Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #16
Top Contributor

2,000 kms on the Commander III's now and no regrets. Comfortable and good in the corners.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2020, 10:24 PM   #17
Advanced Member

When I put on new tires I ride around the yard for about 10 laps then I go to the nearest gravel road and ride it. Helps cut the mold release agent off (that's why they are slick).

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:07 AM   #18

I'm going to resurrect one of these MCIII threads with an update on my latest thoughts about the tire.

I've had a pair of MCIII Touring tires fitted for a little less than 7,000km's now, and tread-wise they look about new still. Until this weekend, I thought they were about the best set of tires I'd ever fitted to a large cruiser.

This weekend, my mind has been changed a little. So now I'm going to say they're about the best set of tires I've ever had fitted to a large cruiser for dry weather riding.

We took the Voyager away to visit my wife's father for the weekend. Typical spring weather meant there was likely to be a few showers along the way, so we were likely to encounter some wet at some point in a five hour journey.

We certainly did... About two hours in we caught a torrential downpour around the edges of a heat built thunderstorm. And along with that came two seriously bad pucker moments when the rear tire suddenly let go in very wet conditions. The first was going into a moderate right-hander with the cruise set - nothing too sharp. The rear went suddenly sideways & saw me wrestling with the bars to avoid a tank-slapping wobble, and then half an hour later the rear aquaplaned again, upright on a straight road this time, with the cruise set once more.

Scary stuff, both of them, and with fairly heavy rain for the rest of the journey I found myself riding on familiar roads where I'd usually be dragging the boards - as though I had bars of soap front & back.

I certainly didn't set the cruise much again.

It's knocked my confidence in these tires a little. We have quite a bit of wet weather down here, and this isn't something I've ever experienced with any other tire.

Dry, they're excellent. Fortunately the return journey was hot & dry. Confidence returned to some extent.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 11-07-2021, 07:22 AM   #19
Top Contributor

Thx for the info, Peg. Have a nice day, my friend!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 11-07-2021, 07:13 PM   #20

Thanks for the updated review. Wet roads and tar snake traction is what I don't like about MCIIs. Won't use MCIIIs until I see more reviews about traction, but this confirms what I suspected: they are still too hard to have good wet traction.

BTW, I've always read that you should never use cruise control in rain because of what you described, so I don't, but since the Voyager CC gets hinky in rain, I wouldn't anyway.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-07-2021, 09:42 PM   #21
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I'm going to resurrect one of these MCIII threads with an update on my latest thoughts about the tire.

I've had a pair of MCIII Touring tires fitted for a little less than 7,000km's now, and tread-wise they look about new still. Until this weekend, I thought they were about the best set of tires I'd ever fitted to a large cruiser.

This weekend, my mind has been changed a little. So now I'm going to say they're about the best set of tires I've ever had fitted to a large cruiser for dry weather riding.

We took the Voyager away to visit my wife's father for the weekend. Typical spring weather meant there was likely to be a few showers along the way, so we were likely to encounter some wet at some point in a five hour journey.

We certainly did... About two hours in we caught a torrential downpour around the edges of a heat built thunderstorm. And along with that came two seriously bad pucker moments when the rear tire suddenly let go in very wet conditions. The first was going into a moderate right-hander with the cruise set - nothing too sharp. The rear went suddenly sideways & saw me wrestling with the bars to avoid a tank-slapping wobble, and then half an hour later the rear aquaplaned again, upright on a straight road this time, with the cruise set once more.

Scary stuff, both of them, and with fairly heavy rain for the rest of the journey I found myself riding on familiar roads where I'd usually be dragging the boards - as though I had bars of soap front & back.

I certainly didn't set the cruise much again.

It's knocked my confidence in these tires a little. We have quite a bit of wet weather down here, and this isn't something I've ever experienced with any other tire.

Dry, they're excellent. Fortunately the return journey was hot & dry. Confidence returned to some extent.
I had an incident on the Commander III's with about 10,000 kms on the tires. I was on my 1300 V Star. It was a dry day in the summer and I had to make a emergency stop from about 30kmph. The back tire locked up and the tire slid for about 20 feet. It was like I was driving on ice. It really surprised me. I made a comment in an earlier post in this thread about how slick the tires were when new. The tires rode really nice in the dry at speed and cornered well. I never rode it in the wet so I can't comment on their performance in the wet. I am not 100% sure I would buy another set.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:05 AM   #22

I have a post on here somewhere telling how freaking bad Commander 2's are on wet roads. I took them off my Victory Kingpin with only 1500 miles on them and put them out for the garbage truck.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #23
Top Contributor

The best tire I have used in the wet was the Avon Cobras on my 05 Nomad.
Great longevity out of them too.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:18 AM   #24
Top Contributor

Thanks for this last info, mates.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.