Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-24-2018, 01:24 PM   #31

It raises the rear wheel/swing arm which drops the frame/sa pivot point.

This lowers the frame, engine, exhaust, etc.
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #32

Makes sense, thx.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:53 PM   #33

Lowering the Nomads a inch to 1 1/2" makes a lotta difference, both with foot placement to the ground, making the bike 'feel' lighter, and also improves the handling slightly....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 11-27-2018, 07:37 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I have a 1500 Classic at stock height and I have scraped quite a few times (accidentally of course). I found out that if you touch the floorboards you will also touch the Cobra crash bars (not good). I recently changed to Barons bars and no more touches.

If you are worried about the motor hanging out the bottom of the frame a skid plate can be made that protects the motor and takes away only about 1/2" of ground clearance. I've got one on my bike and I made one for the gent who bought my 1500 Drifter. He had actually hit his motor on a speed bump with some slight damage.
I just put slightly longer bolts with a regular sized nut added in the middle as an early warning system both side of the Cobra bar on mine is scuffed near the bottom the bottom of my Cobra Speedster Shorts have worn a little too. I've not drug the crash bar since extending those bolts. If i get a little aggressive , I'll just hang to the inside and decrease the lean angle and use more steering. I think someone mentioned that earlier.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #35
Advanced Member

Just 1500 miles for me on my 1st ever cruiser versus my decades of 250,000+ miles on my BMWs, and in that time my riding style is much more relaxed on my Vulcan. When I bought it, it already had shorter shocks in the rear, and I suspect shorter fork springs as well. Although the ride is more relaxed, I have already scraped the floorboards far too easily, even on some in city turns. That doesn't fly for me, so changes are in the works. That, and also for that time I need to lean more than the bike can right now, means a lowered chassis is not right for me, even if I am only 5'-6" & 30" inseam.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
Just 1500 miles for me on my 1st ever cruiser versus my decades of 250,000+ miles on my BMWs, and in that time my riding style is much more relaxed on my Vulcan. When I bought it, it already had shorter shocks in the rear, and I suspect shorter fork springs as well. Although the ride is more relaxed, I have already scraped the floorboards far too easily, even on some in city turns. That doesn't fly for me, so changes are in the works. That, and also for that time I need to lean more than the bike can right now, means a lowered chassis is not right for me, even if I am only 5'-6" & 30" inseam.

Try stock front spring height before changing the rear. Ya never know.