Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #1

Possible radiator airflow improvement

So I noticed that the areas around the sides of the Voyager/Vaquero radiator are not closed off, allowing some air to pass around the rad instead of through it. I wondered if anyone had tried installing the "Low and Mean" brand radiator cover for the mean streak to close these areas and direct air into the radiator more efficiently. While the Streak and Voyager have different part # radiators, the protective screen in front is identical on both.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ69...FUGUfgodc6gMUg

I've thought of making a fairing for this area but if the Low/Mean product can be adapted I wonder if it would help with coolant temps?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Top Contributor

$300 and it might not fit due to the different frames of the Meanstreak and Voyager is an expensive experiment. If you could fit it then it would only help when you are moving. There is usually not an issue with coolant temps on the 1700's until you are in stop and go traffic ?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:06 AM   #3

Don't forget the fins on the motor also need airflow. That's why they let some air pass by. I would like to see the fan kick on at a lower temp or have a way to switch it on to run constant at low speeds, that would help in heavy traffic.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBO Vaquero View Post
Don't forget the fins on the motor also need airflow. That's why they let some air pass by. I would like to see the fan kick on at a lower temp or have a way to switch it on to run constant at low speeds, that would help in heavy traffic.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...ight=blue+wire

Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

I don't notice much of a heat issue on my bike , it stays right around the middle of the gauge . It will go up to 1 line above the middle while going thru town traffic. My bike has fuel management and I added some water wetter when I did the coolant flush . But it wouldn't be hard to fab. up something to direct more flow , ive thought about doing this . the only draw back is it would be a aluminum fabrication and would most likely not look good very long from road debris
PCV

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

the fan switch is probably the most effective choice. ---my last ride was a xvz1200 yam. venture 1983 - I used a fan switch a lot---also made fiber glass panels that forced more air through the rad. - used 20% coolant mix which cools better than 50% + water wetter. all that helped the venture which was a hot machine

as a thought look at HEAT SINK USA.COM - they sell strips of heat sink in diff. shapes & sizes that could be attached to a rad. tank. -- if there is enough room on upper & lower tank both front & back maybe that would shed a noticeable amount of heat to help out and would not be very noticeable---its cheap too

Old 07-01-2015, 09:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post

Thanks for that link that's exactly what I want to do to mine!

Old 07-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #8

Thanks for the inputs!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD's DM Voyager View Post
So I noticed that the areas around the sides of the Voyager/Vaquero radiator are not closed off, allowing some air to pass around the rad instead of through it.
Is this a serious question?

Have you noticed the whole bike's open? That's a lot of air not going through the radiator.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

Have you noticed the whole bike's open? That's a lot of air not going through the radiator.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 07-08-2015, 12:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I was asking for constructive inputs since I've only had my Voyager for a few months and the bike runs much warmer than my VTX1800. Its hot here in AZ, and the bike runs with the temp indicator near the last white line and a few times past it almost to the red. I already read up on other threads talking about running positions for the lowers to reduce heat. I'm trying anything possible to improve airflow and reduce the indicated heat.

So YES it was a serious question.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Don't take Dave seriously, nobody else does.