best but it does work.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #4

So, the Harbor Freight unit is long enough for a 2004 Nomad 1500? From my measurements I think I need at least 75 inches of rail to the 75.5 inches between the stop pins that Harbor freight quotes.

I have their 20% off one item coupon and these are on sale so I plan to take the chance.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterbore View Post
So, the Harbor Freight unit is long enough for a 2004 Nomad 1500? From my measurements I think I need at least 75 inches of rail to the 75.5 inches between the stop pins that Harbor freight quotes.

I have their 20% off one item coupon and these are on sale so I plan to take the chance.
Let the rest of us know how this works out for you. I've been looking at a different model dolly more expensive but made long for cruisers. No need if this one will work okay.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2014, 01:46 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:

One of the great things about Harbor Freight is their return policy. If it doesn't work take it back. Another thing is the wheel or caster diameter. The smaller the diameter the more the rough floors will be a problem. Harbor Freight has a great selection of small casters. You could put larger casters on to eliminate the floor problem.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 12-01-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

Depending on how it's engineered, I always try to replace small metal caster's with larger diameter hard rubber one's...It makes a world of difference !

Old 12-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #8

Quote:

Did you ever get that Harbor Freight Dolly ??

Old 12-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

Not yet, I have a 20% off one item coupon too. Just a busy time of year with work 😞

Last edited by Quarterbore; 12-11-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #10

Heads up, the stand is on sale $79.99 instead of $99.99 plus there is a 25% off one item coupon that expires today. So, I bought it for $59.99 but it's not put together yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418591038.226616.jpg