Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-21-2016, 11:43 AM   #1

Anyone dealt with Thunder Mfg. ?

I'm researching air filter kits and am leaning towards the kit by Thunder Mfg. that retains the stock filter cover on the 1700s. I like the look of the stock setup and this looks like the only way to upgrade the intake and do that. If you've done business with this company I'd like to hear your feedback and experience with them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I bought some stuff from them several years ago for my Nomad. They are local to me, so I went to their shop to pick up my purchase. They are a legitimate outfit and have been around for many years.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I had them on the phone talking about different air set ups for my 1700 and ended up with the tornado kit which works very well. I had to relocate my air temp sensor and it ended up with extended wiring and up under the fairing. They have been around for a good while and know what they are doing and they are very quality conscious.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #4

Thanks cactusjack.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #5

Haven't dealt with them, but if you're looking to keep your original look check out Chuckster Customs Joe builds real quality parts and does customer service like it should be done, air filter supplied is a K&N
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Pr...ber=CC-KAIS-BP

Present rides
1983 Honda Shadow VT750 - Harley Killer
2005 Yamahe V-Star - Yarley
2012 Kawasaki Voyager - Weeping Angel

http://tourofhonor.com/ #97 (2019) #128 (2018) #8 (2017) #458 (2016)
IBA #50918
VBA #2296

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-21-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Got my intake and PCV from them. Great service. They check with me after ordering and pre-mapped my PVC to fit the intake and exhuast that I have. The kit included great instructions on hooking everything up.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillhouse View Post
Haven't dealt with them, but if you're looking to keep your original look check out Chuckster Customs Joe builds real quality parts and does customer service like it should be done, air filter supplied is a K&N
http://chucksterscustoms.com/Home/Pr...ber=CC-KAIS-BP
Thanks! Now I have another option and it looks like it's a little less expensive.

Old 03-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

Have bought several intakes from them last two were for my vtx 1800 and my current vaquero they have always been great to deal with

Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

Have the same intake you looking at on my Voyager. You do get some intake noise with it, some like it, some dont. No problems in the order or the product. Suggest you get the intake gasket also.

Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Have the same intake you looking at on my Voyager. You do get some intake noise with it, some like it, some dont. No problems in the order or the product. Suggest you get the intake gasket also.
What kind of power gains have you experienced? It doesn't come with an intake gasket?

Old 03-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #11

I called and talked to Joe at Chuckster Customs and he makes a system that's very similar to the one Thunder Mfg. makes for a lower price. Really nice guy, I might give it a try. That, Vance & Hines or Cobra slip ons and ECU reflash from Ivan's and I'm hoping I get the kind of performance I'm looking for.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #12

Both Thunder and Chuckster has provided me great service. I've ordered items from both of them.

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Old 03-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #13
Advanced Member

You may want to get some gasket material and make a gasket where the air filter mount goes to the intake. I would think that would be included, but it's not hard to make one yourself.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
Advanced Member

That's what I did...just smeared a little Permatex high temp gasket sealer/maker on my Thunder intake manifold and it worked out just fine. Any auto parts store usually carries it.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
That's what I did...just smeared a little Permatex high temp gasket sealer/maker on my Thunder intake manifold and it worked out just fine. Any auto parts store usually carries it.
In hindsight now, if I would have looked to the right in my tool closet I'd have seen the permatex. Instead I looked straight ahead and saw the sheet of gasket material.

Yes, permatex is much faster and easier.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash