Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #1

baffectomy

hey everyone! glad to be here!

I'm a new nomad owner. 2007 1600 and i f'ing love it!

the dude i bought it from did a lot of work and added plenty of tasty extras but he kept the stock exhaust. i like the sound but i need more and before i spend $$$ on new pipes , I'm curious about the baffle removal Ive been seeing. ( the sticky thread here about baffectomy has a broken link, btw)

ive watched the youtube videos and read up but dont see much follow up on results. i was wondering if anyone can tell me if they had problems after doing it? i dont like problems, i like to ride.

ive heard of everything from FI problems to blue'ing of pipes.

anyone do a baffectomy years ago and have anything to say about it? good or bad?

thx again!

tony

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #2

i scanned the forum, i know theres a few threads about debaffling but like i said, im looking for someone with years of debaffled nomad riding for possible problems?

Old 11-09-2015, 05:54 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Tony look for a thread about gagets page there is tons of info there not sure what the link is anymore since I sold my gonad and bought a vaquero and the site went down but someone has picked it up since then

Old 11-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #4

Welcome aboard! While never having owned a bafflectomied bike I have heard lots of them over the years. For my personal taste I find them to still be a bit quieter than what I would like.
I have V&H pipes and they can be tuned for a variety od sound levels depending on your taste.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #5

I debaffled and ran it for a while that way. No problems with the job or the results. Sounds better than stock (IMO) but not nearly as good as the Cobra Longs I installed later on!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2015, 07:20 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Depends what you like. I am not a fan of loud pipes and the bafflectomy was just what I was looking for. Don't be tempted to gut the goatbelly. Been there done that.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

The baffle removal is not loud by my standards and as anyone who has been on this forum for any amount of time can tell you , I hate loud pipes.
I have done it on my previous 07 Nomad and put 88,000 miles on it with no problems.
I now have a 2008 Nomad and the first thing I did after purchase was the baffle removal.
Sooooooooooooo, I suggest you do the bafflectomy and if that is not loud enough and you need to piss more people off with more noise then that is up to you
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
The baffle removal is not loud by my standards and as anyone who has been on this forum for any amount of time can tell you , I hate loud pipes.
I have done it on my previous 07 Nomad and put 88,000 miles on it with no problems.
I now have a 2008 Nomad and the first thing I did after purchase was the baffle removal.
Sooooooooooooo, I suggest you do the bafflectomy and if that is not loud enough and you need to piss more people off with more noise then that is up to you
Another unbiased opinion from TC!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #9
VBA Founder

Tony, I ran my 2005 Nomad for 9 years with the baffles removed. It doesn't make your pipes louder, just throatier, IMHO. Enjoyed the sound with no ill-effects. Below is a link to the pdf off my website.

Trip

http://www.hilliard.ws/sigs/RemovingNomadSilencers.pdf
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Last edited by trip; 11-10-2015 at 08:33 PM.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 AM   #10

And here's a link to the resurrected Gadgets site anyway... Heaps of excellent ideas in there to keep you busy till next riding season.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
And here's a link to the resurrected Gadgets site anyway... Heaps of excellent ideas in there to keep you busy till next riding season.
thanks Peg ( I thought someone might chime in )

Old 11-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

Thank you all for the info.

Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #13

I've done quite a few here in my shop and all the customers have been happy campers with results. Little more rumble with out all the $$$'s

No adverse problems doing this mod at all

I have a insert made of hard nylon to fit the ID of the pipe, from there just insert the hole saw and cut away. If you want one let me know and I can make you one.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
Tony look for a thread about gagets page there is tons of info there not sure what the link is anymore since I sold my gonad and bought a vaquero and the site went down but someone has picked it up since then
vulcan gonad lol!!

Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRat View Post
I debaffled and ran it for a while that way. No problems with the job or the results. Sounds better than stock (IMO) but not nearly as good as the Cobra Longs I installed later on!
thanks thats what i wanna know! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
best post yet about this! thx! yeah dont want mega loud, my neighbor has a mega loud bike he rides every day and i want to kill him sometimes coming in at 3 am on a Monday night!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip View Post
Tony, I ran my 2005 Nomad for 9 years with the baffles removed. It doesn't make your pipes louder, just throatier, IMHO. Enjoyed the sound with no ill-effects. Below is a link to the pdf off my website.

Trip

http://www.hilliard.ws/sigs/RemovingNomadSilencers.pdf
i just want more growl. i love the sound, i want it a bit more throatier.9 years with no prob, 88k miles with no problem. i am satisfied! thx for the link too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
awesome thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster131 View Post
I've done quite a few here in my shop and all the customers have been happy campers with results. Little more rumble with out all the $$$'s

No adverse problems doing this mod at all

I have a insert made of hard nylon to fit the ID of the pipe, from there just insert the hole saw and cut away. If you want one let me know and I can make you one.
man dude thx for the info and the offer! i might take ya up on it :)

thx everybody!! awesome forum , love it!