Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-22-2020, 01:28 AM   #1

Probably my last post on hereh

Hey guys this will probably be my last post on here as some of you know last year I sold my 2009 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad. I loved that bike but because of my Diabetes I lost mussel mass and could no longer hold the bike monster bike up.

900 pounds is allot more than 453 pounds believe me. I am really enjoying the light weight of this bike. It has all the power I need being light it is about what the Kawasaki had if not more. If any of you have problems try out some of the light weight cruisers you will really enjoy it.

The video starts out showing some of the bikes I have had in the past years not all of them.

I wish you all well during this time that the world has gone through and hope you are all paying attention to what you are doing in life.

Safe rides everyone.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #2

Yah know Dave, As they say on SRK Cycles, " Its not what you ride it's where you are going." No reason you can not lurk around and sound in from time to time. The things you have learned may come in handy for someone sometime. You never know.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 06-22-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I went from a Voyager to a Yamaha 1300V Star Tourer. Its about 150 lbs lighter but feels a lot more than that. 720 lbs feels like nothing after the Voyager.

Old 06-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #4

Hey Dave, like mbarr10 said, stick around and post something once in a while. I have always enjoyed your input to the forum.

Good luck on the new ride

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-24-2020, 02:33 AM   #5

You don't have to leave , there are people on here with all kinds of bikes. Experience is a good teacher and you still have a lot to contribute. I too am an insulin dependent diabetic And know where your coming from on losing leg strength. I Bought a VN 900 for the around here stuff and kept the 1500 as well. I got out Saturday morning to ride around and ended up doing 316 miles before i came home. Any way l get it on the needing something lighter most of the time but as everybody has said stick around. Nice Intruder btw

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-24-2020, 11:44 AM   #6

I also follow SRK Cycles on You Tube he has a pretty great channel actually. I will certainly check in once and awhile that is for sure.

The Vulcan line is a great bike do not get me wrong but it does has it problems with being so very top heavy this I noticed the first time I rode the bike. It does sound awesome once you put a nice set of pipes on it like I did really nice I preferred it to any other bike I have ever heard bar none. It did perform well once you did get it Ivanized but before that was not a performer at all it lacked it power for it's displacement. That being said I believe all bikes need ECU touch ups because of the how they are factory tuned.

Now onto my experience with riding bikes. The best bike to date I ever had was my 1982 Goldwing Interstate it had no flaws and required no maintenance really. It ran perfect and had awesome power and the seat was amazing from the factory. 450 thousand kms later I proved my point on that one. But then now I have seen a different light.

I always thought bigger heavier even monster size was what I would prefer and want. That has changes since getting my Intruder the thought on that. It is comfortable now it has all the power I want and well guys it is beautiful in a parking lot to throw around and it is just awesome on the road has all the power I want by any rating. The only downfall to the Intruder is the gas tank I only can get 160 kms out of a fill. Drives me crazy.

If I was younger my thought process now would change I would stay with a much lighter bike it is more fun you can throw them around more they are just easier to do anything on. They also go like stink.

I loved my Vulcan Nomad I really did but but but. I will stop there.

Dave

Last edited by buckey1313; 06-24-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny 606 View Post
You don't have to leave , there are people on here with all kinds of bikes. Experience is a good teacher and you still have a lot to contribute. I too am an insulin dependent diabetic And know where your coming from on losing leg strength. I Bought a VN 900 for the around here stuff and kept the 1500 as well. I got out Saturday morning to ride around and ended up doing 316 miles before i came home. Any way l get it on the needing something lighter most of the time but as everybody has said stick around. Nice Intruder btw
Yep, I'm on my second bike since getting rid of the Classic......fun to read stuff if nothing else.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:28 PM   #8

No need to leave, heck I didn't sold my Nomad in 2014 and still check in regularly. This is a nice forum.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 06-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #9

[/QUOTE]

What he said! I'm a Type 2 diabetic, it isn't bad, but I have nerve damage in my feet. I've lost weight, exercising more, its getting better, but thats why I'm so hell bent on triking my Nomad.
The Vaquero is a easy trike project.
I have a 60's 283 chevy coupled to a 60's 3 speed truck trans, a S10 rearend. Tank, neck, frontend, floorboards is gonna be Nomad, Drivetrain will be all GM. Saddlebags will be mounted inside of the rear wheels....
I have a old set of prestine really wide chrome reverse wheels with baby moon hubcaps, that will fit a set of wide Mickey Thompsons....
Once I get the lower frame tubes welded up and mounts finished, the ole 2001 Nomad will be under the plasma torch....

Its a bitch trying to post pics here.....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 06-25-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLady58 View Post
Its a bitch trying to post pics here.....
Looking forward to those pics DL, & we'll walk you through the process if you need help... Didn't happen without them, you KNOW that.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)