Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-04-2016, 06:31 PM   #1

scootworks and their reputation

I am interested in the Scootworks PHAT 11 risers for my 2008 Nomad. Having read about Scootworks less than stellar reputation I am losing interest in their risers. Has anybody dealt with them lately? Have they improved, or retained their lack of customer service?
TIA
Tom

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2016, 08:13 PM   #2

You can buy phatt II risers from Value Accessories or at Amazon through 621 Cycles and skip dealing with Scootworks. I just bought a set from Value Accessories. They are made by Scootworks.

David (Framer) Marang
2018 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
VBA#02245
VROC#35311

2013 Antlers 2014 Mountain View 2014 Antlers
2015 Eureka Springs 2015 Antlers 2016 Salem 2016 Antlers
2017 Eureka Springs 2017 Lake George 2017 Antlers
2018 Custer

Old 10-04-2016, 08:24 PM   #3

I used Scootworks this past winter for their Phat Risers II without any problems. My only issue is the exchange rate and the shipping charges which tack quite a bit on for us in Canada. Not Scootworks doing though. They were well worth the money for me.

2003 Nomad 1500Fi
V & H pipes
MS Batwing
Meanie spring with Judges washers
Phat risers
‘97 Royal Star rear fender rack

Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I bought risers from them a few months ago with no problems.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #5

I purchased risers for my Sabre a few years ago. No problems.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #6

I wouldn't go anywhere near them, and I'd suggest that anyone like me living in a different country don't go anywhere near them either. It's just not worth the risk, given Dave Hockaday's extremely poor reputation.

He makes some good stuff though, so the last pair of Scootworks risers I bought, I picked up used on the forums, saved a few dollars on new, shipped them using a shipping agent to save a whole lot more, and avoided taking the risk entirely.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 10-04-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Old 10-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #7

scootworks experience

I live in Australia and recently purchased the Phat II risers on line from Scootworks for my 03 Nomad. I didn't have any issues with them at all. In fact, I was really surprised how quickly, reliably and painlessly the process was. I haven't fitted the risers yet but they appear to be a quality item.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies. I checked out Amazon and they actually have them in stock, so that's where I will get them. I will save some money on shipping as my sister is in Florida and will come home at Xmas. I can have them shipped to her.
I have read conflicting stories about the PHAT 11 risers hitting the instrument nacelle. Did anybody have this problem on their 2008 1600 Nomad?
Thanks
Tom

Old 10-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #9

I've got the Phat 2's on my 08 Nomad. I put them on about 3 years ago. If I remember correctly, they have 2 sets of holes in the bottom so they can moved forward to avoid hitting the instrument nacelle. I mounted mine in the holes that placed the risers farther back because I wanted my bars as far back as they would go. I probably have less than 5 millimeters clearance, but the risers have never touched the nacelle.
VBA #2495
Matagorda County Cavalry

Old 10-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #10

I purchased the mount for my trunk box from Scootworks. Workmanship was erxcellent. Fit was exact. Order and delivery was timely... I was encouraged.

Then there was the "Brake Pedal incident". I had learned that the foot pedal from a Mean Streak would fit my Nomad, but it was longer and taller off the foot board, all things I was looking for. I searched around and found that Scootworks offered a beefier version. I ordered it. BIG mistake. After 9 months of broken promises and lam excuses I finally demanded a refund and haven't been back since. I ended up ordering the brake pedal from my local Kawasaki dealer.

So, would I use Scootworks again.. No thanks
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 PM   #11

I think the many negative comments about Scootworks scared me off. As stated earlier I will buy through Amazon. I see no need to take a chance when I have other options.
A thank you to all who answered my post.
Tom

Old 10-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawalski Rider View Post
I purchased the mount for my trunk box from Scootworks. Workmanship was erxcellent. Fit was exact. Order and delivery was timely... I was encouraged.

Then there was the "Brake Pedal incident". I had learned that the foot pedal from a Mean Streak would fit my Nomad, but it was longer and taller off the foot board, all things I was looking for. I searched around and found that Scootworks offered a beefier version. I ordered it. BIG mistake. After 9 months of broken promises and lam excuses I finally demanded a refund and haven't been back since. I ended up ordering the brake pedal from my local Kawasaki dealer.

So, would I use Scootworks again.. No thanks
I had the same experience with the brake pedal, charged my credit card when I ordered it but excuses galore as to why it's not being shipped, finally couldn't get a response from them. I had MasterCard reverse the charge and won't deal with them again.
And unless I'm mistaken, 621 Cycles IS Scootworks under a new banner, presumably to try to cover their poor customer service tracks.

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 10-06-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up www.621cycles.com

In 2004 started dealing with Scoot Works. I had 100% happy satisfaction on my part. But the last 6yrs haven't dealt with them. I believe the Owner had a web page called the "Two Vulcans"

I did some checking about what a couple posts said.
And
Its True you can purchase items at the www.621cycles.com looks to me like identical items For A Lot Less.

I'm big on Ebay purchases vs. Amazon

Old 10-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
In 2004 started dealing with Scoot Works. I had 100% happy satisfaction on my part. But the last 6yrs haven't dealt with them. I believe the Owner had a web page called the "Two Vulcans"

I did some checking about what a couple posts said.
And
Its True you can purchase items at the www.621cycles.com looks to me like identical items For A Lot Less.

I'm big on Ebay purchases vs. Amazon
As I suspected, read this.

https://www.marketplacepulse.com/amazon/usa/621-cycles

VBA# 02595
2004 Nomad VN1500L5 FI
1999 HD Superglide Sport (SOLD)
2009 BMW F650GS

Old 10-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #15

Had a bad experience with them.Ordered a trunk,mount,backrest & risers.After 2 months finally got the trunk (excellent product).Never received mount,backrest or risers.Credit card company reversed charges for those items.NEVER AGAIN WITH SCOOTWORKS or 621 CYCLES.