Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-31-2018, 07:28 PM   #16
Sr. Contributor

I haven't been around here is ages . If you do a TFI plug n play, and nothing else it will be a good deal for you. These engine are staved for fuel from the factory. There is no way to change that with out something like the TFI, but look no further the TFI IS the one to have.

It has 4 pot screws and you do not use pot 3, so now there are 3 screws left to set.
The 4th screw is a rpm counter so set it to book spec. You can mess with that later if you want to change a few smaller things.

Pot Screw 1 is the one to deal with first which gets idle to mid rpm range, will cool the engine down, allow you to run 87 octane only, get you a little more power, incread your miles per gallon. ( I used to be a foreign car tech, and any time I added more fuel to an engine to get more power I always lost miles per gallon, but not on 1500 and 1600 nomads I don't. That is proof positive these engine are fuel starved.)

Pot 2 is like an accelerator pump on a carb. it's for passing, or getting going in a serious hurry. it can be left off, until you want to set it up, or you can book set it.

Back to Pot 1 when you set that up rpm will increase. Make it increase as much as it will. Since you don't have a free flow ait set up, just doing this once is probable . Get max RPM and trim the throttle plate screw OUT to get apx 900 rpm. Refine at that point turning the screw to be too rich and back to to lean. Once you find the sweet spot Best RPM, set the screw 2 dots richer, and call it good.

These engine are 9:1 compression ratio and should run and always should have run on 87 octane. The EPA is trying to break the laws of physics, with carbon producing, too even of a burn long flame duration Hi test, which also hits your wallet harder than it should.

Probably all this is in some archives here. Long ago it was a hot topic.
I was on FB and saw something that lead me here.

Do it !

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 PM   #17

MAC! GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK BUDDY!

I just copy pasted a similar old post of yours to someone else on here the other day. It's still the best guide there is for setting up a TFI.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 05-31-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:17 AM   #18

When I went to the Dobeck website, the TFI was no longer available. I'd heard good things about it but had to go with the EJK. So far, not disappointed....kinda easy to tune.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
MAC! GREAT TO SEE YOU BACK BUDDY!

I just copy pasted a similar old post of yours to someone else on here the other day. It's still the best guide there is for setting up a TFI.
I am lost in here , so if you can find that again, it might be a good idea to post it.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperAH1G View Post
When I went to the Dobeck website, the TFI was no longer available. I'd heard good things about it but had to go with the EJK. So far, not disappointed....kinda easy to tune.
I don't know what that device is. I will try to locate it and have a look. Kuryakyn rebranded the TFI once, but if dobeck isn't making then Kury might not have then anyway .

The unit looks good and pretty easy to set up, but you will need to use "The following are optional parts:
OXYGEN SENSOR BYPASSES" because there is no O-2 sensor on 1500 and 1600's. What I have and have installed is Gen 1 uits which needed to be soldered on at the ECU. That was a little difficult in the wires are not easy to see the insulation colors. And worse 2 of the wires are near the same shades. I had to count pin numbers and verify with my wife the colors, and i am not colorblind.

Looks like I am a day late and a dollar short here too. You have this installed now by the look of it. My gen 1 tfi is still tickin' away on my 1600 nad.... Been there since the first week of when i got the bike in June 06 . I had a 01 before and that had a Gen 1 too. I have installed a dozen Gen 1's but nothing more.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by macmac; 06-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:40 PM   #21

Nice to have ya back Mack!
Yea, the powers that be don't really like tuners anymore, they wanna see you adding cams, porting, pistons, exhausts....car co's were bitchin', so the bike mfg'ers jumped on the band wagon....
Where else could you add exhaust/air cleaner, a tfi tuner, and go from about 65hp to 85-90hp. Thats a BIG jump for a bike!
Anyway, the tuners avail. now for the nomads/classics 1500/1600/1700 is Wiseco, Wild Things, GMan, Cobra, Dyna Jet....
The ones for the 1500s are becoming scarce....Its always best to have a backup or 2, if you plan on keeping your bike.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 06-01-2018, 04:50 PM   #22
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Nice to have ya back Mack!
Yea, the powers that be don't really like tuners anymore, they wanna see you adding cams, porting, pistons, exhausts....car co's were bitchin', so the bike mfg'ers jumped on the band wagon....
Where else could you add exhaust/air cleaner, a tfi tuner, and go from about 65hp to 85-90hp. Thats a BIG jump for a bike!
Anyway, the tuners avail. now for the nomads/classics 1500/1600/1700 is Wiseco, Wild Things, GMan, Cobra, Dyna Jet....
The ones for the 1500s are becoming scarce....Its always best to have a backup or 2, if you plan on keeping your bike.....
Of that list I know nothing :) Well I know of the cobra tuner, but didn't like it because idle won't change when you supposedly set it up. I am old school and like something to change I can see, hear, and feel. At the time I was in to these things many had O-2 sender bs we can't use. I know what that is and came from another background where that sender was called Lambda Sond.

I know this injection system from 1968 Volvo where that year it came out new with the 122 Amazon and that same year the Volvo 140 series. Back then it was known as D Jetronic as it almost is after the Japanese remake with a few less things on it. back then you could change fuel mix with the system and no aftermarket parts. It had no O-2 sender then either.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 PM   #23

UPDATE:

With just the Dobeck, I noticed some smoothing of the engine and a little increase in accel. Broke down and did the dual filter mod. Ordered 2 Spectre kits ($40 for the pair) and installed yesterday. Big difference in accel, especially in the lower to mid RPM range. I never (well, rarely) go to high RPMs. Cruising at 70 indicated, roll the throttle on and it's picking up nicely whereas before the poor girl struggled.

Both of these installs are very easy. Highly recommend. Don't know about the paper filters that came in the kits. Worried about rain, but will be swapping for the higher end Spectre filters when time to change. Understand those Spectre filters are the "same type" as K & N, oiled filters.

I imagine an open exhaust would help even more, BUT...I like the look and sound of my stock system. Altho, I truly believe the filters changed the exhaust note some. Sounds a little louder and deeper to me now.