Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-26-2022, 10:59 AM   #1

need a tank

I got a 2000 Nomad FI 1500 from my dad that he had rotting in his garage for 10+ years and the tank is rusted out. I'm trying to find a new tank but my tank has a big hole in the middle of it under the instrument cluster where the mounting bolt is and where the wires and speedo cable come through and whenever I look for a tank all the tanks I find available that say they're for the FI model are solid and all the ones with holes in the top say they're carbureted. Am I missing something? My instrument cluster also looks different from alot of the ones that come up when I look for new instrument clusters.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll post some pics when I get home.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-26-2022, 07:40 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Check the parts diagrams on ronayers.com

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/...fa37/fuel-tank

Last edited by redjay; 07-26-2022 at 07:43 PM.

Old 07-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #3

You didn't say if the tank is just surface rust or the tank is rusted through with holes in it..
If it is just surface rust, you can chemically clean and seal it with a coating. Eastwood Industries has coatings that will seal the inside of the tank. If it has just a few holes, some Radiator shops can braze the bottom up without ruining the paint that shows.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:12 PM   #4

They did make both. Mine is the FI. The tank in the schematic for the FI model matches what mine looks like but when I Google trying to find a new tank the tanks that come up when I search for the FI tank are mounted differently and seem to mount the instrument cluster differently too.

This is the schematic

My tank mounts like this which matches the schematic

But all the tanks I see that say they’re FI look like this

Old 07-26-2022, 10:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamej View Post
You didn't say if the tank is just surface rust or the tank is rusted through with holes in it..
If it is just surface rust, you can chemically clean and seal it with a coating. Eastwood Industries has coatings that will seal the inside of the tank. If it has just a few holes, some Radiator shops can braze the bottom up without ruining the paint that shows.
It doesn’t have any holes but the metal is really soft and I don’t trust it. I ride with a club and don’t want to end up with something happening when I’m 400+ miles from home.

Scratch that… I poked it and poked a big hole in the tank lol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by bassfreake; 08-02-2022 at 05:00 PM.

Old 07-27-2022, 05:38 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I could be mistaken but I think there were some years when they made carbureted models and FI models in the same year which was right around 2000 ?

Maybe someone can confirm this ?

Old 08-02-2022, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I could be mistaken but I think there were some years when they made carbureted models and FI models in the same year which was right around 2000 ?

Maybe someone can confirm this ?
You are correct and 2000 is one of those years. The main reason I say this one is fuel injected is because it says “Fuel Injected” on the bags lol

Old 08-03-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
Advanced Member

You need a 1999 or 2000 model year tank. The 2001 gained capacity and a electronic spedo and will not interchange.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
You need a 1999 or 2000 model year tank. The 2001 gained capacity and a electronic spedo and will not interchange.
yeah that's what I've been doing. I keep searching for 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad FI VN1500 gas tanks and what comes up is the tanks for the electronic speedo. When I look for 1999 tanks all that comes up is carb tanks.

How hard would it be to maybe install an electronic speedo sensor so I can go ahead and use the bigger tank? I keep finding PLENTY of those and I'd appreciate the extra capacity anyway.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Late to this discussion. But why not take your tank to a qualified TIG welder and have the rust areas replaced with new metal? Custom bike builders regularly construct fuel tanks from scratch, formed and welded. Someone with the right skills should be able to create a patch and weld it into the tank, especially if this on the underside of the tank. Sure, you may need to have the tank painted, but unless you are lucky to find the right tank, in the right color, you'll be getting it painted anyway. If the patch is only done on the underside, and skilled TIG welder can do it without requiring the visible areas of the tank to be painted.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfreake View Post
How hard would it be to maybe install an electronic speedo sensor so I can go ahead and use the bigger tank? I keep finding PLENTY of those and I'd appreciate the extra capacity anyway.
Not difficult at all if you just buy a GPS speedo.
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog