Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Demo rides

My wife and I are in the nc mountains this week for are anniversary went to black wolf Harley yesterday and demoed a limited looks like the ultra but an in and a half lower handle great thru the curves but didn't care for the vibrator effect at stops also felt cramped compared to my 14 vaq . Your feet feel feel a bit large for this bike as well .

So don't understand the Harley craze these days. They look good though.

Skullshaker

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #2

I did a Harley demo at Americade. I tried an Electra Glide and felt cramped on it. I also tried a CVO Heritage Softtail Classic. I was not impressed. I thought it felt loose and rattly. The $30,000 they are asking for this model gets you the name,extra chrome to clean and a paint job. If you get the opportunity to try a Victory Vision DO IT. It seems to be made for tall people.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Before I got my current ride, I owned a 1600 Nomad. I test rode a Ultra, Voyager, Vision and then RT. The Ultra and Voyager were more cramped than the 1600. The interesting thing is the the Ultra had a 96" engine and it felt no different in power from the Voyager's 103. The Vision is a better bike for tall folks for sure. I am 6'5 and I had no issues with the ergos. The looks, well, are an acquired taste. I would think the HD 103 would have more stonk than the Kaw 1700. The Vision 106 was better than either. Then I took the RT for a ride. The thing is, the test rides on the HD and Kawasaki were limited whereas the dealer that let me test ride the Vision and RT basically said have fun. I even had to put gas in the RT. Whatever you decide to buy, take it for a real test ride, which is longer than 4-10 miles and where you don't have to follow anyone.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Before I got my current ride, I owned a 1600 Nomad. I test rode a Ultra, Voyager, Vision and then RT. The Ultra and Voyager were more cramped than the 1600. The interesting thing is the the Ultra had a 96" engine and it felt no different in power from the Voyager's 103. The Vision is a better bike for tall folks for sure. I am 6'5 and I had no issues with the ergos. The looks, well, are an acquired taste. I would think the HD 103 would have more stonk than the Kaw 1700. The Vision 106 was better than either. Then I took the RT for a ride. The thing is, the test rides on the HD and Kawasaki were limited whereas the dealer that let me test ride the Vision and RT basically said have fun. I even had to put gas in the RT. Whatever you decide to buy, take it for a real test ride, which is longer than 4-10 miles and where you don't have to follow anyone.
Hey ponch not looking to buy I was just curious, and especially my wife she wanted to try out the couch as she calls it, the back seat with the huge backrest we rode with the some of the hog chapter for maybe 25 or 30 miles or so I will say the stereo system is way better in sound quality. I like all bikes I chose the vaq because it fits, and have had several kawi s over the years and I know there quality

Old 05-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
Hey ponch not looking to buy I was just curious, and especially my wife she wanted to try out the couch as she calls it, the back seat with the huge backrest we rode with the some of the hog chapter for maybe 25 or 30 miles or so I will say the stereo system is way better in sound quality. I like all bikes I chose the vaq because it fits, and have had several kawi s over the years and I know there quality
There is a difference in quality between Kawasakis and HD, BMWs and Victorys. I will say that the Vaquero wasn't out when I test rode bikes to get my next one. The downside is that they aren't setup for comfortable 2 up riding out the door. Prior to buying the BMW, I'd owned only Kawasaki. They didn't have something I wanted at that time and still don't, but that's another story.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
There is a difference in quality between Kawasakis and HD, BMWs and Victorys. I will say that the Vaquero wasn't out when I test rode bikes to get my next one. The downside is that they aren't setup for comfortable 2 up riding out the door. Prior to buying the BMW, I'd owned only Kawasaki. They didn't have something I wanted at that time and still don't, but that's another story.
When it's time to look at another bike I will take a serious look at Harley I like that style of cruiser. But for now love my vaquero, and not really seeing kawi keeping up a desirable cruiser for me. My tastes are somewhat old school.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
When it's time to look at another bike I will take a serious look at Harley I like that style of cruiser. But for now love my vaquero, and not really seeing kawi keeping up a desirable cruiser for me. My tastes are somewhat old school.
There's Indian now too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-19-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
Mega-Contributor

The Harley craze has been going strong for 112 years. When I was looking for a new touring bike, I didn't want a Voyager or a Nomad and there was no tourpak available for the Vaquero or I would have considered one. Victory didn't have the Cross Country Tour available yet, So that narrowed down my options. After all the custom work I did on my 07 Nomad, I just wanted to ride instead of engineering options and accessories, so I went with a turnkey touring bike.

You must have ridden an Ultra Limited Low, which is an Ultra Limited with a lower seat. Two guys from work have bought them in the past couple of weeks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-19-2015, 02:02 AM   #9

When I am touring the standard question always asked is what bike is the best. My answer; "What fits you and what is the most comfortable." This can be anything from a scooter to the top of the line touring models. If it fits, you will ride it. If it doesn't fit the bike will be towed or left in the garage. Ponch, CJ and the others are correct, ride everything with an open mind. When you finally narrow the list you will keep coming back to one of them over and over. I could care less about the marketing hype or peer pressure, the fact we can still ride is the most important. My wife is starting to ride the shorter trips with me more frequently and needed a decent comfort level, too. Every time I had the chance I talked to owners and asked two questions; what are the problems and what do you like. Amazing the little things you learn and may decide it is a disqualification. After countless demo rides from crappy weather, hot weather, and everything in between the Cross Country Tour fit me the best. It will be interesting to find out your choice.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
The Harley craze has been going strong for 112 years. When I was looking for a new touring bike, I didn't want a Voyager or a Nomad and there was no tourpak available for the Vaquero or I would have considered one. Victory didn't have the Cross Country Tour available yet, So that narrowed down my options. After all the custom work I did on my 07 Nomad, I just wanted to ride instead of engineering options and accessories, so I went with a turnkey touring bike.

You must have ridden an Ultra Limited Low, which is an Ultra Limited with a lower seat. Two guys from work have bought them in the past couple of weeks.
One rider on a BMW forum just got a RG Special in blue. He put Ohlins shocks and fork cartridges on it and a tour pak. Swears by it, said the shocks transformed it though.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-19-2015, 09:57 PM   #11

I just had a 1600 mile test ride on a 20013 Road Glide Ultra. Granted it was a rental that I picked up in Phoenix for my wife and me to ride through AZ, but it honestly it did not inspire me to make HD my next ride. I liked the torque of the 103, and the 6 gears, and it did everything that I asked it to. But it simply didn't feel like something I wanted to own. There are other choices that interest me more, but nothing is really tugging at me at this point. Guess I will just keep riding the Nomad until something calls my name. Glad I had the opportunity to get some miles on it, but I wasn't sad to give it back...

Yoda
VBA #01311
SCRC Chapter 289
07 Nomad

Old 05-19-2015, 11:22 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
I just had a 1600 mile test ride on a 20013 Road Glide Ultra. Granted it was a rental that I picked up in Phoenix for my wife and me to ride through AZ, but it honestly it did not inspire me to make HD my next ride. I liked the torque of the 103, and the 6 gears, and it did everything that I asked it to. But it simply didn't feel like something I wanted to own. There are other choices that interest me more, but nothing is really tugging at me at this point. Guess I will just keep riding the Nomad until something calls my name. Glad I had the opportunity to get some miles on it, but I wasn't sad to give it back...
I think the newer Rushmore engined bikes have a little more stonk and they handle and stop better too. Depending from whom you rent, there are newer HDs. That said, there are other choices too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

JMO, Between AZ Bikefest and the IMC show I have ridden everything available, except BMW (not my style).
I put 30,000 miles on my 2012 Voyager and loved it, but the fit and finish of the Rushmore Harley's was far better.
I did not like the Victory Cross Country Tour and don't like the look of the Vision, the CCT felt cheap even the wife who only rides on the back thought so, but the leg room was the best of any, and the space ship design leaves Alot to be desired.
As far as Indian, the look is ok (if you like that style) and the power of the 113 is nice, but you think the Kawi's are hot, Double or even Triple that and you are on an Indian, NOT in Arizona.......
For HD, the improvement they made with Project Rushmore is what made up my mind, the Twin Cooled 103, Reflex ABS Brakes, Infotainment system, All LED lighting, and the Comfort of being able to move the trunk position were all major factors for me, as well as the availability of accessories.
It seems that a lot of people are stuck on the price of the HD, but If you bought a new Voyager and put all of the upgrades to what the Limited comes with out the door, the Voyager would cost as much if not more, and there are a lot more color choice than just one with green pin striping.(just say'n)
None of the others have cruiser style touring bike to compare to right now.
Don't get me wrong, I put MANY happy miles on my Voyager, but IMO if Kawi is going to stay in the Touring market they need to step up their game alot..........The wife also commented that the HD is the only one that was more comfortable than the Voyager, and to not hear complaints from the back seat on long rides is a major +++++++ to anyone.

2012 Voyager / Gone
2006 Vulcan Classic Anniversary Edition / Gone

VBA #02052
VROC #34932

Last edited by AZ Voyager; 05-20-2015 at 09:38 AM.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Voyager View Post
JMO, Between AZ Bikefest and the IMC show I have ridden everything available, except BMW (not my style).
I put 30,000 miles on my 2012 Voyager and loved it, but the fit and finish of the Rushmore Harley's was far better.
I did not like the Victory Cross Country Tour and don't like the look of the Vision, the CCT felt cheap even the wife who only rides on the back thought so, but the leg room was the best of any, and the space ship design leaves Alot to be desired.
As far as Indian, the look is ok (if you like that style) and the power of the 113 is nice, but you think the Kawi's are hot, Double or even Triple that and you are on an Indian, NOT in Arizona.......
For HD, the improvement they made with Project Rushmore is what made up my mind, the Twin Cooled 103, Reflex ABS Brakes, Infotainment system, All LED lighting, and the Comfort of being able to move the trunk position were all major factors for me, as well as the availability of accessories.
It seems that a lot of people are stuck on the price of the HD, but If you bought a new Voyager and put all of the upgrades to what the Limited comes with out the door, the Voyager would cost as much if not more, and there are a lot more color choice than just one with green pin striping.(just say'n)
Don't get me wrong, I put MANY happy miles on my Voyager, but IMO if Kawi is going to stay in the Touring market they need to step up their game alot..........
And that's why I didn't buy a Kaw after my Nomad. I'd have to try the new HD to see if it's been improved and with the Indian, it's not up to HD fit and finish standards and it costs more. They also have unusual maintenance requirements like 20w-40 oil and belt replacement intervals of 30K miles. That said, I am not into style so much as it has to work for me, do everything well. To that end, I don't care what brand or style it is.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Voyager View Post
Don't get me wrong, I put MANY happy miles on my Voyager, but IMO if Kawi is going to stay in the Touring market they need to step up their game alot..........The wife also commented that the HD is the only one that was more comfortable than the Voyager, and to not hear complaints from the back seat on long rides is a major +++++++ to anyone.
Funny, I felt much as you do when I demo rode the Victory Vision and traded my 2011 Vaquero on it! The Victory was the only tourer I rode that I felt was most comfortable and handled best of the big three tourers not counting BMW which is not my cup of tea either.
Its all in the perception and personal feelings like to me the Vision is far more modern looking than the Harley or the Voyageur which doesnt make it so but that is my perception.
At any rate it all boils down to the individual and his/her likes/dislikes because realistically they are all machines subject to flaws and breakdowns.
On a different note, you missed 27 bikes on a mixed ride last weekend.