Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #16

i use 15-40 rotella
02 nomad 1500 sold

https://epgsoft.com/VisitedStatesMap...FL.NJ.MD.CT.RI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave m View Post
i use 15-40 rotella
Same here. Great oil at a great price that's readily available, and it's rated JASO. I also use the T6 5w 40 mostly during the summer.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopperhed View Post

Also, some penny-pinchers will put super cheap diesel truck oil in their bikes (Rotella).... they are gamblers also. ALL diesel trucks have at least a 3-4 GALLON oiling system, each molecule of oil is subjected to less lifetime stress than the puny 4-5 quarts in your bike. Not to mention the fact that diesel ENGINES do not share the oil with a transmission that imposes higher shearing forces. And the kicker...... diesel engine oil is designed for diesel engines which have RPM limits that are HALF of what your cycle engine is designed for. That's why Rotella is so much cheaper than motorcycle oil. Yes, diesels have exhaust heat, MORE than your cycle engine, but your engine revs higher & shares the oil with the transmission and clutch. It really is an apples and oranges comparison.
You have any scientific proof of your claim of Rotella oil or is it just more heresy on your part? Think our Vulcans aren't RPM limited? Or do you think the JASO rating of Rotella means nothing? Also, where did you get your degree from being that you are so educated on oil?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpro215 View Post
Can of worms/oil LOL I used syn in my 2004 Nomad. Started having oil leaks. Quit using it, no leaks. Started using Kawaski Genuine oil. No problem. Now have a 2009 1700 Nomad. Same oil. No problems. In my eyes I use their oil. Can't say that I screwed up my bike because of oil. Reason I am saying this is that I had a car with extended warrenty and they claimed the oil I used caused the problem. It wasn't genuine oil for the make of car. Well I won the suit, but it was something I don't want to go thru again. Use what you want, but I am sticking to Kawasaki oil. If I had a Yamaha I would use their oil.
My two cents
Back in the day, I briefly dabbled with Mobil 1 in my '96 1500C, had side cover seepage where there was none before, as did many 1500 Classic owners, and some had clutch issues also. Good stuff for a car engine that doesn't share the oil with the clutch and tranny, though. Royal Purple is in my 2010 F250.

Last edited by Kopperhed; 11-07-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunVulcan View Post
You have any scientific proof of your claim of Rotella oil or is it just more heresy on your part? Think our Vulcans aren't RPM limited? Or do you think the JASO rating of Rotella means nothing? Also, where did you get your degree from being that you are so educated on oil?

I'm waiting for you to dispute my facts about the difference in engine design and application first. Vulcan 1700 redline is somewhere south of 6800 rpm, my old Powerstroke 7.3 was around 3,500-4000, general practice was to keep it below 3,000 for longevity. pretty sure my brother's Cummins diesel doesn't twist higher than 4 grand either. Both were automatic transmissions, so they used transmission fluid, and no clutches obviously.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunVulcan View Post
Same here. Great oil at a great price that's readily available, and it's rated JASO. I also use the T6 5w 40 mostly during the summer.

you use thinner oil in the warmer weather?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #22

Well have completed my oil change Saturday an all seems well plus my bike is running very well. When I took out the old oil it was really black an this is after only 3000 miles is there something else anyone could tell me I should be concerned about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed1277 View Post
Well have completed my oil change Saturday an all seems well plus my bike is running very well. When I took out the old oil it was really black an this is after only 3000 miles is there something else anyone could tell me I should be concerned about

unless it smells like pure gasoline and you can light it on fire, sounds about normal.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #24

Cool thanks

Old 11-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave m View Post
i use 15-40 rotella
I've used that in the past and used Kawasaki oil for the first service currently at 4k and will switch to rotella. may try the synthetic stuff on this bike as I truly plan on keeping it for a while.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
I've used that in the past and used Kawasaki oil for the first service currently at 4k and will switch to rotella. may try the synthetic stuff on this bike as I truly plan on keeping it for a while.
I have been running Kawa synthetic and Kawa oil filter since the break in oil change in 2008, no complaints or issues. I figure it really is not that more expensive and since I do all my own work, I figure throwing a little coin the dealers way just might help him stay in business for when I do need him.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 11-09-2016, 02:33 PM   #27

this is mostly a personal opinion on oil and evry one has a reason for what kind they use even if it dont make any sense -- ideas from what dad used or a friend influence lots of people -- sometimes oil/filters are blamed for problems just because folks dont no what else to blame it on --- some oils test good in an area and do poorly in another and if U dont research the diff U dont know --- bottom line is the vehicule mfg engeneers give us guidelines to go buy and if we stay in the reccomended group things will work ok and u dont abuse the machine --- i have tried several types of oil in my bikes and nothing has out performed any other but i change o/f by 3000 mi because of transmission causing viscosity sheardown -- oil isnt very dirty -- i use rotella 15/40 and purolator pure one -- but if i rode hard and waited til the oil was filthy to change i would use a synthetic oil --- i have experimented with oils and additaves in cars for 50 + years in family cars and at the drag strip and if u dont have any mechanical issues it all works the same if u keep it full and clean---- that is my experience not an opinion --- thanks for ur kind attention

Old 11-09-2016, 10:04 PM   #28

Ok Kawasaki don't make oil. It's just another oil company with Kawasaki name on it. I have used rotella on all my 4 motorcycle over the last 20 years because it as the Jaso ma stamp for motorcycles. No problems!!

OEM saddle bag liners
OEM Auxiliary Driving lights
OEM ipod connection
OEM highway peg bracket
OEM driver and passenger Backrest
Baggershield
Ray's Throttle Mod
Cobra tri-ovals
mustange seat
Ivan's Flash
Kenwood Stereo and Speakers
Randy's 6.5 speaker adaptors
Rockford Amp

Old 11-09-2016, 11:55 PM   #29

Oil threads......everyone has an opinion on whats the best.

In the Kawasaki manual it does not call for a motorcycle specific oil, nor did the manual for my 2015 FJR1300. A bike the turned out almost twice the power of my current Vaquero and would turn 9000rpm.

As per the manual "4 stroke motor oils with API SG, SH,SJ,SL,SM and meet JASO MA, MA1, MA2 rating" As such Rotella t and T6 meet the requirements set out by the manufacturer, as do some other non motorcycle specific oils.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #30
Advanced Member

If television has taught me nothing else, it's that if I use Crisco, I'll get all but a tablespoon of oil back out of the bike. When it ultimately fails.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash