Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-13-2022, 12:29 PM   #1

I need to silence my 1500!

First post in a long time, of course seeking help!
I didn't ride the Nomad last year, after getting a new Versys. I want to put it back in service, but the dysfunctional state of NY has passed a law stating that basically no vehicle can be louder than stock. I would love to ignore it, but passing inspection seems unlikely!

The bike (2004) has intake, V&H pipes and a Power Commander. It was dyno-tuned by a very reputable builder. Now it is illegal.

Do I have any options, other than returning to stock? (At considerable expense, I might add) I found a stock 2008 exhaust that I think will fit. Some part numbers differ, but the pics are absolutely identical. BUT, they have been debaffled.

What would you do? Sorry, "move" is not an option (at this time)!

I tried to link to a photo, but it is not showing up.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HbRW5YUTqSM4SP2W9
VBA #03234
2004 Nomad 1500 FI, The fastest color!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by CongaJon; 03-13-2022 at 12:33 PM.

Old 03-13-2022, 03:07 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I think there are quieter baffles available for the V&H pipes ? Chuckster made them but I am not sure if they are still available.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...hlight=baffles

If they are no longer available from Chuckster he might know of an alternative. He is a forum member and will probably respond to an email from you at his website.

https://chucksterscustoms.com/

Last edited by redjay; 03-13-2022 at 03:22 PM.

Old 03-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #3

I wonder if the new law would apply if you changed the exhaust prior to the law passing. You know....grandfathered in. Also maybe there is a place you can go that would look the other way when inspection time comes.

Old 03-13-2022, 11:38 PM   #4

Thank you for the suggestions. Sadly, bikes have to date back to the 70s to be exempt!

I don't know how I missed that Gadget baffle mod, but I'm thinking I will go that route. I found one shop that has the replacements in stock. Tried to pull one of the baffles to verify, because I'm honestly not sure they are Baggers. Not surprisingly, it was seriously stuck! It was 20 degrees and I was aggravated, so I hit it with PB Blaster and will try again when it warms up a little.

Should I expect to need a PC remap as a result of longer wrapped baffles?
VBA #03234

Old 03-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #5

Check this link out....

https://www.semasan.com/legislative-...se-legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CongaJon View Post
Thank you for the suggestions. Sadly, bikes have to date back to the 70s to be exempt!

I don't know how I missed that Gadget baffle mod, but I'm thinking I will go that route. I found one shop that has the replacements in stock. Tried to pull one of the baffles to verify, because I'm honestly not sure they are Baggers. Not surprisingly, it was seriously stuck! It was 20 degrees and I was aggravated, so I hit it with PB Blaster and will try again when it warms up a little.

Should I expect to need a PC remap as a result of longer wrapped baffles?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-14-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
Advanced Member

When I bought my used Classic the previous owner had all the goodie done: Baron intake, smog stuff gone, Power Commander, V&H Bigshot exhaust, and though it was WAY too loud I rode it home 300 miles as is. Got home and installed the V&H Quiet Baffles, wrapped in packing. Brought the harsh edge of the exhaust note down, but still too loud for my taste. I did nothing to reprogram the Power Commander, seems to run fine as is. When I convert the exhaust to V&H True Duals this year I will make a set of longer baffles to tone down the noise more yet (I'm used to my BMW with the Remus exhaust, only slightly loud when I get on it hard).

That's just me. For you and your bike you may want it retuned. The additional exhaust back pressure may move the torque curve down a few hundred rpm where we actually use it more. I think the V&H mufflers are long enough that you could weld two of the baffles together end to end and still fit in the mufflers. That would also tone the harsh noise down to an acceptable level. Does NY state require a sound test to maintain the bike registration?

Old 03-14-2022, 05:27 PM   #7

I had a set of V&H Cruzers on my 800, and they were way too loud. I fixed it with a pair of drag pipe baffles welded into the inside end of the V&H baffles. They can be tuned to sound just how you want them by bending the tabs in or out of the exhaust flow.

If you needed them just to pass inspection, they can be bolted in place instead of welded.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 03-14-2022, 10:18 PM   #8

Wow, thanks again for all the info! Yeah, the law is really ambiguous (of course), but I think it does say cannot be louder than stock. So, I assume they have a reference for every vehicle at various RPMs?? Somehow, I don't believe they actually test it to inspect. Probably just a reason to pull anyone over at any time and generate some revenue. After all, who rides motorcycles and drives pickups?

I live away up north, where we tend to summarily ignore a lot of the BS emanating from downstate. I think I will do the extension/wrapping mod and see what happens. Honestly, the bike is too loud for me anyway. I already pulled the baffles and wrapped them in stove rope a couple years back. Still can't get the pecker woods out now, though!
VBA #03234