Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

taller bars

Ok I know this has been on here before but I haven't found anything yet specific to the 1500 nomads so here it goes.
I'm installing a set of 12 inch bars with the stock risers on my 2002 nomad and found that my brake line is too short. Just wondering if it is possible to reroute the front brake line to gain the length I need. Clutch line is a little snug but will work. I also have a fairing installed if that makes a difference. If I do need to replace the line, where is a recommended place to go. I'm in Canada and on a bit of a tighter budget.
Thanx

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #2

I have a 1500 with a set of 13" apes. Yes, the brake line can be rerouted around the triple tree, however, the top portion of the brake line can be purchased from GalferUSA. I replaced all my lines and did a complete fluid flush while I was at it. Here is their link: www.galferusa.com
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 03-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #3

I am right in the middle of doing a 14" ape hanger install and went with the Barnett throttle cables and break , clutch hoses . These guys have a great reputation . You can order the complete front break set or just the top portion that you need.

https://www.barnettclutches.com/

And yes I agree , Galfer is a great company as well . I wouldn't hesitate using them as well.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

So when you order, how did you order the proper one as all I found where stock sets, nothing stating stock plus lengths on both sites.
Really starting to get a little frustrated as I was hoping for a quick swap and then go for a ride. I really should've known better though.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #5

Find a local hydraulic shop and have them built while you wait. Cheaper, faster, and correct. I used an-3 banjos and covered mine with black, but the shop I used could have built clear covered stainless and crimped on the banjos.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....utch-line.html

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....ake-lines.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-13-2016, 11:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
So when you order, how did you order the proper one as all I found where stock sets, nothing stating stock plus lengths on both sites.
Really starting to get a little frustrated as I was hoping for a quick swap and then go for a ride. I really should've known better though.
I called and talked to Mark. He was very helpful. I placed the order with him. BTW, I ordered +4 inches over stock length.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 03-13-2016, 11:05 PM   #7

I placed my order order the phone . I had my new bars on the bike and did a quick measurement and told them I needed them to be 6" over stock. I myself hate ordering online unless I can speak to someone in person so there's no mistaking what I need.

Old 03-14-2016, 12:48 AM   #8

I do actually like the idea of having them built local, I'll have to look into several shops I know of. I also like the idea of dealing with companies that know bike parts the problem that I have found with having to call in orders ( do this with work alot) is that no matter how many times you confirm over the phone what your looking for, you have no proof of what you honestly ordered if things go wrong.