Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #1

Wiring diagram...Vaquero Horn

I want to install the WOLO horn on my 2011 Vaquero using the original horn button wiring. Where do I look for the wiring? I know I need to use the fuse block that comes with it. Thanks ahead of time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

You need to use a relay. You run a dedicated, fuse protected power circuit from your battery (+) terminal to the relay post #30, a dedicated ground wire from the (-) battery terminal to the (-) terminal of the horn, a heavy duty (10-12 ga) wire from post #87 to the (+) terminal on the horn, and one of the factory horn wires to post #86 and the other to post #85.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
You need to use a relay. You run a dedicated, fuse protected power circuit from your battery (+) terminal to the relay post #30, a dedicated ground wire from the (-) battery terminal to the (-) terminal of the horn, a heavy duty (10-12 ga) wire from post #87 to the (+) terminal on the horn, and one of the factory horn wires to post #86 and the other to post #85.
Thanks for that information Cactus. That is exactly what I was searching for. Will be installing my WOLO soon. I wish they made that comment when you order the horn rather than just saying you can use the original wires. LOL
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #4

Check our tech section, there is a good drawing there of how to wire a relay.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Advanced Member

when I ordered my denali sound bomb ( just like the wolo) you could order a wiring harness consisting of all the wires needed including the relay. installation is easy, basically plug and play

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by razwrld View Post
I want to install the WOLO horn on my 2011 Vaquero using the original horn button wiring. Where do I look for the wiring? I know I need to use the fuse block that comes with it. Thanks ahead of time.
I had a Stebel horn on my 2011 Vaquero using only the stock wiring per a very trustworthy tech from my local dealer who related to me that the wiring harness was different on the 1700s and did not require a relay. You can take it for what its worth but I had that horn on for at least two years and used frequently in Phoenix traffic and never had a problem. I traded that bike this past December and the new owner has also not experienced any problems.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
I had a Stebel horn on my 2011 Vaquero using only the stock wiring per a very trustworthy tech from my local dealer who related to me that the wiring harness was different on the 1700s and did not require a relay. You can take it for what its worth but I had that horn on for at least two years and used frequently in Phoenix traffic and never had a problem. I traded that bike this past December and the new owner has also not experienced any problems.

Did the "trustworthy" tech also replace the stock horn fuse (10 amp by the way) with a 20 amp fuse? The Stebel horn pulls about 17 amps the last time I checked. It would blow a 10 amp fuse in a New York minute. If the tech put a 20 amp fuse into a circuit rated for 10 amps I don't think I would call him trustworthy. It may be "working OK" for now, but eventually the horn switch and/or the wiring is going to get burned.

Last edited by 6m4now; 03-20-2015 at 03:48 PM.