Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Fan Switch leaking

I recently noticed that my radiator was leaking around the fan switch. I removed it and replaced the O ring on it and re installed it according to the service manual. I put new anti-freeze in it and it still leaks. I then took it out again and this time put some Permatex brand gasket sealant made for water pumps and thermostat replacement. I have to wait until tomorrow morning to check it for leaking.
If it still leaks, what options do I have? I have had the radiator out 3 times now working on this and I sure would like to fix this leak.
Has anybody else have this problem before?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-17-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

I forgot to mention that I have a 2005 1600 Nomad.

Old 09-17-2019, 07:22 PM   #3

Don't go wrenching down on it super tight....could split it thru the threads....
Usually cleaning the threads good on the switch, then the threads in the radiator are usually good enough.
Sometimes, its not the radiator or the O'Ring, sometimes its the center of the switch letting go....
Need to pay really close attention to the threads and the surrounding areas....make sure they are clean. when you feel like you can't possibly get it any cleaner, clean it really good one more time. Then spray it with contact cleaner or alcohol, and wipe it down good....
Cases like this is why I use the dye....
I'm too damn old to be screwing around with oil/coolant leaks that could be coming from 3 or 4 diff. places....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 09-17-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Old 09-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

I just went out this morning and put some coolant in it and it still leaks. So o o , I am going to clean it again and replace the O ring again and try it again. I looked at the switch and the center piece is not loose or wet and while it was leaking , I felt around it with a Q tip and it is coming from the left side of the switch/radiatior.

So, I am going to try it again.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyboltz View Post
I just went out this morning and put some coolant in it and it still leaks. So o o , I am going to clean it again and replace the O ring again and try it again. I looked at the switch and the center piece is not loose or wet and while it was leaking , I felt around it with a Q tip and it is coming from the left side of the switch/radiatior.

So, I am going to try it again.
I would lube the O ring lightly so it will not kink when it is put in.

TX1700 on VBA
plunge on Texas VROC
VROC #36447
VBA #02703
Ivan's reflash
2013 Vulcan Voyager ABS
2002 Road Star (sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

Just to post an update-
I went out and cleaned it super good- used Dawn dish soap and nylon scrub brush. got it super clean. Bought another O ring and put some faucet oil on the O ring and installed it again.
It still leaked. My neighbor and I was standing there looking at it and then he got a magnifying glass out and looked at it and found a crack in the lower radiator pan starting at the fan switch hole and going up to the radiator fins.
Since I am looking at purchasing another radiator, we decided to try a little JB Weld on the area (just to see it it works as good as advertised). So right now I am cleaning the area in preparation for using the JB Weld.
So, I am going to look for a replacement radiator.