Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-27-2015, 10:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Never could figure out a saying my grandmother used to say, a stitch in time saves nine. Does that mean 9 sewing machine quiet bikes travelling together will be saved at the intersection because they could actually hear the horn beeping of the runaway bus?
Norm, I appreciate you staying up late last night to research my question on another thread but you really need to get more sleep
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

My pipes aren't quiet by any means, but what do you guys consider loud pipes anyway? Straight pipes in my opinion are loud pipes...

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 05-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #18

I have the V&H Twin Slash cans on my bike and removed the baffles and ran basically straight pipes and it was LOUD. Kept them off for awhile and honestly liked the sound. Pulling in an out of a parking garage made my ears ring even with a full face helmet on which was a downfall and the loss of torque was a bit different but I was harder on the throttle to make the bike scream so the butt dyno didn't really notice to much of a difference. To me it gave the Vaquero the sounds to match the looks of the beast of a bike, gave it more attitude.

In the end I put the baffles back in less the fiberglass packing since I upgraded my stereo and couldn't hear it with the debaffled pipes. If I didn't care about listening to music when I rode I would have left the straight pipes...although everyone around me did appreciate the quieter bike...but it's your bike ride it the way you want to (as long as you don't mind the extra attention and stares you will get)

Old 05-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #19

im amazed you guys still talking about it. i was more concern about performance downfall, and ID-MAN answered that in the first reply. i do like the enthusiasm. you guys are awesome. cant wait to learn more from you all.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
im amazed you guys still talking about it. i was more concern about performance downfall, and ID-MAN answered that in the first reply. i do like the enthusiasm. you guys are awesome. cant wait to learn more from you all.
Well performance does play a part also, if you run straight pipes around my neighbourhood, I can pretty much guarantee your bike won't run right in the morning.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakirider View Post
"Skilled Riders Saves Lives!!!"
Hey, haven't seen you on here in years. I assume you're still riding? If I recall, you have a black/silver 09 Nomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
My pipes aren't quiet by any means, but what do you guys consider loud pipes anyway? Straight pipes in my opinion are loud pipes...
any pipe that has the baffles totally removed.your pipes were fine last I heard them.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 06-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #23
Advanced Member

You can run straight pipes provided they are long enough but running just the header pipes without silencers will make your bike run hotter an you will take a loss on low end torque and overall power. You must have some scavenging or you can also burn out your exhaust valves and cause expensive repair for your motor.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #24

When I bought my Harley I had them take off the fishtails. I didn't tell them that on my test ride they were blubbering and back firing. Asked for stock bagger muffs and bike runs great; except for the 1200 $ cam chain tensioner repair I'm waiting for. So I bought a Nomad in Feb. I'm taking off the VH slips and putting on Harley slash cuts from an 09 FLH. I'll let ya know how it is...haven't finished yet, one on and one to go.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #25
Advanced Member

VARider that combo should sound real sweet....please let us know.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by VARider07 View Post
When I bought my Harley I had them take off the fishtails. I didn't tell them that on my test ride they were blubbering and back firing. Asked for stock bagger muffs and bike runs great; except for the 1200 $ cam chain tensioner repair I'm waiting for. So I bought a Nomad in Feb. I'm taking off the VH slips and putting on Harley slash cuts from an 09 FLH. I'll let ya know how it is...haven't finished yet, one on and one to go.
i got couple of stock harley pipes laying around, that might be a good idea for now. how will you work around the left side pipe since its not a true 2 pipes going back there.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #27

Yeah, men, I am posting a new thread in 1600 over finished muff install. It sounds sweet, but...right pipe is REAL HOT. I think it's from all the added back pressure; I think the rt. muff has a long baffle and then a short one at the end, which I saw, and thought that was all. I was wrong. The muffs went on V&H True Duals to replace their cans which were 96 db at idle. This is on an '07 1600 Nomad with now 12k mi. Later.