Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #1

2014 Nomad 1700 debaffling help

Hi folks,
I read up on debaffling in the forums (and others) but have a few questions:
-I bought a 1 1/4" hole saw while I was out as I'd read and it slips right inside my inner exhaust...did the size change on the 2014's?
-I read a couple horror stories of the rear-most baffle being welded in there, not coming out with a few wiggles like the YouTube videos claim...any info on this? I don't want to cut and find out I can't get the darn thing out.
-Is the goal to drill out the end plate *around* the entire exhaust exit or to drill out the pipe *inside* the end-plate's pipe opening?
-Any other 2014 specifics I should be concerned with?

My goals for debaffling are:
1. A little more volume, not going for "everybody notice me", just something a little more satisfying.
2. Heat reduction.
3. MPG increase.
4. Save some $$. I may get slip-ons later, but at $500+, it's not my first choice.

Thanks,
Jeff
VBA#3672
VROC#27371
http://www.acousticafeband.com/

2014 Vulcan 1700 Nomad ABS
2005 Vulcan 1500 Classic FI (traded)
1986 Suzuki Savage (sold)
1978 Yamaha XS400 (RIP)

"Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2018, 04:09 PM   #2

You can get all three walls with two extensions. I have done this on three sets of 1700 pipes, Nomad and two Vaqs.
The first wall is the entry into a void, air chamber. Nothing in there. The second wall is the beginning of the catalytic converter. Then into the packing. You will need the second extension in this area, and will need to pull out the hole saw each hole saw depth as it is filled with packing material. A couple of passed at the packing and you are to the back/last/third wall. I have done it on the bike, but it is easier with the pipes of. Shine a flashlight in one end and and you should see the light from the other end when looking in...
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 AM   #3

So, Smokier, help me out here...is the 1-1/4" hole saw *suppposed* to fit inside the exhaust pipe? Is that how I get to what I'm supposed to drill out? I thought I was supposed to drill around the outside of the pipe itself and pull an internal pipe/baffle out of the resulting hole...did I misunderstand?

Thanks,
Jeff
VBA#3672
VROC#27371

1978 Yamaha XS400 (RIP)

"Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 1 Peter 5:5

Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 AM   #4

When I did mine, it was an 09 mind you, I drilled around the outside of the baffle and the whole thing pulled out, quite easily actually. I had to make an insert that would go inside the pipe to keep the hole saw centered, again it was an 09 so there may be a difference.
Not much help I know :-)................Mike

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 AM   #5

Hey Mike, that seems to be the case on a lot of earlier Nomads, however, it seems that things may have changed in the design after 2012 or 2013, as later folks I've been reading up on (forums, YouTube) had a much more difficult time to the point of even screwing up their stock exhaust completely. One in particular found that his rear baffle was actually welded internally instead of slipped on so when he drilled out the external end plate around the pipe and pulled it didn't come out. That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to verify before I start. I already found that the commonly recommended hole saw size of 1-1/4" is too small to fit around the pipe...it literally slips completely inside my pipe, so that tells me things changed with the later exhausts.

Thanks,
Jeff
VBA#3672
VROC#27371

1978 Yamaha XS400 (RIP)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
So, Smokier, help me out here...is the 1-1/4" hole saw *suppposed* to fit inside the exhaust pipe? Is that how I get to what I'm supposed to drill out? I thought I was supposed to drill around the outside of the pipe itself and pull an internal pipe/baffle out of the resulting hole...did I misunderstand?

Thanks,
Jeff
I'd have to find the bi-metal holesaw that was used. However, it went INSIDE the pipe, not just outside the baffle tube. On the 1500, we cut the outside and pulled the unit out. On these newer 1700s I've had to go INSIDE the tube and cut the walls out. Does that help?

Smokier.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #7

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
I'd have to find the bi-metal holesaw that was used. However, it went INSIDE the pipe, not just outside the baffle tube. On the 1500, we cut the outside and pulled the unit out. On these newer 1700s I've had to go INSIDE the tube and cut the walls out. Does that help?
Smokier.
YES! Perfect :)
Everything I was reading was talking about drilling outside the pipe and pulling it out, even on the earlier 1700's. Other than 1 or 2 posts saying they needed a bigger hole saw (which I thought was my issue), everyone else was saying to use a 1/4" hole saw and I'm like "but...how is that big enough?....". lol

Ok, so "IN" the pipe...that makes a lot more sense with mention of extensions and baffle plates 9" in, etc. Man, sometimes I'm thick but that just wasn't making any sense, thanks for bringing back my sanity

Jeff
VBA#3672
VROC#27371

1978 Yamaha XS400 (RIP)

Old 07-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
You can get all three walls with two extensions. I have done this on three sets of 1700 pipes, Nomad and two Vaqs.
The first wall is the entry into a void, air chamber. Nothing in there. The second wall is the beginning of the catalytic converter. Then into the packing.
I got the first wall drilled out on each yesterday and took it for a ride today. Not much different sound-wise, a tad more low end, but from reading that's about what I expected. Definitely more air pushing out of the pipe, though :)

So I think I'll definitely go one more as that seems to be the first level of "ahhh, there it is" from my reading. I don't think I'm going to drill out the packing as I don't want to blow my wife away riding behind me (I switched from 4" to 10" baffles on the old 1500 Classic for just that reason). How far past the 2nd wall is the catalytic converter packing so I don't hit it? And is there any danger of packing blowing out after I drill the 2nd wall out?

Thanks,
Jeff
VBA#3672
VROC#27371

1978 Yamaha XS400 (RIP)

Old 07-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
I got the first wall drilled out on each yesterday and took it for a ride today. Not much different sound-wise, a tad more low end, but from reading that's about what I expected. Definitely more air pushing out of the pipe, though :)

So I think I'll definitely go one more as that seems to be the first level of "ahhh, there it is" from my reading. I don't think I'm going to drill out the packing as I don't want to blow my wife away riding behind me (I switched from 4" to 10" baffles on the old 1500 Classic for just that reason). How far past the 2nd wall is the catalytic converter packing so I don't hit it? And is there any danger of packing blowing out after I drill the 2nd wall out?

Thanks,
Jeff
Greetings Jeff,

I don't *think* so in regard to removing the second wall and leaving the packing in. However, the exhaust is not that loud even with a hole through the packing and the third wall. Since you are only boring a hole through the center, some silencing is still happening. So "as I don't want to blow my wife away riding behind me" wont be an issue.
The bride's Vaq has the discussed "debaffled" procedure and her bike can barely be heard idling when sitting next to the ProPipe with a quiet baffle while idling...
I understand you reasoning, "measure twice, cut once" there's no going back. The packing is in there pretty darn tight, not too worried about it coming out by exhaust pressure alone.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 AM   #10

I have had mine drilled out through the 2nd baffle since it had about 1000 miles on it, a 2012 Voyager, and the catalytic converters are still in place at 81,000+ miles.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM   #11

Jim,
have you ever had any rattling going on after taking baffle plates out? I removed two plates on each muffler and get a rattling on decal. if on the gas at all or pull the clutch in, it stops. wasn't going to drill out the packing, but not sure if that is what is rattling?
Mike
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #12

when you drilled them out , did you get the pieces of metal out ? It looks almost like a quarter . If you dropped that in , it will rattle when you let off the gas.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:52 AM   #13

Yes, I got all 4 pieces out.
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 08-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #14

MRT,

No, no rattling as long as the pieces all came out (as pointed out by TomRTRD).

I might take 'em off and shake it till something becomes clear.

Ride safe,
Smokier