Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-04-2019, 02:18 PM   #1

New to trailer towing.

Hey guys, I'd like to hear from those of you who tow trailers behind your bike. I have a 1700 Nomad with Ivan's ECU flash, slip ons and breather. I'm going on a 2000 mile plus trip in June and will be towing a trailer for the first time. It's a pretty light one, the one sold by Norther Tool. I've read up on how to load it and other safety considerations but I'd like to get any tips and wisdom from those of you have more experience towing a trailer.
Ivan's ECU reflash
Chuckster's Risers
Chuckster's Badge Plate
Chuckster's Trailer Hitch
Custom Shaped and Cut Lowers

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2019, 03:36 PM   #2

Which trailer did you get? If it is the one like the Harbor Freight Tag-Along (or even if it isn't) check the hubs to make sure they have sufficient grease in them. The HF trailer had about a tablespoon of something like thick vasoline and they called it being greased. I cleaned all that out and properly greased them before it ever left my house.

If the tires are rated for 60 psi max, you probably don't need that much. Trailer tires are generally intended for much higher gross weights than a motorcycle will be pulling. I find that the trailer rides MUCH smoother at about 30 - 35 psi, and the tires do just fine. They don't overheat at all (a sign of low pressure). But over 45 psi, the trailer bounces like a ping-pong ball. The tires are just too stiff.

You want your tongue weight to be roughly 10% of the total trailer + cargo weight, but that is also dependent on how you load the trailer. With my HF fully loaded, a 3 gal Rotopax gas container mounted on the front and a spare tire, a tongue weight of about 40 lbs is just right. I have to make sure that the heaviest items are towards the rear of the trailer to get 40 - 42 lbs. Without the spare tire, I needed the heavy stuff over the wheels.

Be very aware that your stopping distance will be much longer when pulling a trailer.

Check your trailer lights often. I do a check at almost every stop. I had the right rear light go out between stops on a very rainy ride, so don't assume that your brake or especially your turn signals are working. Make sure you can safely change lanes and start slowing early before making a turn. You should do that anyway with the extra braking a trailer requires.

If you don't already have a wiring harness for the bike to trailer connection, get one that isolates the bike from the trailer, i.e. one that uses relays to run the trailer lights instead of the power for the bike lights. If you get a short in the trailer, it can do some severe damage to the bike's electrical system if it is not isolated.

If you want to get decent gas mileage, keep you speed down. 60 - 65 mph won't lower your gas mileage too much, but every 5 mph over 65 will drastically reduce you mileage.

Old 02-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

New to Trailer towing

I learned a lot from here, but also on FB " Motorcycle Trailer Towing & Touring Group " Lots of help with wiring harnesses, brands types of trailers, set ups, Weight distribition Ect. Over 5,800 members. We have some nice information here on the past posts as to hitches and how to wire. I have some great pics of Making your own harness and Isolator wiring. All WITHOUT cutting any wires. Back to stock in minutes. If you do not minde doing it your self. Many just pay to have one made.

And All of what "Sabre-t " said

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 02-04-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

I built and towed a trailer with my Nomad from Chandler AZ to the Black Hills and back several years ago (3000+ miles). Remember the trailer when turning, and backing is very difficult. Pull through to park when you can. Also, leave yourself more room for braking. Once you're rolling, you hardly know it's back there.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-08-2019, 04:09 PM   #5

With a lite trailer, add space to corners, turns, pulling out, braking, otherwise no big difference.
Also, remember that with a regular ball and hitch you get less degrees of rotation/angle, than your bike is capable of. Restated: If you are accustomed to leaning your bike deeply in curves and corners, without a swivel or pivot hitch, the ball and tongue will not go as fair as your bike can. That is some surprising resistance!

With a heavier trailers (BunkHouse, Jason Bullett, etc.) add lots of room for stopping/braking. Also, expect to loose MPG's. You will probably not get into 6th very often, nor should you. With the heavier trailers, taking off is also a give-yourself-EVEN-more-room recommendation. At speed, cruising, the only time I know it is back there is over ugly bumps. The trailer will give you a second set of input as it crosses the bump/crack/seam...

Ride safe and ENJOY the trip!
Smokier

P.S. I use this SWIVEL TRAILER HITCH to give the bike and trailer more ANGLE separation:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Motorcycle-Sw...1464608&chn=ps
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by smokier; 02-08-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:03 PM   #6

I have the California sidecar escapade trailer, works great, don't hardly know its there, fully loaded it is about 350lb with a 35lb tongue weight. I like it because the wheels don't stick out. need more stopping distance and be careful where you pull into.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty862 View Post
I have the California sidecar escapade trailer, works great, don't hardly know its there, fully loaded it is about 350lb with a 35lb tongue weight. I like it because the wheels don't stick out. need more stopping distance and be careful where you pull into.
Sounds like some of the women at closing time.
VBA 936

Old 02-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #8

They pretty well said everything.....left no stone unturned....
Also, lets add, if pulling a trailer, and you decide to pass, add several hundred feet to your accleration objective to be safe, cause the extra length of your trailer.
Swing wide at filling stations and at Motel lobbies and parking lots....
Pulling a trailer adds weight, and length to your bike, slow down a little, and enjoy the trip! I mounted a shortened dune buggy flag to the rear of my trailer, so To give myself a visual reference when bobbing and weaving thru congested areas, like filling stations/parking lots....
Someone slams on their brakes in front of you, you will form a love affair with the dual disc brakes up front.....
Let me stress this, you will need to pratice a couple of full blown panic stops, to be prepared....test in front of your house, at some uncongested traffic time. You will be glad you did!

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 02-09-2019 at 10:59 AM.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #9

I pull a Time Out Camper with my 2012. I’ve been Ivanized, that’s it. I never towed with a bike before this.

We can honestly barely tell it is even back there at all and it is absolutely silent. We only notice when going over bumps, there’s that extra very little bump from the trailer.

I have a swivel hitch on it.

Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-10-2019 at 10:23 PM.