Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #1

Ultra Limited ride

well... i just had to do it.. rode to daytona last saturday with few guys and harleys everywhere...out of thousands that were at the speedway...and triple that around main street, not one nomad did i see... ?? only one voyager.. dont get it really but monday i rode to our closest harley dealer and test rode a 2016 ultra limited in cosmic blue pearl.. i mean beautiful... list at 28500...i mean crazy.. my honest opinion is now in...it has clunky shift also... it is more stable on interstate at 70 - 80 with very little side to side movement... feels a little better in slow cornering...however, the buffetting, albeit it better, is more than i thought it would be..slightly better with the vent in fairing open but still shakin my glasses...the controls seem better made on my kaw. and overall i just thought that my 1700 was really a better made bike.. sounds better, idles better.. ( harleys are different i know i that regard ) cruises smoother, and just feels more solid... the ultra sits better, lower and is more comfortable on my 2x ass..about the same amount of power in the two but after reaching 75 for few minutes in 6th, i actually found myself wanting a 7th..?? kinda weird...just the opposite in the 1700.. not real comfortable until about 75.. but i would still love to have a harley one day ! i think.. why is that ? whats wrong with me ? would love to hear from other test riders out there.. by the way, took my oversize lowers off and the bike feels better at high speeds..just sayin

1970 3hp mini bike
1971 Honda CB 350
1978 Honda CX 500
1994 Honda CRF 230
2013 Kaw Nomad 1700

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Test ride a Victory Cross Country Tour before you buy a Ultra.....
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-14-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

(my 2 cents' worth) Before I bought my first cruiser (2004 Honda VTX 1300) I knew then that I did not want a Harley. First and foremost, I recall how bad Harleys were back in the 70s when they were made by AMF. You couldn't give them away. I do acknowledge that ever since Arnold rode one in The Terminator, and they immediately became a status symbol (which seemed like everyone just had to have one) that they are much better made product. Then there is the marketing of the brand. And how just walking into a Harley dealer you pay through the nose for whatever. From servicing the thing to the apparel. Then, (and this is a personal observation/opinion and am in no way generalizing) it seems to me that many of the 'Harley crowd' have to dress/act/ a certain way. "I ride a Harley, therefore I am" Certainly an attitude. To me that just seems too much like a lifestyle (for lack of a better term) to have to live up to, or conform to I guess. I see one Harley and ....well I've seen them all. There seems to be no originality. And I just have never been one to 'Follow the herd' Which Is why I ride what I ride. AND.... when I bought my first cruiser, a good friend (who has owned nothing but Harleys) said to me that for the money, Jap cruisers were "as good or better" than Harley. I've ridden them and quite honestly have not been impressed. Then again, it is a personal choice.

Truck-Lite LED Headlight - LED Fog Lights
Kawi Pass Floor Boards - Luverne Lowering Links
JLAudio 280/4 AMP
6.5 Speaker Adapters - JLAudio 6.5 -
JLAudio SUB
CD MagicFlex Accent Lights

Last edited by c3po; 03-14-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:51 AM   #4

You only desire a Harley because you have not ridden an Indian.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 03-15-2016, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
You only desire a Harley because you have not ridden an Indian.
I do believe I remember you posting when you got your Indian. How has it been? Nice ride? How many miles on it now? It sure is a nice looking bike

Lovin my 2010 Nomad
Rob Woodall
Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers
088 Picton
VBA # 02445

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #6

Ive had many HD's. Rode an Indian for 2 months, almost bought a Victory CC . Tested the Vaquero and never looked back. To each their own. In my opinion I'm gonna ride what feels right for me. I've had very bad luck with several of my HD's. Had 1 taken back under the lemon law and dealt with never ending recalls on a few others but if they make one I liked better than the VAQ i'd get it and that goes for every other brand. I don't buy a bike for what others see as a status symbol. I draw the line at BMW. No matter what angle you turn it, you just can't get the ugly off of it. The BMW and the Victory vision are just in a special class of ugly IMO

Old 03-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I must disagree that Harley's were so bad in the 70s that they couldn't give them away. I had a 78 Electra Glide Limited Edition and it was a fine machine. A friend has it now and still commutes on it. To me AMF has always gotten a bad rap but is generally credited with saving Harley with development of the EVO engine with Porche. I also had a 1988 Electra Glide that I rode throughout the country, to include Route 66.

1978 Electra Glide

1988 Electra Glide

I presently have a very fine 2002 Super Glide that I am seriously tricking out.

Yes, Harleys are very cool. They look and sound great, are always head turners and are are steeped in American motorcycle tradition. However, to me they do not have the quality of our Nomads or other Japanese twins. The later are sometimes regarded as "Hardlies" though.

My recommendation is to keep your Nomad for your long range touring and if you feel the need to have a Harley, get either a Dyna or a Softail.

Edit: I forgot the Dyna. With the Thunderheader and Screamin' Eagle intake it sounds great and steps right out.

Last edited by Navigator; 03-16-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjob View Post
I do believe I remember you posting when you got your Indian. How has it been? Nice ride? How many miles on it now? It sure is a nice looking bike
I can not ride as much as I would like to do to our youngest child Baby. She will be 12 this month. We usually take a few weeks in summer to ride but she is getting old and quirky and our kids are all working full time so we need to be with her in her golden years. She is a great dog and worth it.I have 5,800 miles on it and it is really good. Rides great lots of power and draws attention every where. People love seeing Indians on the road. So far very happy with it. Some on the Indian forum have 50,000 miles now and are still loving them so they seem to be holding up great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140708_084940.jpg (90.4 KB, 11 views)

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 03-17-2016, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjob View Post
Thanks for asking. I did love my Nomad but the Roadmaster seduced me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-01-16 19.28.25-1.jpg (98.9 KB, 15 views)

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 03-17-2016, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I must disagree that Harley's were so bad in the 70s that they couldn't give them away. I had a 78 Electra Glide Limited Edition and it was a fine machine. A friend has it now and still commutes on it. To me AMF has always gotten a bad rap but is generally credited with saving Harley with development of the EVO engine with Porche. I also had a 1988 Electra Glide that I rode throughout the country, to include Route 66.

1978 Electra Glide

1988 Electra Glide

I presently have a very fine 2002 Super Glide that I am seriously tricking out.

Yes, Harleys are very cool. They look and sound great, are always head turners and are are steeped in American motorcycle tradition. However, to me they do not have the quality of our Nomads or other Japanese twins. The later are sometimes regarded as "Hardlies" though.

My recommendation is to keep your Nomad for your long range touring and if you feel the need to have a Harley, get either a Dyna or a Softail.

Edit: I forgot the Dyna. With the Thunderheader and Screamin' Eagle intake it sounds great and steps right out.
Love that 1978 seat. It's crazy looking but probably really comfortable.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 03-18-2016, 01:41 AM   #11

gcsteve, She is beautiful.......the dog not the bike....just kidding. Both are gorgeous. I have a tan and rust color male that is 12 years old as well. He has been a great loyal dog. I rescued him from the local animal shelter.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #12

Thanks. She is the best and unbelievably smart. She is a petite Rottweiler at about 80lbs. Still very healthy but has arthritis in hips and front legs. She can still walk a mile a mile a day though. But then she sleeps for 4 hours. I use to walk her 2 to sometimes 5 miles. Only eats real food too, sweet potatoes and chicken or beef.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 03-18-2016, 09:30 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthumb View Post
well... i just had to do it.. rode to daytona last saturday with few guys and harleys everywhere...out of thousands that were at the speedway...and triple that around main street, not one nomad did i see... ?? only one voyager.. dont get it really but monday i rode to our closest harley dealer and test rode a 2016 ultra limited in cosmic blue pearl.. i mean beautiful... list at 28500...i mean crazy.. my honest opinion is now in...it has clunky shift also... it is more stable on interstate at 70 - 80 with very little side to side movement... feels a little better in slow cornering...however, the buffetting, albeit it better, is more than i thought it would be..slightly better with the vent in fairing open but still shakin my glasses...the controls seem better made on my kaw. and overall i just thought that my 1700 was really a better made bike.. sounds better, idles better.. ( harleys are different i know i that regard ) cruises smoother, and just feels more solid... the ultra sits better, lower and is more comfortable on my 2x ass..about the same amount of power in the two but after reaching 75 for few minutes in 6th, i actually found myself wanting a 7th..?? kinda weird...just the opposite in the 1700.. not real comfortable until about 75.. but i would still love to have a harley one day ! i think.. why is that ? whats wrong with me ? would love to hear from other test riders out there.. by the way, took my oversize lowers off and the bike feels better at high speeds..just sayin
If you want to try HD, try a Road Glide Ultra. The frame mounted fairing is superior and it has the twin cooled engine that the Limited has.

I test rode the Vision, Voyager and Ultra after selling my Nomad. I ended up going in a different direction after test ride #4...There are more choices.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 03-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo1966 View Post
Ive had many HD's. Rode an Indian for 2 months, almost bought a Victory CC . Tested the Vaquero and never looked back. To each their own. In my opinion I'm gonna ride what feels right for me. I've had very bad luck with several of my HD's. Had 1 taken back under the lemon law and dealt with never ending recalls on a few others but if they make one I liked better than the VAQ i'd get it and that goes for every other brand. I don't buy a bike for what others see as a status symbol. I draw the line at BMW. No matter what angle you turn it, you just can't get the ugly off of it. The BMW and the Victory vision are just in a special class of ugly IMO
I test rode the vision and yes, the looks are an acquired taste. That and the brakes seemed to require more effort and didn't have good feedback. As far as BMW goes, I think they look fine. They work better too. No real shortcomings in function and losing 250lbs of bike without losing anything was pretty good too.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #15
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3po View Post
Then there is the marketing of the brand. And how just walking into a Harley dealer you pay through the nose for whatever. From servicing the thing to the apparel. Then, (and this is a personal observation/opinion and am in no way generalizing) it seems to me that many of the 'Harley crowd' have to dress/act/ a certain way. "I ride a Harley, therefore I am" Certainly an attitude. To me that just seems too much like a lifestyle (for lack of a better term) to have to live up to, or conform to I guess. I see one Harley and ....well I've seen them all. There seems to be no originality. And I just have never been one to 'Follow the herd'
I know how you feel. The company that espouses individuality foments conformity in the group that buys their bikes. It's been one of the stops for me. Everyone has one or so it seems, especially in black. Why do I want to be like everyone else? But then there is conformity in general among different riding segments: The weekend pirate, the dayglo half assed astronauts and the power rangers. A lot of the folks that ride BMWs can be dayglo half assed astronauts (and sufferers of OCD and possibly Aspergers), but I take Ron Swanson's lead in this.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT