Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-03-2016, 12:35 AM   #1

Oil Leak '99 Nomad

Is it possible to get an oil leak as a result of a bit too much oil added to engine? Before I got an extendable mirror to check me oil level sight glass, I "thought" that I had the correct about of oil (it was the first oil change since buying the bike recently), but now see that it's definitely high. I developed a leak at the top of the front cylinder while running under pressure. Here's a pic (not of my bike) showing the two suspect o-rings where leak has begun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2016, 06:40 AM   #2

Check the Cam plugs . clean them off and take it for a ride . Mine started seeping after I went to Full Synthetic Oil . I did not get the Photo in Your Post .

Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #3

If it is the cam end caps,give the groove around the outside edge a good clean with some spirit and a toothbrush.Then put some clear sillicone in it.It worked for me.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #4

What Mick said . I bet half the Vulcans out there got RTV Silicone on them . It is a common Leak .

Old 12-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #5
Advanced Member

You might want to check your valve cover bolts too. I thought mine was coming from the cam plug, but it turned out to be loose valve cover bolts. You can get an 8 mm box end wrench or a 1/4" drive ratchet and 8 mm socket on all of them. I had one that wasn't even threaded. It was bouncing around loose in the hole. At the time my bike only had 5,240 miles on it, so could've been missed during assembly somehow.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #6

GREAT, thanks for the input, guys!! That's a relief!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #7

Actually, I had changed over to 100% Synthetic!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
You might want to check your valve cover bolts too. I thought mine was coming from the cam plug, but it turned out to be loose valve cover bolts. You can get an 8 mm box end wrench or a 1/4" drive ratchet and 8 mm socket on all of them. I had one that wasn't even threaded. It was bouncing around loose in the hole. At the time my bike only had 5,240 miles on it, so could've been missed during assembly somehow.
#

If i remember correctly,some of them need a swivel adapter,On account they are a bastard to get at.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
#

If i remember correctly,some of them need a swivel adapter,On account they are a bastard to get at.
I don't recall using a swivel, but it's been a couple years now and I'm getting older.

Might've had to put the socket on a couple then put the ratchet on once the socket was in place??? Can't remember.

I'm thinking I either propped the fuel tank up, or took it off so I could get at all of them.

Ahh here's my old post from when it was still fresh in my brain.

I did this a year ago and still no leaks.

I've had a pesky oil leak on the rear cylinder pretty much since I bought it. The bike was a 99 with 5,240 miles on it and had sat in the garage for much of it's life. The leak hasn't been terrible, but a pain and had to carry a rag around with me to wipe it up occasionally. It was not coming from the cam plug. I got to looking at it today and I could see one of the 8 mm bolts holding on the cover and noticed I could get a ratchet and socket on it. It was in the corner where the leak comes from and put the ratchet on it to find it was only finger tight. Snugged it down and pulled the gas tank off. I found all the valve cover bolts on both cylinders were accessible with either an 8 mm box end wrench or 1/4" drive ratchet and 8mm socket a 4" wobble extension and snugged them all down. Most were loose. One of the bolt's threads were not even started. It was just sitting in the hole and bouncing around for who knows how long.

Don't know if it'll fix the leak or not, but you might want to check these. Could be too late for mine as it's been leaking for quite some time, but you might be able to catch the problem before it starts on yours.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 12-03-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #10

Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #11

thanks Dan . I will check Mine During the winter Mods . Did You Find that Rattle ?

Old 12-04-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Hey Scott. Yep. I updated the post yesterday. I think she's good to go now. I'll have to keep my runs close to home for a while to build some confidence in it, but it's looking good so far. Thanks for asking.

VBA member #01682
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider