Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-02-2019, 12:39 AM   #16

Having seen the posts that the service manual is wrong with regards to final drive oil.

I leveled my 1500 nomad, opened the fill hole, and noted that the final gear oil was up to the bottom of the fill hole.

I then drained the final gear oil into a measuring cup. The oil was slightly over 200ml.

I then measured 200 ml into a measuring cup and poured it in. Yep to the bottom of the fill hole which indicates to me that the service manual at least in this regard is correct.

However, I do note that my service manual for the 1500 nomad year 2000, states that the oil should be 80w or 90w depending on the expected temperature one is driving in. Does it make a difference that we can only get multigrade final gear oil or different brands of final gear oil are used.

I did see a you tube video some years ago, where the fellow claimed that you had to flush the final gear with diesel conditioner and then with final gear oil or else the seal would leak. Can't relocate the video now, although it had a lot the of f..."s in it. Really can't vouch for the advice. Maybe someone else can comment on the flush.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2019, 07:16 AM   #17

Multi grade gear oil is fine, I always ran Mobile 1, 75-90 synthetic gear oil. I changed it every other oil change, never a problem.
Flushing the final drive with anything sounds like a waste of time to me.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #18

I change my final gear oil about every 2nd or 3rd engine oil change. I drain both, while on the side stand, then set the bike up level. I fill the final drive with 200ml of Mobil-1 75-90 synthetic gear oil. It almost comes up to the threads of the fill hole, but it would take an additional fair amount to get it to start coming out.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #19

Keep in mind most fluid level checks on most makes/models are done with the bike upright because the bike is upright when filled on the assembly line and is upright when serviced at a dealership. They tend to default to whatever serves the professional techs better, and nobody at the dealership is servicing bikes on the kickstand.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 05-06-2019, 08:37 PM   #20
Top Contributor

I think if you fill the final drive with bike upright and then put it on the sidestand the amount of oil that comes out of the final drive will be negligible.

Maybe a teaspoonful at the most.

Login or Register to Remove Ads