Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #1

After market air kits

Does anyone have a video of an install of an BAK or other air kit on there Nomad? I have searched YouTube and can not find anything. I would like to see how it is done and what you put on the left side when the dog bowl comes off.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
2008 Vulcan 900 LT (sold)
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbait53 View Post
Does anyone have a video of an install of an BAK or other air kit on there Nomad? I have searched YouTube and can not find anything. I would like to see how it is done and what you put on the left side when the dog bowl comes off.
You put nothing on the left side. I did a complete solenoid removal and only kept the backplate on the right and added auto 9" K&N style filter kit, left off the bottom and just did the filter and top. The hardest part is getting rid of the tube, it needs to be cut out, but the performance is better and nothing on the left is cool looking, very clean.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

Chuckster's makes a great plate to go on the left side. I put the black Baron's BAK on the right. The setup looks great. Photos below:

Quote:

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 08-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

I like the chuckster plate. It looks good Caveman. Can novice bike mechanic take on a project like this? Does Baron or anyone supply instructions on how to remove the stock air intake? This sounds like there is no going back once you start this.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Old 08-10-2016, 10:15 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Just so you know, if you install a BAK you will need an aftermarket fuel processor if you don't have one installed already.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #6

10-4 on that. I have a Cobra FI2000R already installed along with V&H duels. The Cobra currently isn't doing very much right now because of the stock intake. I just wish there was a video out there showing step by step removing the stock and preparing it for the new one. I just don't want to screw anything up.

Barry
2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600
Trinity, Al.
Roll Tide

Old 08-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewalkman View Post
You put nothing on the left side. I did a complete solenoid removal and only kept the backplate on the right and added auto 9" K&N style filter kit, left off the bottom and just did the filter and top. The hardest part is getting rid of the tube, it needs to be cut out, but the performance is better and nothing on the left is cool looking, very clean.
Or you can put left cover back on. I got the Chuckster Voyager kit that uses the OEM cover on the right side. I don't know if he makes that for your bike, though.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Bak

Quote:
10-4 on that. I have a Cobra FI2000R already installed along with V&H duels. The Cobra currently isn't doing very much right now because of the stock intake. I just wish there was a video out there showing step by step removing the stock and preparing it for the new one. I just don't want to screw anything up.
Why not contact Chuckster for detailed instructions ?

http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/

Old 08-10-2016, 03:27 PM   #9
Advanced Member

for air kit I went online to Thunder Mfg, for the left side I bought a ignition key relocation plate from Lee Sido

Old 08-10-2016, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
I like the chuckster plate. It looks good Caveman. Can novice bike mechanic take on a project like this? Does Baron or anyone supply instructions on how to remove the stock air intake? This sounds like there is no going back once you start this.
Chuckster's kit comes with detailed instructions. I'dd buy his kit.
I had his on an 08 Nomad.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-10-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

I too went with the Chuckster option. And as far as the left side bowl I got a little creative with some foam padding. My left bowl is now a "secret" compartment filled with a spare bike key, some spare cash, and miscellaneous odds and ends that are easily accessed with an Allen wrench I keep in my windshield bag. Bike Bank Bingo!!!
Cobra Fi2000r ,Fire & Steel light bar,Cobra freeway bars, Kuryakyn highway pegs,Kuryakyn pedal covers,Barons 7 LED tachometer, Chucksters' 2" risers, Kuryakyn RTB controller, Kuryakyn grips, heel and toe covers. Galfer S.S. braided lines.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #12

I have Chucksters dual plate and I am very happy with it. Here is a posted link to photos provided by another satisfied customer. http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19503

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-11-2016, 12:10 AM   #13

The instructions with the Baron's kit are very clear. It looks harder than it really is. Follow the instructions step by step & you'll be fine. The most difficult part is cutting out the crossover tube. Be patient with your Dremel bit & you'll be fine.
BTW - it makes it much easier to do your cam chain extenders after you've gutted the crossover tube.

Quote:

---------------------------------
2007 Vulcan 1600 Nomad
- 18" Street Glide Front wheel conversion (details are on this forum)
- HD King Tour-Pak w/ Wompus Rack
- Mustang wide touring two piece seat
- Chuckster's 3" Handlebar Risers
- Baron's Big Air Kit
- Chuckster's left side decorative plate
- Cobra True Duals w/ Billet Tips
- Speedmetal Cree LED Headlight conversion kit
- Michelin Commander II tires

Real Estate Broker/Property Manager
Las Vegas, NV USA

Old 08-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
My left bowl is now a "secret" compartment
Not secret anymore. I kept the left dog bowl for similar reasons. It holds my jumper cables, zip ties and spare wire for repairs on the road if needed.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 08-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
Advanced Member

my secret is I put my '05 800 spare key inside the insurance papers folder put in a plastic sandwich bag tucked inside the pocket of the tank bib, and if someone finds that and tries to use the spare key to steal my bike, the key will only work 1 way cause the key wasn't cut correctly on 1 side, so that's my secret, but I figure no one would want an old '05 800 anyways, it's those new Harley's they want to flip for $, so I'm safe, unless its a kid wanting a to have a joy ride on my baby, then I'm screwed